Gf and I were watching 1408. About 20 minutes from the end (open spoilers)

We had to stop the film because she was called out to work, but we were REALLY into the film. We got to the point where he was at the post office and everyone "destroyed" the room back to 1408, followed by, "I WAS OUT!!!! I WAS OUT!!!!"

We're going to finish the movie Sunday morning, but some stray thoughts:

1. We both noticed it got really evil, really quickly. From chocolate on the pillow to a neverending series of bricks outside and someone trying to hack him. 
  2. We're not sure yet and probably will know by the end of the movie (or at least it'll be left ambiguous), but she brought up the possibility that Samuel L Jackson's character is a ghost. We didn't think much of it at the time, but the woman got a manager to speak with Mike and instead of the guy she approached, Jackson's character appears. Then they go into a room to speak in private. It seemed like he was some kind of good spirit who was trying to warn him, and then when Mike exited the elevator and another one opened down the hall -- an empty one -- it was like one last chance to go back before entering the room.
  3. It's creepy but some of it is "funny" to us, just in the sense of how absurd the events are and the kind of things that he's experiencing that are preventing him from leaving. Yeah, we know it's not really supposed to be funny (though I did laugh when the ghost version of him winked on the computer), but this room is an evil sumbitch.

Guess my final thoughts will come Sunday once we finish the last 20 minutes. It's fun and very interesting so far! 

I like the movie. And it really isn't that scary like a traditional horror film. I know a person who hates horror cuz they are easily scared and isn't ashamed to admit it, and even they were able to watch 1408. 

7 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

just FYI, not sure how you are watching it (streaming or disc), but the movie actually has two different endings 

Huh. We're watching it on DVD. How does it have two endings?

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I like the movie. And it really isn't that scary like a traditional horror film. I know a person who hates horror cuz they are easily scared and isn't ashamed to admit it, and even they were able to watch 1408. 

There are a few jump scares, but you're right. I figured it wouldn't be overwhelming when I saw it was "psychological horror." I guess the best way to describe it is it's perpetually creepy.

44 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

just FYI, not sure how you are watching it (streaming or disc), but the movie actually has two different endings 

37 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Huh. We're watching it on DVD. How does it have two endings?

4 endings

Theatrical

Directors Cut

Alternate Ending Combines some of the Theatrical and a discarded ending

Alternate ending #2 is similar to the Theatrical.

Movie is very solid and I hate to use this term but "under appreciated". 

I really like it and a big part of that is John Cusack. He's really endearing in most of his roles somehow. Also, I really like 'washed up writer' trope movies for some reason.

I think I saw both Theatrical and Directors Cut endings and can't remember the difference at all, it's been a while apparently.

Finished the movie.

We had an old DVD, so our version was the theatrical cut. We watched the other ending on Youtube, which apparently is the default on Blu-Ray and streaming. And we couldn't figure out why? The theatrical cut seems like a better conclusion.