2 months of lag........... for free!

Mr.Vic20

Phil Harrison, Vice President and General Manager at Google, just announced the company's decision to gift two months of Stadia Pro subscription to everyone. The rollout will happen over the next 48 hours or so across the 14 countries that currently support Stadia: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

•Destiny 2: The Collection
•GRID
•Gylt (Stadia Exclusive by TequilaWorks)
•SteamWorld Dig 2
•SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
•Serious Sam Collection
•Spitlings
•Stacks on Stacks (on Stacks)
•Thumper

I want to play Gylt and that’s it

So, I've just given Stadia a go. 

First thing, it's dumb that I have to download the Stadia app to then add games to my Library, but that was an easy hurdle to get past (after spending a few minutes wondering why I could only see screenshots and videos). 

I was using a PS4 controller (wired) with my Xbox 360 wired controller not being recognised when I plugged it in. 

I also had a quick look at streaming requirement, 10Mbps is the minimum (I'm guessing for 720p streaming) with a recommended 35Mbps for 4K/60FPS.

My connection sitting in my lounge is 43.15Mbps download and 8.92Mbps upload, so sufficient for either (though I went 1080p). I should also say that outside of things like Doom 2, Deus Ex and Theme Hospital, I've never used a PC for any gaming, so my frame of reference is console gaming. 

I tried out Destiny 2 first and it ran...OK. The initial starting part was fine, but then as soon as I was required to do some killing, it felt like the on-screen actions were maybe 1/4 a second behind me, which obviously made the experience shit, so I clicked out. It also took me about 10 minutes (and a task manager quit) to realise the that PS button allowed me to leave a game. 

I tried the Serious Sam collection next and that ran better, although not as well as I'd imagine my actual, terrible laptop would run the game. I played First Encounter, killed a few enemies, killed a mini-boss and then quit. Not really for me. 

I gave Thumper a go and that ran well, was fun and could be something I'd return back to, although my heart tells me I need headphones for it. 

Finally, I tried Gylt and this ran well. I've played the main opening of the game and had a few enemy encounters, but then on arriving at an area with a burst pipe that was letting a load of steam off, the game became unplayable (it felt like it dropped down to about 2 fps). I'll dip back in to this also (unless it's killed off my save) as the overall tone was quite good (it felt almost like Alan Wake for kids, directed by Tim Burton) and it's only 6 hours, so possibly if I just get past that whole steam fiasco, it'll be smooth sailing. 

I've also 'claimed' GRID but I can't see that being a very fun game to run through Stadia, but we'll see. 

So yeah, if I was scored Stadia on my initial experience it would get a D+ at the moment. 

11 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

So, I've just given Stadia a go. 

First thing, it's dumb that I have to download the Stadia app to then add games to my Library, but that was an easy hurdle to get past (after spending a few minutes wondering why I could only see screenshots and videos).

THAT'S what i was doing wrong! I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the impressions :thumbup: Looking forward to giving Gylt a try.