Trudeau: A year in photographs

The photographer for the PMO posted a retrospective on 2020 with his favourite photos. They really highlight the human element of a leader who is a real person:

Here are few highlights I appreciated from his crisis-plagued second term (with the accompanying comment from the photographer, Adam Scotti, or me (in italics)):

1*BkGRJ6icpbaxvaLGB1jdcw.jpeg

PM Trudeau leaves his office after being updated regarding flight PS752. The clenched fist really stands out to me. Ottawa. 2020/01/08

1*qCxVVu4KxFVI3aukL0-x-w.png

The day he met with families of the flight PS752.

1*JY2QXW-PMJBSdANJsgQEDQ.jpeg

PM Trudeau takes a phone call on RCAF01. 2020/02/14

1*G7EOt6o-cQ_gZTmQv2wk7A.png

If you have never been to a citizenship ceremony, go. We are lucky to be Canadian. Here, PM Trudeau makes a surprise appearance at one in Wolfville, NS. 2020/03/03

1*7WYaUoNDKjTzvgBtaI6jVg.jpeg

PM Trudeau walks back into his house, Rideau Cottage, and isolation following a press conference. Ottawa. 2020/03/13

1*0ddnnq7OTEVY2Mwpyhgudw.jpeg

Laps around Rideau Cottage during isolation. Ottawa. 2020/04/06

1*mbA2r7QRLt0Rf_BuhOKYRg.jpeg

A G7 meeting without the travel. Ottawa. 2020/04/16

1*tyCGRFnV_J5pvsrYJhPFxg.png

Prime Minister Trudeau calls families of the victims in Nova Scotia from his home office at Rideau Cottage. Ottawa. 2020/04/22

1*nFtauvU4OHxh4RZjV2JFKg.png

Tech support. Ottawa. 2020/05/28

1*OTL3Zfdic5P6fe7FooqXtA.png

Gatineau. 2020/06/24

1*-JxZ6locSj0_30-VNT3wUQ.png

Wear. A. Mask. Members of Cabinet show off their masks. Ottawa. 2020/09/15

1*UNQcOrh5e_TzQGj1W2UxEQ.png

Ottawa. 2020/11/18

1*FVCD8QdW_o76xLYYphmDhw.jpeg

PM Trudeau returned to working from Rideau Cottage as COVID-19 numbers across Canada began to rise again. Ottawa. 2020/11/24

1*f2d_-2wvvAa1h8ZRsu0Iwg.jpeg

PM Trudeau visits Ottawa’s COVID-19 vaccination clinic. 2020/12/15

My wife’s mother and her family have a very different opinion of him than you seem to. They seem to feel he’s mostly a liar, with all the trappings of a dictator. It says a lot that my mil, who hated Mr. Harper, and is definitely not a conservative, says Trudeau makes Harper look like an honest politician.

Also, apparently he had sex with a student while he was a teacher, and this is pretty well known, and the girl and family had to sign an nda about it? I have no idea if thats true, thats from my brother in law. 

58 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

My wife’s mother and her family have a very different opinion of him than you seem to. They seem to feel he’s mostly a liar, with all the trappings of a dictator. It says a lot that my mil, who hated Mr. Harper, and is definitely not a conservative, says Trudeau makes Harper look like an honest politician.

Also, apparently he had sex with a student while he was a teacher, and this is pretty well known, and the girl and family had to sign an nda about it? I have no idea if thats true, thats from my brother in law. 

Sounds like your family reads the Rebel (Canada's far-right version of Fox). Trudeau is no angel, he's a politician and that comes with lies and baggage. The story about him sleeping with a student that is so "well known" in conservative circles was well-examined in 2019 and nothing came of it, it appeared to be completely fabricated. One of things it was based off of (if my memory is correct) was a NDA signed by Trudeau and a parent, but apparently that situation revolved around something else entirely involving Trudeau and the parent (not sure if it was sexual, etc). I mean, one of the "scandals" the Conservatives threw at him in 2015 was that he took his shirt off for a mock striptease at a women's fundraising event in the late-2000s to raise money for breast cancer research. The brownface thing was definitely bad judgment on his part, even if he was in his 20s at the time. Though saying that, his actual policies are far more progressive and pro-diversity than anything the Conservatives have done (they openly ran a xenophobic campaign in 2015, which was one reason why Trudeau won).

The Liberals are the party of nepotism and corruption in Canada; whenever the Liberals win, money always goes through their friends after they've been in power for a few years. It's frustrating because they are much better for the country (imo) than the Conservatives, who tend to be true believers these days (compared to the 50s-80s of the Progressive Conservative Party, which was much more moderate).

Harper was one of Canada's most controlling PMs, and while Trudeau has continued on many of his worst policies (keeping a tight lid on communication, access to information, expansion of executive influence over Parliament), he doesn't come close to Harper in most areas.

Great photos.

Kinda off topic, but I recently watched The Way I See It, a documentary about Pete Souza who was Regan and Obama's photographer. It's not the best put together doc, but it does a good job of hammering home the importance of having a good photographer for a leader. I think he makes a good argument for that importance both to history and, in this age of immediate digital distribution, to cementing a leader's humanity in the public eye. It's obviously something we lost with Trump's insistence on staged photos, but I'm glad that others continue to document their time in office. I also hope that Biden will follow Obama's example and give his photographers the same kind of extraordinary access that Souza had.