Capcom wants to bring 'Resident Evil Village' to PS4 and Xbox One

SaysWho?

WWW.ENGADGET.COM

Resident Evil Village could join the growing list of next-gen games also coming to current-gen consoles. At its Tokyo Games Show presentation, Capcom announced that the eighth mainline Resident Evil game may make its way to PlayStation 4 and PC. "While Resident Evil Village is being developed specifically for next-generation consoles and PC, we're looking into delivering the experience on PlayStation 4 and...

"While Resident Evil Village is being developed specifically for next-generation consoles and PC, we're looking into delivering the experience on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as well," a Capcom producer said via a translator. "We're looking into it but we can't make any promises, however we will do our best to bring a top-tier survival horror experience to current-generation consoles."

But their also struggling with its PS5 development?

resident-evil-8-werewolf-with-ps5.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

A frequent Resident Evil franchise leaker suggests that the PS5 version of Resident Evil 8 is running into some development troubles.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But their also struggling with its PS5 development?

resident-evil-8-werewolf-with-ps5.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

A frequent Resident Evil franchise leaker suggests that the PS5 version of Resident Evil 8 is running into some development troubles.

In this leak, he said they had to remove some next gen elements they were adding in order to get it working on PS5, which has also allowed them to get it running on old consoles.

PS5 holding back next gen already....:p

• Shocked 1

If true, it's really hard to know what's going on here until the problem can be pinpointed.  Which next-gen effects and features are proving problematic?  Or is it something else with their engine?

My gut feeling is to assume its raytracing.  But that doesn't quite make since, since DMC5 is launching with it, and we've seen other devs dial back its implementation before on PC without stripping it out entirely.

For what it's worth, he posted this on Restera a few hours ago:

I wouldn't say Resident Evil Village is in a mess of development actually. It's more the game was pretty much fully playable and just being polished a year ago, it internally did extremely well (was super positively received by staff and their testers), decided to give it an upgrade, that upgrade has had some trouble, so here we are. Also add in a lot of specialized "Focus testing" with fans specifically (the Ambassador test) to shape it out and make some changes.

I don't think cross-gen was ever fully off the table (I mean, large userbase and money there), but they experimented with what might or might not work with the project.

Last I heard, which was very recently, they're still aiming for the first half of 2021. It might seem further out or earlier in development, but this is just a kinda' unusual situation. Game's been in dev for around 4 years now, and it's more an upgrade to a nearly finished game and changes to it than anything else, so basically once all the issues are sorted & they've made the tweaks to the game they want to make, it'll be ready for release as the game is already content complete. Just a bit more complicated with the gen divide (it should also be mentioned Capcom isn't super experienced with the generation divide even looking historically, not many of their games have been cross-gen on the cusp of a new generation).

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

In other words, they're upgrading for next gen and having trouble with one of the versions.

That makes sense considering everyone else praises the PS5's ease of development.

Yeah, that definitely makes Village sound more like it wasn't a ground-up next-gen title.

I'd still like to know what upgrade gave them trouble, if the rumors are correct. 

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah, that definitely makes Village sound more like it wasn't a ground-up next-gen title.

I'd still like to know what upgrade gave them trouble, if the rumors are correct. 

Agreed! Given that most developers currently have high praise for Sony's PS5 dev environment, I wonder if its Capcom's own engine having trouble? 

I hope they just push it back till it's perfect in there eyes. I'd love to play it on PC first or XSX, but I won't have the latter till middle next year. I want the best version, as I love 7 so much! Resident Evil is my favorite franchise by a large margin, that said I hated 6! I'm very much looking forward to getting RE8 and 4remake soon'ish.

Jeff Grubb has also hinted that some multiplats may have issues at launch on PS5 due to dev's struggling working with Smart Shift Technology.  He stated at launch because he believes Devs will get a grip of how to best develop with it, but he did mention it a few times, so my guess is he must have heard something.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:53 PM, JPDunks4 said:

Jeff Grubb has also hinted that some multiplats may have issues at launch on PS5 due to dev's struggling working with Smart Shift Technology.  He stated at launch because he believes Devs will get a grip of how to best develop with it, but he did mention it a few times, so my guess is he must have heard something.

I read somewhere that the Smart Shift works fine if you're prioritizing either a heavy CPU or GPU workload, but if you need both at the same time its a compromise.

I'm not a programmer so i dont really know what kind of situation that might be.