Ys9 demo out now on switch/pc!

stepee

Tried to find a thread for this game but couldn’t find one. I played both scenarios and beat the boss in the first one. You only get 10 minutes but you can replay it. 

I don’t need to replay it though, feels fantastic on switch, actually seems to look and run better than Ys8 on switch.

Ill try it on pc, but I played the hell out of Ys8 on switch and I want it portable.

@BiggieI basically made this topic to alert you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I enjoyed Ys8 a lot but ran into a bug that prevented me to progress. You're the one that recommended it to me and I had a lot of fun with it. I'll definitely keep an eye out on this. When does it release?

Sucks about the bug. :( The ending was a trip.

12 days, but it’s already out on ps4 actually!

I tried the pc demo quick and yeah it didn’t do anything special for me there, runs fine at 120fps 4k but it still just looks like Ys, definitely getting this on switch. I just don’t know if Ill get it right away or not because after I beat Rachet probably this weekend it’s FF7 time.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Can you link me to the metacrtic reviews? I can't find the game.

Yes, I'll try out the demo, too!

207207e04192abbaf6501b9f4fb6a214-98.jpg
WWW.METACRITIC.COM

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for PlayStation 4 game reviews & Metacritic score: Renowned adventurer Adol “the Red” Christin and his companion Dogi arrive at Balduq, a city annexed by the Romun...

Solid 80!

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ys music is sooo good. 

Ys 8 music was stuck in my head for like a month after I finished the game.

Honestly, I'm not going to play the demo, but I know after Ys Seven, Memories of Celceta, and Ys 8, they can pretty much do no wrong in my book. I might prefer it if they go back to the ~30 hour length of Seven and Celceta, though, rather than the 50-60 hours it took me to play through Ys 8.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stepee said:

I tried the pc demo quick and yeah it didn’t do anything special for me there, runs fine at 120fps 4k but it still just looks like Ys, definitely getting this on switch. I just don’t know if Ill get it right away or not because after I beat Rachet probably this weekend it’s FF7 time.

This shouldn't be played on anything other than the Switch. It would be horrible being tied to a TV on the PS4.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

This shouldn't be played on anything other than the Switch. It would be horrible being tied to a TV on the PS4.

Yup, I thought well maybe it’ll look really good at 120 but na it doesn’t matter it just made me want to play on switch more.

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Ys 8 music was stuck in my head for like a month after I finished the game.

Honestly, I'm not going to play the demo, but I know after Ys Seven, Memories of Celceta, and Ys 8, they can pretty much do no wrong in my book. I might prefer it if they go back to the ~30 hour length of Seven and Celceta, though, rather than the 50-60 hours it took me to play through Ys 8.

I THINK I heard this one is shorter? I wouldn’t mind a little shorter though I did beat Ys8 and can’t remember feeling like I was just doing padding much.

The new movement mechanics here, running on walls, double jumping, gliding, warping to points, are rad!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, stepee said:

207207e04192abbaf6501b9f4fb6a214-98.jpg
WWW.METACRITIC.COM

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for PlayStation 4 game reviews & Metacritic score: Renowned adventurer Adol “the Red” Christin and his companion Dogi arrive at Balduq, a city annexed by the Romun...

Solid 80!

So this came out back in February? Was that ps4 only and the switch is getting a release soon? I'm confused as hell. The reviews sound right up my alley.

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

So this came out back in February? Was that ps4 only and the switch is getting a release soon? I'm confused as hell. The reviews sound right up my alley.

ya it came out first for ps4 only and now it’s coming to switch and PC. They did upgrade it on ps5 or are going to if it didn’t happen yet at least.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

ya it came out first for ps4 only and now it’s coming to switch and PC. They did upgrade it on ps5 or are going to if it didn’t happen yet at least.

Very good! After I beat Ori and the Will of the Wisps I'm playing this. I'm not even going to try the demo because I know I'll love it! Ys8 was so much fun and addicting.

30 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I had no idea that another Ys game was coming, much less that it’s already been on PS4 for months! I’m very slowly making my way through 8. 

Same. I had NO idea 9 was out. I'm not on the ball anymore with games. I'm getting too old. :(

Ys is pretty niche, I tried to find a thread to just bump for this and I couldn’t, might be one somewhere, but nobody is really talking about it.

I also don’t think it helps that the releases are so staggered and not on Xbox either. But yeah it’s like Japan ps4 only, then a year later ps4 only us release, then the switch and pc ones now, I think it was even worse with 8.

They are a really small dev though and have to let the publisher handle the translation, so I get it. I could see the series having s moment where it becomes more mainstream but they would probably have to get higher production values in somehow and make it a worldwide multiplat release or at least pc/ps4 day one and a smaller delay towards switch.

But I’m also totally fine with ys just being ys.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I need to play more of this series. I've only played the first two on PC.

@stepee introduced me to the series with part 8 and I fell in love with it. They are fun, addicting, and with interesting characters and story. The combat is fast and fluid too. All around great time.

Part 9 is a no brainer for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

@stepee introduced me to the series with part 8 and I fell in love with it. They are fun, addicting, and with interesting characters and story. The combat is fast and fluid too. All around great time.

Part 9 is a no brainer for me. 

My husband is a big fan of the series, so he got me to try it. I already own Origins, Oath in Felghana, and Ark of Napishtim on Steam. I reinstalled them, just need to decide which one I want to try next. Leaning toward Napishtim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My husband is a big fan of the series, so he got me to try it. I already own Origins, Oath in Felghana, and Ark of Napishtim on Steam. I reinstalled them, just need to decide which one I want to try next. Leaning toward Napishtim.

With Ys 7 they introduce 3 character parties and different damage types and such. I find them slightly more fun.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I plan to get those down the line, but I really need to play what I have first. 

If you had that mentality about all games, you'd never buy another one again!:p

Also, the Ys games are completely fucked timeline-wise, if that matters to you. Technically it's:

Ys Origin

Ys I & II

Memories of Celceta (which is a remake of Ys IV, which itself had 2 different versions)

Oath in Felghana (which is a remake of Ys III)

Ys V

Ys VIII

Ark of Napishtim

Ys Seven

Ys IX

The story isn't interconnected, though, beyond a couple characters that show up in multiple games, so it's not a big deal.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Also, the Ys games are completely fucked timeline-wise, if that matters to you. Technically it's:

Ys Origin

Ys I & II

Memories of Celceta (which is a remake of Ys IV, which itself had 2 different versions)

Ys V

Ys VIII

Ark of Napishtim

Ys Seven

Ys IX

The story isn't interconnected, though, beyond a couple characters that show up in multiple games, so it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I’m fairly familiar with the timeline, given my husband’s fandom. 

I've actually slowed down a lot with my game buying as of late. And the earlier games are actually appealing to me. 

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Ys Origin

Ys I & II

Ys V

Ys VIII

Ark of Napishtim

Ys Seven

Ys IX

I mean so then 4 took place before 3 and 8 took place before 6, that’s not really that bad lol

• Haha 1

It's more fucky from a release order perspective. Like they made the first three, then remade the first two, then made 4, which had 2 different versions with different stories (which takes place before 3), then 5, then 6 eight years later, then they remade 3, then Origin (which is a prequel to the whole series), then 7, then they remade 4 (different again), then 8 (which takes place before 6), then 9

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I watched a few video reviews on this. It'll take roughly 35 hours to beat which is kinda steep but the reviews are good. This will be my next game to play. Thankfully you don't need to know the stories of the other games to enjoy this.

35 hours sounds pretty good actually, it’s when rpgs are like 80 that I get intimidated.