I made prik nam pla today and nothing will ever be the same

Kal-El814

When I was in Bangkok 8 years ago, I had prik nam pla for the first time and I immediately fell in love. It’s two ingredients, Thai fish sauce (fermented anchovies with salt and sugar), and sliced Thai chilis. Sometimes it also has lime juice, sugar, or a couple slices of garlic, but at its simplest it’s just chilis (prik) and fish sauce (nam pla). Mine has a few slivers of garlic in it but no sugar or juice, and I let the mixture marinade for a couple hours before using it. 

As you’d imagine it’s quite aromatic and rather spicy. I made myself some basic Chinese American style chicken and broccoli tonight and it was pretty good on its own. But I loaded up white rice with the prik nam pla to go with it and it’s a flavor sensation. My mouth is on fire and I never want this feeling to end. 

If you like heat in your food and the notion of fermented anchovy in liquid form doesn’t turn you off, I highly recommend you give it a go. My ratio was about 1/2 cups of Megachef brand fish sauce (the one with the yellow cap, not the one with the blue label), 12 Thai chilis sliced into about 1/8 - 1/4 inch pieces, and half a clove of garlic sliced thinly. Stir it up, let it rest for a couple hours, then go to town. It’ll keep in the fridge for a bit after that but I’d eat it at room temperature. I’d also probably keep it in a glass container, I imagine it’d be hard to get the aroma out of plastic. 

My only regret is that for no good reason, I waited 8 years after my first trip to Southeast Asia to decide I should have it on hand at all times. 

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Dude nice but seriously pics?

It’s not much to look at :p

wedKnMy.jpg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Great stuff but I have to have lime in it. I like it with Fish and Chips in place of Vinegar as well

I do like it with lime, but this time I didn’t use it in favor of adding a squeeze when I’m dishing it out. Your fish and chip idea sounds incredible. 

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Damn I have to try.

I heartily recommend it. You could get away with cutting the recipe in half and you’d be out probably $5 for ingredients. 

A lot of the spicy food I’m used to eating is South Asian or American, so the fish sauce really adds a different dimension. 

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I have the blue label Megachef. What’s the difference? The only thing I don’t like about it is it’s a big ass bottle that I have had for like literally 3 years.

Dunno specifically beyond some friends saying that the yellow bottle caters to Thai taste and the blue bottle caters to Vietnamese taste.

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I heartily recommend it. You could get away with cutting the recipe in half and you’d be out probably $5 for ingredients. 

A lot of the spicy food I’m used to eating is South Asian or American, so the fish sauce really adds a different dimension. 

Dunno specifically beyond some friends saying that the yellow bottle caters to Thai taste and the blue bottle caters to Vietnamese taste.

Ah interesting, thanks! I was going to buy Red Boat when I finished this huge ass bottle, but that is also Vietnamese, so now I am not sure.

Just now, Joe said:

Ah interesting, thanks! I was going to buy Red Boat when I finished this huge ass bottle, but that is also Vietnamese, so now I am not sure.

Yeah I imagine the sauces and oils I bought at the Asian market today will last my white ass until the end of time :p

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

When I was in Bangkok 8 years ago, I had prik nam pla for the first time and I immediately fell in love. It’s two ingredients, Thai fish sauce (fermented anchovies with salt and sugar), and sliced Thai chilis. Sometimes it also has lime juice, sugar, or a couple slices of garlic, but at its simplest it’s just chilis (prik) and fish sauce (nam pla). Mine has a few slivers of garlic in it but no sugar or juice, and I let the mixture marinade for a couple hours before using it. 

As you’d imagine it’s quite aromatic and rather spicy. I made myself some basic Chinese American style chicken and broccoli tonight and it was pretty good on its own. But I loaded up white rice with the prik nam pla to go with it and it’s a flavor sensation. My mouth is on fire and I never want this feeling to end. 

If you like heat in your food and the notion of fermented anchovy in liquid form doesn’t turn you off, I highly recommend you give it a go. My ratio was about 1/2 cups of Megachef brand fish sauce (the one with the yellow cap, not the one with the blue label), 12 Thai chilis sliced into about 1/8 - 1/4 inch pieces, and half a clove of garlic sliced thinly. Stir it up, let it rest for a couple hours, then go to town. It’ll keep in the fridge for a bit after that but I’d eat it at room temperature. I’d also probably keep it in a glass container, I imagine it’d be hard to get the aroma out of plastic. 

My only regret is that for no good reason, I waited 8 years after my first trip to Southeast Asia to decide I should have it on hand at all times. 

Wow I can really see it

Just now, Jason said:

Whole Foods has a weak ass fresh chili game tbh. May have something dried though.

Yeah, that’s a good point. They’re sometimes called bird’s eye chili, which I have occasionally seen fresh at Whole Foods up near me, though that could be due to there being a lot of Asian people in some local neighborhoods.

Looks like you can order them fresh on Amazon, but they come by the pound and I dunno what the fuck you’d do with a pound of fresh Thai chilis other than open a restaurant :p

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Whole Foods has a weak ass fresh chili game tbh. May have something dried though.

Does it? The one by me has Anaheim Chiles and no other store does. Then again, I'm sure in Cali every store has those lol.

22 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Made some krapow tonight and used the sauce liberally. Try to ignore how absolutely shit I am at photographing food and focus instead on imagining how delicious this is. 

0js5BTp.jpeg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

If looks like you took a shit on a small pile of rice.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Joe said:

Your brain stopped developing when you turned 16. Amazing.

lol....that's it? That's the best you could come up with?

:ohsnap:

If you haven't noticed, 99% of my post in this section of the boards is nonsense. You take my posts so seriously lol. Relax. Time for work now. I will think about you Joe throughout my miserable day. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

lol....that's it? That's the best you could come up with?

:ohsnap:

If you haven't noticed, 99% of my post in this section of the boards is nonsense. You take my posts so seriously lol. Relax. Time for work now. I will think about you Joe throughout my miserable day. 

i get that you’re joking. I mean that your sense of humor is like high school level shit. It’s pathetic.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

i get that you’re joking. I mean that your sense of humor is like high school level shit. It’s pathetic.

You mean like the sense of humor riddled in this forum? Gotcha. Believe me, my sense of humor outside this board is a bit more advanced than the juvenile things I say here. I do it out if boredom and self satisfaction.

For instance, when typing my post above about the food looking like someone took a shit on a small pile of rice. I was smiling when I typed that. That's all I care about. Just ignore my posts. 

• Haha 1

I didn't take pictures of it... either because I was too hungry or because best shattered my self-esteem... but I made Hainanese chicken rice yesterday and it was excellent. I took a bunch of the excess skin, crisped it up and cooked it with the rice for some extra kick. Also served the poaching liquid that was left over chicken soup style and it was great.