If you use GrubHub, UberEATS, etc, you are a bad person

Joe

24 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

WHY DO THIS? I'm not sure about Postmates, but I know Door Dash takes a 10% cut of the restaurant's sales, plus the customer has to pay a fee of like $3 or something, plus the city has a tax of like $2. So the customer is paying $5 and the restaurant is paying, probably on average, $3 per transaction. Door Dash is getting $6 for nothing.

It reminds me, we used to have this lady who would call the restaurant, ask what our soup was, say "thank you, bye," AND THEN ORDER FROM DOOR DASH AND PICK IT UP HERSELF. Like, you were already on the phone! You already did the hard part! That shit would drive me crazy. Up until this last week, though, it was pretty rare for people to do that. I think the holidays has led to a lack of delivery drivers or something.

Door dash doesnt charge a fee for pickup and most restaurants are upping the price of items to offset the DD cut .Consumers are doing it for convenience, no need to set up accounts for dozens of places when DD single log in does it. We stopped using DD because the so many of the restaurant's were inflating the prices sometimes as high 50% 

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Door dash doesnt charge a fee for pickup and most restaurants are upping the price of items to offset the DD cut .Consumers are doing it for convenience, no need to set up accounts for dozens of places when DD single log in does it. We stopped using DD because the so many of the restaurant's were inflating the prices sometimes as high 50% 

Why wouldn't you just call it in though?

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

That's why the lady that would call and ask what we had before ordering on doordash annoyed me. She already did the part people don't like.

After working at a hotel people call on the phone for all crazy reasons anyway. Some people call at 3 am and ask dumb questions just because they want people to talk to probably.

I know it would annoy this other guy when someone would ask for directions for something or to call a taxi for them but the people had cell phones.

Just now, Rachel said:

They have a points system and also coupon codes etc are easy to come by, so those are two reasons why people chose the app instead of calling. Also some people might be willing to pay an extra $3 if it means not having to talk to people lol. 

With that being said your bar really should be hiking up the menu prices to make up for the costs like most other places do. Get with the program bruh. 

That kind of decision is above my paygrade.

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The last time we talked about this, I said that I personally don't see anything wrong with using these services. If you want to be a lazy piece of shit and get delivery from a place that does not deliver themselves and are willing to pay $18 for Taco Bell at 2am, go for it. The restaurant may barely be making a profit, but it's revenue they would otherwise not have had.

HOWEVER, an exception to my philosophy has formed over the last week or so. During the holidays, for some reason, about 75% of the app orders I've encountered while at work (we have DoorDash, postmates, and Uber Eats) have been people who order their stuff on the app, then come to pick it up themselves.

WHY DO THIS? I'm not sure about Postmates, but I know Door Dash takes a 10% cut of the restaurant's sales, plus the customer has to pay a fee of like $3 or something, plus the city has a tax of like $2. So the customer is paying $5 and the restaurant is paying, probably on average, $3 per transaction. Door Dash is getting $6 for nothing.

It reminds me, we used to have this lady who would call the restaurant, ask what our soup was, say "thank you, bye," AND THEN ORDER FROM DOOR DASH AND PICK IT UP HERSELF. Like, you were already on the phone! You already did the hard part! That shit would drive me crazy. Up until this last week, though, it was pretty rare for people to do that. I think the holidays has led to a lack of delivery drivers or something.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Why wouldn't you just call it in though?

Amex gives you a $10/month Seamless/Grubhub credit on the Gold card and a monthly Uber credit on the Platinum card with an extra $20 of credit in December (which can also be used on Uber Eats). The Sapphire Reserve had a $60 DoorDash credit in 2020 that was resetting at the end of the year for another $60 in 2021 and I think the $300 travel credit is eligible for dining now, and I know other cards are doing that. A rush of that behavior at the end of December feels like people burning those kinds of credits before they expire.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

How many AmEx cards do you typically get? It was less than 10% for me in a medium-end restaurant in NYC and I would imagine it would be lower in many places.

Not very many at all, but I don't exactly pay super close attention. But it's also not like I can see how people are paying for door dash orders.

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

How many AmEx cards do you typically get? It was less than 10% for me in a medium-end restaurant in NYC and I would imagine it would be lower in many places.

Like I said, the Sapphire Reserve also had the $60 DoorDash credit expiring. Capital One had 5x going on Uber Eats on some of their cards. So it wasn't just Amex with service-specific credits/offers expiring.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Like I said, the Sapphire Reserve also had the $60 DoorDash credit expiring. Capital One had 5x going on Uber Eats on some of their cards. So it wasn't just Amex with service-specific credits/offers expiring.

We’re still talking about a slim minority. Sapphire Reserve is a niche card. Rachel is right about people just being too lazy to pick up a phone.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

We’re still talking about a slim minority. Sapphire Reserve is a niche card. Rachel is right about people just being too lazy to pick up a phone.

The Capital One cards with the Uber Eats offer are only $95 a year. 

The other point is that everyone who does have these kinds of cards all had them expiring at the same time. Like with the Amex Uber one, everyone who normally would use their Uber credit on airport rides around Christmas instead suddenly had $35 burning a hole in their pocket and a need to spend it before it expires. Take that 10% you were talking about and imagine all of them having the same deadline by which to use their credit. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

After working at a hotel people call on the phone for all crazy reasons anyway. Some people call at 3 am and ask dumb questions just because they want people to talk to probably.

I know it would annoy this other guy when someone would ask for directions for something or to call a taxi for them but the people had cell phones.

I want to know wild hotel stories

6 hours ago, Jason said:

The other point is that everyone who does have these kinds of cards all had them expiring at the same time. Like with the Amex Uber one, everyone who normally would use their Uber credit on airport rides around Christmas instead suddenly had $35 burning a hole in their pocket and a need to spend it before it expires. Take that 10% you were talking about and imagine all of them having the same deadline by which to use their credit. 

You think all 10% waited for the last minute? 

I’ve noticed that if we have a large and/or complex order, it’s more likely to be correct if ordered online. I also like to pay in advance so I can get my food as quickly as possible. And I’m lazy and hate talking on the phone. But I’m also cheap, and if I notice a price hike just on an app, I would stop using the app. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve noticed that if we have a large and/or complex order, it’s more likely to be correct if ordered online. I also like to pay in advance so I can get my food as quickly as possible. And I’m lazy and hate talking on the phone. But I’m also cheap, and if I notice a price hike just on an app, I would stop using the app. 

Just compare the prices to their website, you are definitely paying more.  

8 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm ready :fap:

Well I'm not supposed to tell but this one wasn't too substantial and because you're a beautiful man I'll tell you the story.

One evening there was a woman pacing back and forth in the lobby. She was probably a vagrant but kind of looked on the edge so I let her do her thing. So they have a little market there of overpiced food and she was looking around and came over to me and asked how much a bottle of wine was. I told her, "$20." So I'm guessing she acknowledged what I said and continued to pace and look and then asked me what the price was again and I told her the same thing. So after a couple more minutes she suddenly just made a beeline for the elevators. I waited a couple of seconds because in order for the elevator to go up you need a key, the elevator didn't move so I headed to the elevator so I could ask her to leave. The doors open and she had pulled down her pants and was pissing (I was alarmed because I only heard the sound of piss, I didn't know what was going on - she was bending forward to make things even more confusing). In any case I said, "you're gonna have to leave." And she said, "Oh I'm so sorry I thought this was the bathroom!" :confused:

But yes she immediately left and I notified the front desk of what had happened so they could mop it up.

35 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Just compare the prices to their website, you are definitely paying more.  

It seems to vary by place and app. Looking at the places I order from most often, some are the same, some are inflated by 20% or more on DD, some are in the middle. 

Nothing is more frustrating when you place an order by phone and when you pick it up, the order is wrong. You then have to wait for it to be remade which makes your other part of your order cold af. I’ll order directly from a restaurant but only through an app. 

15 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Ordering through apps doesn’t prevent your order being wrong. My order is wrong around 50% of the time with apps which is also probably comparable to going in person, but I haven’t exactly done a scientific study on it. 

Not my experience. Granted I only order food for two people and we typically don’t ask for changes to the menu items.