Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Correct. Which is why we need politicians like Sanders that won't bow to them.

What exactly can Sanders do to “not bow to them” as President?

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Once the right finds their Bismark, they're gonna be unstoppable and it will be even worse for nontraditional women, poc, and the TQ communities

I actually have a different thought in regard to this potential right-wing populist ghoul and non-whites.

I have a feeling that this particular ghoul will be intelligent enough to realize that appealing to "white resentment" will simply not be enough in a nation that is inexorably becoming less white.  This ghoul will also be smart enough to know that there is very much a fairly significant degree of social conservatism within the non-white groups.  As a result, this ghoul will be pretty "color blind" on the issue of race and instead appeal to "cultural values" that cross-cut between racial demographics.  Hell, this ghoul might even be willing to accept gays and lesbians as long as their lifestyle mirrors "traditional values" - see Mayo Pete and his husband, for example.

Just now, mclumber1 said:

We get what ever Congress puts on the President's desk.  Biden at least has the advantage of having connections in Congress.  Sanders is that emo kid in the corner that isn't in anybody's click. 

Wow so that's how government works no shit huh wow big time libertarian

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

We get what ever Congress puts on the President's desk.  Biden at least has the advantage of having connections in Congress.  Sanders is that emo kid in the corner that isn't in anybody's click. 

In this example who is Justin Amash?

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

I actually have a different thought in regard to this potential right-wing populist ghoul and non-whites.

I have a feeling that this particular ghoul will be intelligent enough to realize that appealing to "white resentment" will simply not be enough in a nation that is inexorably becoming less white.  This ghoul will also be smart enough to know that there is very much a fairly significant degree of social conservatism within the non-white groups.  As a result, this ghoul will be pretty "color blind" on the issue of race and instead appeal to "cultural values" that cross-cut between racial demographics.  Hell, this ghoul might even be willing to accept gays and lesbians as long as their lifestyle mirrors "traditional values" - see Mayo Pete and his husband, for example.

Yep, thus why I left out the "LGB" but kept the "TQ" 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Biden just said he'd vote a single payer bill if it made it to his desk.

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

So after either Sanders dies in office from a massive heart attack, or is voted out in 2024, we'll have the exact same healthcare system we have now?  Or perhaps even worse because there is no room for compromise. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What exactly can Sanders do to “not bow to them” as President?

This has been said in here before but I'll give my version now I guess.

A Sanders presidency is about shifting the Overton Window. When I say we need politicians like Bernie Sanders I don't mean that we need only Bernie Sanders. We need progressives up and down the ballot who want corporate money out of politics and want universal coverage.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

A Sanders presidency is about shifting the Overton Window.

As I keep saying, politicians don’t shift the Overton window. They are simply bound by it. A Sanders presidency would be a sign that the window has shifted.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That's why I lump them in with the TQ - they have no natural allies and I'm pretty sure they'll be tossed overboard by gays and lesbians if push came to shove.

I mean, in keeping with this theory a bisexual man could be married to a man or a woman and be accepted in what I see the future right wing authoritarian movement accepting, so long as they are not ostentatious. It wouldn't be an identity, but just a fact of life in a nuclear like family. 

Promiscuity or queerness however would not be tolerated, regardless of who to fuck or are attracted to

What Sanders has done isn't going anywhere.  He already moved the Overton window. Everyone is already talking about single payer more, and it has good polling numbers. The public option has a large majority supporting it. The idea that we will never see single payer because Sanders doesn't become president is pretty negative, but it's understandable given the results tonight. Sanders would have accelerated this process some, but AOC isn't going anywhere. The 30% of Democrats Sanders converted are not going anywhere. My congressman almost lost to an AOC backed candidate in a primary in Texas. The social democracy movement is just getting started. I'm not even a part of it, but I can plainly see the future is pretty bright for anyone that is participating. Sanders was a huge long shot to take power this quickly. I think we will see momentum over the next 8 years that will be incremental, but extremely significant. With the right amount of charisma, a person with the views of Sanders could probably have won this primary.

Also the clear loser is the climate. Biden won't attempt to make any meaningful change on this front other than signing is back up for the non-binding, useless Paris agreement

Edit: and there are plenty of executive actions that can be taken so don't give me the we need Congress malarkey

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Edit: and there are plenty of executive actions that can be taken so don't give me the we need Congress malarkey

Such as?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Okay, I like that the solution here is to blame the people getting screwed by their voting officials for being lazy.

What I'm saying is that the most disenfranchised voters figured out a way to stand on line for an ungodly amount of time in order to still vote. Once the pre-clearance provision of the voting rights act went away, Republican state legislatures started doing their level best to make it hard as hell for black and brown people to vote and this was very apparent in Texas. Those folks stayed on line for hours in defiance of that shit. The solution is to win elections so you can reverse this shit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

What Sanders has done isn't going anywhere.  He already moved the Overton window. Everyone is already talking about single payer more, and it has good polling numbers. The public option has a large majority supporting it. The idea that we will never see single payer because Sanders doesn't become president is pretty negative, but it's understandable given the results tonight. Sanders would have accelerated this process some, but AOC isn't going anywhere. The 30% of Democrats Sanders converted are not going anywhere. My congressman almost lost to an AOC backed candidate in a primary in Texas. The social democracy movement is just getting started. I'm not even a part of it, but I can plainly see the future is pretty bright for anyone that is participating. Sanders was a huge long shot to take power this quickly. I think we will see momentum over the next 8 years that will be incremental, but extremely significant. With the right amount of charisma, a person with the views of Sanders could probably have won this primary.

I think if 1988 Jesse Jackson ran this year, he could have won.

It'd be nice if M4A shifting the conversation makes a public option more palpable in Congress. If Biden wins, tackles this and starts to compromise before heading to the table again -- the connections in Congress that lumber is touting of his -- then I guess our insurance will have to suck a while longer.