SMT III Noctune HD will feature Dante from Devil May Cry as DLC

Brian

Given the theoretical re-licensing nightmare this could have been, I'm glad we're getting Dante at all - I had him in my party for a lot of the end game the first time around, and it'd be cool to have him again, though playing as in-universe character Raidou would be awesome as well.

Now with Atlus doing PC, can we expect a PC port?

• 7 months later...
On 8/12/2020 at 8:44 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Now with Atlus doing PC, can we expect a PC port?

@Greatoneshere Steam page is up for this. May 24

header.jpg?t=1616195834
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Reawaken your inner demon in a modernized version of the acclaimed ATLUS classic, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Greatoneshere Steam page is up for this. May 24

header.jpg?t=1616195834
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Reawaken your inner demon in a modernized version of the acclaimed ATLUS classic, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster.

Holy shit I'm 100% in. Playing this likely day one or soon after. 

On 8/12/2020 at 12:21 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I was afraid this DLC would be only for the switch but it will come to PS4 as well.

I was actually going to say it was coming to PS4 as well. You beat me to the punch! :beatup:

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

And here I was thinking I'd play something on my switch since Smash came out. Guess not. 

Are you skipping Bravely Default II *and* Monster Hunter Rise (next week)? :(

7 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Are you skipping Bravely Default II *and* Monster Hunter Rise (next week)? :(

lol

Bravely Default was pretty not great. It was alright I guess, but I didn't really enjoy my time with it. From what I have heard BD2 is even more traditional than the first. And I don't care for the monster hunter games. I have played two of them, but the hunting part isn't fun. I hated framing for monster parts. I only liked the actual fighting and I don't care what all the fans say, the combat system is cumbersome. It is great if you like it, but it is too slow at times for me. 

• Like 1

Square Enix needs to take the main scenario writer of FFXIV: Shadowbringers and force all their other writers to attend a series of mandatory classes by her. Especially Tokyo RPG Factory and whoever makes Bravely Default. Making a traditional JRPG does not mean it has to have a fucking boring, predictable story. Shadowbringers got you feeling not just emphatic toward, but at least for me, in complete agreement with the villain's plan, even as you see the impossibility of it. And it did so with an ensemble of amazing characters and tons of great arcs for each of them.

Fuckin' Bravely Default on the other hand has had 3 games and they've never even reached beyond NES level storytelling, while Tokyo RPG Factory didn't even get past the "it has to be somber" stage of story development. Pretty sure "somber" was just written in Japanese on a whiteboard, circled and underlined, and that was the totality of their writing team's efforts.

Yeah, Shadowbringers has to be one of my favorite JRPG stories. Like, I feel the villain would be the MC in a different game. He would be seen as a hero to his people. This would apply even more if they weren't dressed up like evil incarnate. I don't remember shit about Bravely Default. Well, I remember the seemingly endless loop of boss battles that made me quit the game. I partly ruined the game for myself via the comp I built but that isn't the reason why I stopped. 

Like man, imagine a game where you start with the motivations of "Hades" and then you got to make the choice of winning or losing to the Heroes. 

If FFXIV counts as a JRPG then it is my favorite JRPG of all time. 

On 3/20/2021 at 3:39 PM, Bacon said:

lol

Bravely Default was pretty not great. It was alright I guess, but I didn't really enjoy my time with it. From what I have heard BD2 is even more traditional than the first. And I don't care for the monster hunter games. I have played two of them, but the hunting part isn't fun. I hated framing for monster parts. I only liked the actual fighting and I don't care what all the fans say, the combat system is cumbersome. It is great if you like it, but it is too slow at times for me. 

Fair enough. :peace:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
?imw=512&imh=512&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

How to change the internal render resolution to an arbitrary setting beyond 1080p...

header.jpg?t=1621566372
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

After a bit of reverse engineering, I found where the game calls the setter for UnityEngine.Application.targetFrameRate. You can find this in the file called GameAssembly.dll. The array of bytes in question is C7 40 44 1E 00 00 00 E8 48 11 23 00 33 C9 B8 02 00 00 00 85 FF 0F 44 C8 33 D2 48 8B 5C 24 30 48 83 C4 20 5F To change the framerate cap, modify the "1E 00 00 00" to be whatever number you want...

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Pretty wild how a game will ship, and then fans make it better. 

That's fairly normal with PC games, especially now that more developers who didn't previously develop for the PC are starting to. 

• Like 1

I'll pick this up whenever they get it working properly above 30 FPS. Not interested in a version that's an upres of what I could play on an emulator with $10 DLC for something that was free, and at that price for the main game no less.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'll pick this up whenever they get it working properly above 30 FPS.

"They" as in the developer? Probably unlikely since they made the game and didn't make it happen.

Sounds like some systems are tied to framerate so they would have to put in more work than they are willing to to get it to work.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

"They" as in the developer? Probably unlikely since they made the game and didn't make it happen.

Sounds like some systems are tied to framerate so they would have to put in more work than they are willing to to get it to work.

They as in literally anybody. I don't care if it's official or modded.

Also, it's not entirely tied to frame rate, which is why the above mod only partially works. It's somewhat tied to the frametimes, which is the most absurd thing I've heard in a while and complicates a fix even further.

So I gave this game the old college try. I implemented the above fixes (the resolution and framerate). I didn't try the game before the resolution fix but I think it looks pretty good.

Here are a couple of screenshots

Spoiler

1413480-20210529211905-1.png

1413480-20210529210948-1.png

I think for the most part it looks good, textures haven't been updated on some parts of characters and on other parts they look fine. But for a PS2 game being upresed to 4k I think it looks good. Maybe something will happen with it as time goes on.

As for the frame rate it's like a double edged sword. I think 60 is the way this game needs to run, the cutscenes look awesome in 60fps and 30 just looks bad, looks like the game runs in slow mo. The downside is I think the player movement speed is tied to the frame rate so if you set it to 60 it seems like the player runs in turbo speed, that being said even at 30 the movement still seemed odd but the player just moved slower.

Beyond that I thought the English voice acting was pretty well done, so if you do decide to play this game you won't be suffering too much.