Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

I haven't even played the demo, but from what I've read there is a lot of story. Hours and hours of cutscenes. If you really think the story is unbearable, even if the gameplay is pretty good, you should have a hard time scoring this game well. That's basically how I felt about MGS2.

I've long thought that gamers thinking that reviews (which are opinion pieces!) should be objective is the seed that metastasized into a lot the worst parts of gamer discourse.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I haven't even played the demo, but from what I've read there is a lot of story. Hours and hours of cutscenes. If you really think the story is unbearable, even if the gameplay is pretty good, you should have a hard time scoring this game well. That's basically how I felt about MGS2.

I've long thought that gamers thinking that reviews (which are opinion pieces!) should be objective is the seed that metastasized into a lot the worst parts of gamer discourse.

I dont care about somebody else's score/opinion but if they can't appreciate certain aspects of a game (or any piece of art) then they shouldn't be reviewing it professionally.

Like I think Michael Bay movies are mostly shit (just not my cup of tea) but I can appreciate and acknowledge the detail that goes into action sequences, I'd never give them a 1 star review because that's incredibly disingenuous or just downright ignorant.

There's no "minimum score" but if you want your opinion to be taken seriously you have acknowledge things it does well even if you personally dont care for them.

14 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I dont care about somebody else's score/opinion but if you can't appreciate certain aspects of a game (or any piece of art) then they shouldn't be reviewing it professionally.

Like I think Michael Bay movies are mostly shit (just not my cup of tea) but I can appreciate and acknowledge the detail that goes into action sequences, I'd never give them a 1 star review because that's incredibly disingenuous or just downright ignorant.

There's no "minimum score" but if you want your opinion to be taken seriously you have acknowledge things it does well even if you personally dont care for them.

I can absolutely acknowledge what a Michael Bay film does well and still evaluate it as really well-done dreck worthy of a one-star rating because that one thing it does well doesn't negate the 5,000 other things it does badly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can absolutely acknowledge what a Michael Bay film does well and still evaluate it as really well-done dreck worthy of a one-star rating because that one thing it does well doesn't negate the 5,000 other things it does badly.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Do you like Marvel movies? Because to me those are essentially Michael Bay movies with hotter actors and slightly less braindead writers.

Just playing in graphics mode. What really harms the game the most is the motion blur. 30fps just makes it far worse. However, 30 fps doesn't look so bad when you have given your eyes time to adjust. The issue with Frame rate mode is that your eyes + brain can never adjust and I find myself noticing every little spike and dip. Graphics mode also get rid of most of the god awful blurry filter that never seems to go away on frame rate mode.

• Halal 1

Yeah tried for like 5 minutes in graphics mode per the DF recommendation and... no thanks. Despite being more stable in terms of FPS, the aggressive motion blur makes it feel way worse than ToTK for me. Frame rate mode might not be stable but at least moving the camera doesn't make me wanna barf.

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah tried for like 5 minutes in graphics mode per the DF recommendation and... no thanks. Despite being more stable in terms of FPS, the aggressive motion blur makes it feel way worse than ToTK for me. Frame rate mode might not be stable but at least moving the camera doesn't make me wanna barf.

It was more like 30 minutes to an hour for me. I did get used to it aside from the motion blur. As soon as I got to the hideaway, I knew I had to make the change to graphics. Like damn is the motion blur bad. Not sure it it looks like this for everyone or if my monitor is particularly bad at ghosting. but just spinning the camera on a sensitivity of 3 I believe causes after images of Clive. You can constantly see a ghost Clive like he's Ranni from Elden Ring.

41 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It was more like 30 minutes to an hour for me. I did get used to it aside from the motion blur. As soon as I got to the hideaway, I knew I had to make the change to graphics. Like damn is the motion blur bad. Not sure it it looks like this for everyone or if my monitor is particularly bad at ghosting. but just spinning the camera on a sensitivity of 3 I believe causes after images of Clive. You can constantly see a ghost Clive like he's Ranni from Elden Ring.

I believe this is your display. Just got to the Hideout and made sure my sensitivity was at 3, no ghosting on either mode. A whole lot of terrible camera motion blur, but no ghosting. 

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I believe this is your display. Just got to the Hideout and made sure my sensitivity was at 3, no ghosting on either mode. A whole lot of terrible camera motion blur, but no ghosting. 

I'm not sure if it's actual ghosting or how the motion blur works. I took a video of it, and my phone kinda picked it up. I post it sometime later.

Well, as an example, I can see a weird motion blur outline around Clive as I spin the camera. The environment itself, such as large pillars, kind of "ghosts" but is the same multiple image impression I get whenever a camera is moving quickly in a low frame rate environment. Definitely 0 ghost images of Clive though. I have seen games with character ghosting and it's awful. 

Only time I've seen it here is when Joshua moves the carrot or whatever on his plate and the carrot leaves a hideous ghosting trail. If they really are using FSR 1.0 (the fucking fools) then I would expect to see it in small objects moving across the screen, like embers from a fire, specks of dust, etc., while the camera is stationary. That and foliage moving in the wind. 

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Well, as an example, I can see a weird motion blur outline around Clive as I spin the camera. The environment itself, such as large pillars, kind of "ghosts" but is the same multiple image impression I get whenever a camera is moving quickly in a low frame rate environment. Definitely 0 ghost images of Clive though. I have seen games with character ghosting and it's awful. 

Whenever I post the video, it is most easy to see on his nose. It's hard to get a good video of it. It was very easy to see on Young Clive's popped collar.

Oh that? Yeah I think that's an artifact of the motion blur. I thought you meant like full body multiple images of the character or something, which sounds ridiculous but is something I've seen in at least 2 games.

For me, that motion blur "ghosting" around Clive's face is like 10 times worse in graphics mode. In performance mode it's really just around his nose rather than his whole dang face.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I thought you meant like full body multiple images of the character

Oh, no, it's not THAT bad.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

For me, that motion blur "ghosting" around Clive's face is like 10 times worse in graphics mode.

Yeah, I only really noticed it in graphics mode. I mean, I instantly noticed it when I switched. Stuck out like a sore thumb.

Edit: And it does only happen when I move the camera. As long as I don't move the camera, it never happens from what I can tell.

It's hard to tell if magic bursts are only for damage or if they increase stagger damage the more you combo it, cuz like, DPS wise, man you aren't really missing out on much if you just don't do it. Also, I bet top dollar that one of the best mods, when this comes to PC, will be a mod that bakes in the torgal accessory. I'd be using it if it didn't take up a slot. I'd love it if the dog just did everything on CD. I have no desire to command it and so I don't.

Also, I like how the game only made it 5 seconds past the prologue to introduce us to

Spoiler

another ancient and fallen magitech civilization. Will they be aliens, a different race, or have humans just fallen this low?

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Magic bursts are for stagger, it seems. Pretty sure you actually lose damage using them in each string of a combo, but they seem to build stagger real good.

The game has a customizable battle arena where you can test out new abilities and see inputs and the timing for magic bursts and everything! It's not perfect but it's real good.

I used this and a timer (sadly it doesn't come with one) and did perfect magic bursts for each combo step against a Gigas (the fat goblin from the prologue) and one where I did nothing but standard attacks.

The magic burst combo took him from full HP and full stagger meter to the HP being around the "i" in "Gigas" and fully staggered after about 17 seconds.

The standard attacks didn't break his stagger until 20 seconds in, and had done a bit more overall damage, maybe another 2-3% of his HP bar.

I imagine as the game goes on and you spend ability points and get weapons with better stagger, this gap will grow, as it seems pretty forgiving early on, giving just a 15% advantage over just spamming normal attacks for what I consider a lot more work. (Though it's still more fun to do once you're used to it.)

Just now, best3444 said:

Does 14 run at 60? It's been 8 years since I played it. 

On PS5 it tries to run at 60, on PS4 it's 30ish and on PC it's whatever the hell your PC can run it at. And yeah, it's incredibly smooth compared to this. It's also a much simpler looking game (but it also has hundreds of other players around you at once so... hmm) so take that as you will.

I will say I have no regretted performance mode on 16. I am appalled at the idea of camera motion blur, the fuck were they thinking? Object motion blur is always cool, but CAMERA?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Does 14 run at 60? It's been 8 years since I played it. 

It runs at whatever your PC can handle. I get about 80-100 frames outside of populated areas on high settings.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I imagine as the game goes on and you spend ability points and get weapons with better stagger, this gap will grow, as it seems pretty forgiving early on, giving just a 15% advantage over just spamming normal attacks for what I consider a lot more work. (Though it's still more fun to do once you're used to it.)

I actually just "mastered" it with AP. Fuck the window feels far more generous now. I suppose if you are a real master at it tho it is actually just a waste of AP.  It would be a lot easier in general it it wasn't mapped so you are beating your thumb or index finger like it owes you money. Like, I'd love it if I could map the magic to L1 or L2. It would be far easier if I could alternate hands to do a full burst combo. Crazy to me that SoP had full button mapping and this doesn't.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It runs at whatever your PC can handle. I get about 80-100 frames outside of populated areas on high settings.

I actually just "mastered" it with AP. Fuck the window feels far more generous now. I suppose if you are a real master at it tho it is actually just a waste of AP.  It would be a lot easier in general it it wasn't mapped so you are beating your thumb or index finger like it owes you money. Like, I'd love it if I could map the magic to L1 or L2. It would be far easier if I could alternate hands to do a full burst combo. Crazy to me that SoP had full button mapping and this doesn't.

That's what I meant several pages back after playing the demo. The control scheme makes no sense and doesn't gel well. Hitting Square and then quickly hitting Triangle and doing that over and over feels bad. One of the buttons should be at least a shoulder button so one finger isn't swapping so fast and often. Might try out different control schemes or use a pad with custom mappings, which'll be kind of annoying for on-screen prompts but eh.

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

That's what I meant several pages back after playing the demo. The control scheme makes no sense and doesn't gel well. Hitting Square and then quickly hitting Triangle and doing that over and over feels bad. One of the buttons should be at least a shoulder button so one finger isn't swapping so fast and often. Might try out different control schemes or use a pad with custom mappings, which'll be kind of annoying for on-screen prompts but eh.

I left the controls alone as they were. I’ve adapted really well to them. 

• Halal 1