Will the Wisconsin Supreme Court become more progressive? Update: Liberal judge wins by 11 points

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/07/us/elections/results-wisconsin-spring-elections.html?action=click&module=ELEX_results&pgtype=Interactive&region=Navigation

Conservatives have a 5-2 majority. The liberal judge currently leads 52.8-47.2 with 53% of precincts reporting.

Keep in mind that Republicans wanted this election to happen last week, and Democrats did not. 

13 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/07/us/elections/results-wisconsin-spring-elections.html?action=click&module=ELEX_results&pgtype=Interactive&region=Navigation

Conservatives have a 5-2 majority. The liberal judge currently leads 52.8-47.2 with 53% of precincts reporting.

Keep in mind that Republicans wanted this election to happen last week, and Democrats did not. 

That would be pretty lulz if the Democrat wins anyways.

Wisconsin's Kenosha County is considered a swing county, and its vote margin has been very close to the statewide vote. The liberal judge is leading there with close to 60% of the vote according to the NYT site (~15k for the liberal, ~10k for the conservative). Strangely, the numbers on the BI page are completely different. I dunno.

6 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

So it'll be 4-3 assuming Karofsky wins? How often is a judge up for re-election on that court? 

There was an election in 2019, and I know there was one in 2016 IIRC. I don't know how often it is, though.

And yes, it'd be 4-3 if Karofsky wins.

There is still a bit of a "Heads I win, tails you lose" aspect here for the GOP.

If they win, the suppression worked. If they lose, they can argue, "See, what were Dems complaining about? They still won!".

This may seem like only rhetorical point scoring, but from what I understand SCOTUS cited such instances as proof that vote shenanigans wasn't that big of a deal in the gerrymandering case. So yeah, apparently, "It doesn't matter that I broke your leg before the race so long as I am such a slow runner I still manage to lose" is a valid argument.

10 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

There is still a bit of a "Heads I win, tails you lose" aspect here for the GOP.

If they win, the suppression worked. If they lose, they can argue, "See, what were Dems complaining about? They still won!".

This may seem like only rhetorical point scoring, but from what I understand SCOTUS cited such instances as proof that vote shenanigans wasn't that big of a deal in the gerrymandering case. So yeah, apparently, "It doesn't matter that I broke your leg before the race so long as I am such a slow runner I still manage to lose" is a valid argument.

Something tells me a loss by the liberal judge here would do nothing to sway the opinions of the shitty right-wing judges. :p 

14 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

That would be pretty lulz if the Democrat wins anyways.

Just found this story and it makes it funnier.

“Look, the Supreme Court — well, of course they were right, because what the Democrats wanted — and you know why this happened,” Trump said. “I supported a man named Justice Kelly, who’s — Daniel Kelly, highly respected justice. And I supported him just the other day — social media. I know of him. He’s a — just a, you know, fantastic judge, justice. And I endorsed him.”

“And as soon as I endorsed him,” Trump continued, “they wanted to move the election. They didn’t want to move the election. As soon as I endorsed him, the Wisconsin Democrats say, ‘Oh, let’s move the election to two months later.’ They didn’t mind having the election until I endorsed him, which is very interesting. Now they talk about, ‘Oh, safety, safety.’ Well, it was 15 minutes after I put out an endorsement that they said, ‘We have to move the election.’ They didn’t want to move the election before that.”

• Guillotine 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...