240Hz television?

XxEvil AshxX

I have two Samsung televisions that I have Xboxes hooked up to; my One X is on my 40" no-frills 4K Samsung, and my launch XBO is on my 7-year-old 1080p Sammy in the living room. All this talk of "120 fps" on the next gen systems got me thinking back on my older tv.

My 4K is a 60Hz tv, so no fun with that one, but I remembered that my older one was supposedly higher than that, so I looked up the model number and apparently its refresh rate is 240Hz? Is that because it's a 3D television (to show 2 frames each at 120Hz?) Does that mean that I should technically be able to play a game like Dirt 5 at 120 fps? Or is this refresh rate only available in 3D mode?

I've never really been a tech nut on the television side of things so I've never actually put much thought into it.

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

You need to check to see if the TV is doing 120 natively or thru motion smoothing , if its the latter then it wont be 120 and is terrible to use while gaming.

Yeah see that's what I'm wondering. I have the motion smoothing turned off and have the xbox input calibrated in game mode. I just don't know if the tv is always set to refresh at 60Hz cuz I literally don't have anything else to try it on. I guess it'll be a fun experiment when I get my Series X.

It is most definitely not an actual 240 Hz; and most likely not even 120 Hz.  They are just processing and inserting extra frames in between the source's framerate (which will be 24 fps or 30 fps for movies/TV), but most likely can only display at 60 Hz.  

Best look up the model number and find a review or find the tech sheet to be absolutely sure what it can do.