FF7R PS5 announcement coming.

BloodyHell

On 2/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, Paperclyp said:

This is sort of true but also no different than not buying Halo 4 because there will be a Halo 5.

No this is absolutely true. This is a remake of one game split into multiple releases. This is not a sequel coming out this is the next part of FF7 this is not FF8. No one is buying FF7 remake in hopes to play FF8. 

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

No this is absolutely true. This is a remake of one game split into multiple releases. This is not a sequel coming out this is the next part of FF7 this is not FF8. No one is buying FF7 remake in hopes to play FF8. 

The FF8 thing is a non starter since FF titles don’t share plots game to game. 

Two main points tho: 

1. Again, without spoiling it FF7R is not what you think it is. I’l trying to be respectful and not go farther than that, but you’ll just have to take my word for it that that matters and I am making a point in good faith, not just saying you’re wrong to argue. 

2. With that in mind it comes down to the somewhat arbitrary and certainly subjective line on how comfortable you are with a certain arc wraps up when an over arching (lol) arc is still unresolved. That is where the Halo 2 example is particularly apt, or really any of either of the trilogies or he’ll even any of the games at all. There’s possibly and maybe even probably a world where Halo 2-3 were a single game. It didn’t turn out that way, but it doesn’t make 2’s conclusion satisfying simply because the game developer decided welp let’s cut it off there - they’ll get the conclusion in the next one. That’s what I’m trying to get at - most people were annoyed at the ending but they more than likely in retrospect wouldn’t have been like “well I’m not buying halo 2 until 3 is out because it’s not the full game,” which is essentially the stance you have taken with 7R.

Now, if a person wants to argue that the arc that concludes in 7R is not good enough for them or they felt cheated or whatever else, I wouldn’t quibble with that. But I think not buying it SOLELY on the premise that you’ve suggested is a mistake, especially when again, that first part I talked about looms large. 

20 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

The FF8 thing is a non starter since FF titles don’t share plots game to game. 

Two main points tho: 

1. Again, without spoiling it FF7R is not what you think it is. I’l trying to be respectful and not go farther than that, but you’ll just have to take my word for it that that matters and I am making a point in good faith, not just saying you’re wrong to argue. 

2. With that in mind it comes down to the somewhat arbitrary and certainly subjective line on how comfortable you are with a certain arc wraps up when an over arching (lol) arc is still unresolved. That is where the Halo 2 example is particularly apt, or really any of either of the trilogies or he’ll even any of the games at all. There’s possibly and maybe even probably a world where Halo 2-3 were a single game. It didn’t turn out that way, but it doesn’t make 2’s conclusion satisfying simply because the game developer decided welp let’s cut it off there - they’ll get the conclusion in the next one. That’s what I’m trying to get at - most people were annoyed at the ending but they more than likely in retrospect wouldn’t have been like “well I’m not buying halo 2 until 3 is out because it’s not the full game,” which is essentially the stance you have taken with 7R.

Now, if a person wants to argue that the arc that concludes in 7R is not good enough for them or they felt cheated or whatever else, I wouldn’t quibble with that. But I think not buying it SOLELY on the premise that you’ve suggested is a mistake, especially when again, that first part I talked about looms large. 

Yeah this is what I was trying to say earlier -- FF7R absolutely completes an important character arc and sets the stage for something new afterwards. It's not like it ends in the middle of a giant battle before any resolution takes place *cough* Halo 2 *cough*. It works as a standalone game as well as Mass Effect 1 does or any number of games in a trilogy.

I also don't think it would be fair to characterize the dev team as trying to just make a quick buck. A lot of work and love was clearly put into this game. It feels polished and complete.

I mean, that doesn't mean the game as to work for you, but these comparisons to being an incomplete game just don't hold up.

If the game had that kind of cliffhanger, had materia that only leveled up maybe once or you just didn’t get a lot of materia at all just like in the first game by the end of Midgar, then maybe I could buy the incomplete thing.

But it’s simply not true. You are playing a full game with plenty of leveling, plenty of spells, a ton of bosses, a full-fledged soundtrack that is hours and  hours bigger than the original, character arcs, and an end.

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

If the game had that kind of cliffhanger, had materia that only leveled up maybe once or you just didn’t get a lot of materia at all just like in the first game by the end of Midgar, then maybe I could buy the incomplete thing.

But it’s simply not true. You are playing a full game with plenty of leveling, plenty of spells, a ton of bosses, a full-fledged soundtrack that is hours and  hours bigger than the original, character arcs, and an end.

But how are they going to handle materia, inventory, character levels, etc in the next part? :thinking:

Normally when you leave Midgar in the original game you'll have all your stuff because the game isn't broken up.

(What they will probably do (if they are smart) is make a PS5 version of remake that allows you to import your PS4  save, then carry that save to the next game)

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But how are they going to handle materia, inventory, character levels, etc in the next part? :thinking:

Normally when you leave Midgar in the original game you'll have all your stuff because the game isn't broken up.

(What they will probably do (if they are smart) is make a PS5 version of remake that allows you to import your PS4  save, then carry that save to the next game)

They could raise the level caps as they would MMORPGs.

I’m actually curious as to how long this next one will take because now they have to battle system down, and they have plenty of character themes already finished and orchestrated, so they don’t have to start from scratch on a lot of this anymore.

23 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Part of a full game for me is telling a full and complete story. This isn't that. Just because they want to handwave retcon a bunch of shit and basically write a new story doesn't mean that the story is complete, and as I only had to buy original FF7 once and got both the entire story and entire world (and it was much longer than FF7R) this is not a good sell for me.

Wowee zowie it completed some character arcs! That means it's like the Halo trilogy!

I don't even have an incredibly high bar or anything for a "complete" story, I play the Legend of Heroes series, each 2 games in that series is basically a full game split into two separate titles, but that's because they're very long and tell a far grander story than what we saw here, and also they don't launch at full price. Every single one of those games, for the most part, is longer than ORIGINAL Final Fantasy 7. I don't need this to be that, those games are also very slow and not action-packed, but I feel like FF7 was already action packed without action packing it full of filler nonsense to pad out the playtime so they wouldn't have to make environments outside of Midgar.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Part of a full game for me is telling a full and complete story. This isn't that. Just because they want to handwave retcon a bunch of shit and basically write a new story doesn't mean that the story is complete, and as I only had to buy original FF7 once and got both the entire story and entire world (and it was much longer than FF7R) this is not a good sell for me.

Wowee zowie it completed some character arcs! That means it's like the Halo trilogy!

No character arcs were completed as far as I know in the original game by that point in the story. This game functions as one that actually completes them so there is progression from the beginning to the end. So of course a full story was just told. We already understand that you’re not getting the same story, so you’re still not going to get the first game’s story by the end of the series. You’re going to get how much longer story where many things completely different happen.

Also I just played the original a couple years ago and I definitely beat all the optional bosses and everything in less time than this game. I’d have to double check to be sure since many of those hours on the original we’re just grinding.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

No character arcs were completed as far as I know in the original game by that point in the story. This game functions as one that actually completes them so there is progression from the beginning to the end. So of course a full story was just told. We already understand that you’re not getting the same story, so you’re still not going to get the first game’s story by the end of the series. You’re going to get how much longer story where many things completely different happen.

Also I just played the original a couple years ago and I definitely beat all the optional bosses and everything in less time than this game. I’d have to double check to be sure since many of those hours on the original we’re just grinding.

If this game took you longer to beat than original FF7 you were either playing a guide or you blew chunky ass at Remake.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I don't even have an incredibly high bar or anything for a "complete" story, I play the Legend of Heroes series, each 2 games in that series is basically a full game split into two separate titles, but that's because they're very long and tell a far grander story than what we saw here, and also they don't launch at full price. Every single one of those games, for the most part, is longer than ORIGINAL Final Fantasy 7. I don't need this to be that, those games are also very slow and not action-packed, but I feel like FF7 was already action packed without action packing it full of filler nonsense to pad out the playtime so they wouldn't have to make environments outside of Midgar.

I explicitly said the fact that they complete character arcs (and come to a natural transition point) is what makes it *NOT* like the Halo trilogy which didn't even do that. If you're going to mock me at least do it right!   The comparison is far closer to the ending of Mass Effect 1 where the Reapers are still out there preparing to attack.

It's fine to say you didn't like what was there of course. I deeply disagree with that and think what they added does a good job fleshing out the characters, but sure if you didn't like what's there that's fine. It's simply not an incomplete game though, or if you're going to use that metric an enormous percentage of games are "incomplete" too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Wrong on both counts. 

I mean, I believe you, I 0don't know how though. It took me about 40 hours to beat FF7R and its post game content, which is mostly just the battle arena.

No way I can beat all of the content in FF7 that quickly. Especially not with the Weapons included.

Either way, FF7R was one of my favorite games of 2020. The only thing holding me back from replaying it is that I want to wait for a PS5 version. Im in no way complaining about FF7R, I just agree that it isn't complete. Of course that's mostly because this is the first time one of the most popular games ever made was remade and split up. Being deeply invested in the story and history of the game, I personally felt it was incomplete. But its nothing im mad about, I've never looked forward to a series of games more. Knowing that I don’t know what will happen next is exciting and I look forward to it with great impatience.