Dragon Quest XI S (XB/PS/PC) - Demo released

crispy4000

This could have been the definitive version had it carried the previous PC/PS4/XB1 assets and simply added on all the bells and whistles features-wise of the Switch version. But no, now it's still a choice between graphical bells and whistles vs. features bells and whistles.

*sigh*

And I don't even care about Dragon Quest, it's just stupid.

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This could have been the definitive version had it carried the previous PC/PS4/XB1 assets and simply added on all the bells and whistles features-wise of the Switch version. But no, now it's still a choice between graphical bells and whistles vs. features bells and whistles.

*sigh*

And I don't even care about Dragon Quest, it's just stupid.

They're calling it the Definitive Edition. At least the price is downgraded too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295510/DRAGON_QUEST_XI_S_Echoes_of_an_Elusive_Age__Definitive_Edition/

If you could import saves from the Definitive Graphics Edition, I'd consider getting this version on sale for the extra content but I don't see that happening. Knowing SE they won't even bother giving you an in game option to quit the game so you'll have to use Alt+F4 if you're not using a Switch Pro Controller (Steam support for it lets you bring up a menu with the Home button which has an option to quit).

25 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

They're calling it the Definitive Edition. At least the price is downgraded too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295510/DRAGON_QUEST_XI_S_Echoes_of_an_Elusive_Age__Definitive_Edition/

If you could import saves from the Definitive Graphics Edition, I'd consider getting this version on sale for the extra content but I don't see that happening. Knowing SE they won't even bother giving you an in game option to quit the game so you'll have to use Alt+F4 if you're not using a Switch Pro Controller (Steam support for it lets you bring up a menu with the Home button which has an option to quit).

SE gonna SE.

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It didn't look like anything amazing but at least it looked clean and not a blurry mess.

Were the screenshots in the tweet one vs the other? I’ll have to look on my desktop because on my phone the only difference is some self-shadowing on the environment and character models. Were the textures reduced too?

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks that way :p

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can't even make out the stalks on the flowers anymore.

Without it being reduced on Twitter (despite opening the photo directly), I can see it now. However, it looks like the bottom image is either being compressed or rendered at a way lower resolution than the top :confused: (look at the aliasing on the main characters head in the bottom image vs it being clean in the top)

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

However, it looks like the bottom image is either being compressed or rendered at a way lower resolution than the top :confused: 

The bottom one is a cap of the stream not a screenshot from the Switch version, which would probably be a better comparison to make. I wonder if that fellow has one of those around instead.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The bottom one is a cap of the stream not a screenshot from the Switch version, which would probably be a better comparison to make. I wonder if that fellow has one of those around instead.

Being a blurry mess on a compressed YouTube screen. I, for one, am shocked.
I never mentioned it being a screenshot from Switch, btw.

The game is literally downloadable right now on Gamepass. How about some 4k vs 4k direct screen comparisons?

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Being a blurry mess on a compressed YouTube screen. I, for one, am shocked.

Well, I didn't realize we were being bamboozled by Crispy until now. :p

I never mentioned it being a screenshot from Switch, btw.

I mentioned the switch because it's a port of the switch. And it says that it looks different graphically from the version that is already out there. It says the resolution is the same so I get the impression it's uprezed from the switch version which probably wouldn't look good.

The game is literally downloadable right now on Gamepass. How about some 4k vs 4k direct screen comparisons?

It comes out December 4th TBH.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well, I didn't realize we were being bamboozled by Crispy until now. :p

It’s crispy, so assume it’s something complaining about consoles 

:troll:

I mentioned the switch because it's a port of the switch. And it says that it looks different graphically from the version that is already out there. It says the resolution is the same so I get the impression it's uprezed from the switch version which probably wouldn't look good.

It wouldn’t be up-resed, it would be rendered natively... unless they lost all sanity... although, it IS SE, so...

It comes out December 4th TBH.

So the OG DX11 is what popped up on GamePass yesterday?

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, I didn’t see the preinstall thing. Why would someone pre-load a game 5 months early? 

And the preload is only 110MB. Maybe this is a metric to help Microsoft gauge interest in JRPGs and whether to buy Mistwalker and make a Lost Odyssey 2. 

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s crispy, so assume it’s something complaining about consoles 

:troll:

And here I was thinking this thread was complaining about SquareEnix being lazy.

It does appear that some of the shots that twitter guy posted could be Switch resolution.  Which is why I specifically posted the image of Square themselves saying visuals will differ because it is a Switch port.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

And here I was thinking this thread was complaining about SquareEnix being lazy.

It does appear that some of the shots that twitter guy posted could be Switch resolution.  Which is why I specifically posted the image of Square themselves saying visuals will differ because it was a Switch port.

“DEM CONSOLE PORTS R HOLDN BAK MAH PEECEE GAMES! FREE MPLAYER!”

:D 

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

“DEM CONSOLE PORTS R HOLDN BAK MAH PEECEE GAMES! FREE MPLAYER!”

:D 

Uh, DQXI was designed with PS4 hardware in mind.  It was ‘held back’ by that... sure.  Just as most releases this gen were.  The base consoles set the standard today, just as they did last gen.

This isn’t even that.  It’s a port up of a port down with marginal effort.

Multiplayer paywalls aren’t relevant here.  Nevertheless, I’ve been against then since the very beginning.  By all means, let’s see one of the manufacturers drop theirs and I’ll be throwing the confetti.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Uh, DQXI was designed with PS4 hardware in mind.  It was ‘held back’ by that... sure.  Just as most releases this gen were.  The base consoles set the standard today, just as they did last gen.

This isn’t even that.  It’s a port up of a port down with marginal effort.

Multiplayer paywalls aren’t relevant here.  Nevertheless, I’ve been against then since the very beginning.  By all means, let’s see one of the manufacturers drop theirs and I’ll be throwing the confetti.

Why do you hate consoles?