General photography

Lets see what everyone is working with nowadays. I finally got into the super-telephoto range today. Going to try to get out this weekend in the morning to see if I can get any good photos with it. Ignore the iphone photo, hoping to get a D850 some time in the next 6 months.

Here's what other people have gotten with the 200-500 if anyones interested in getting a very capable affordable lens.

28754495227_600b0e0889_k.jpg

Quick photo I took when I took it out of the box

28754639197_e674942126_o.jpg

Great idea for a thread! :twothumbsup: 

@mach250 For whatever reason the image you posted isn't embedding in the page properly, or at least not for me.

I'm just a beginner, so I just have a Nikon D90 and the kit lens, plus a 50 mm and a 70-300 mm lens (the cheaper one, not the $500+ one), but I enjoy tooling around a bit with photography and Photoshop. I'll post a picture or two later once I've found a couple good examples.

On 7/29/2018 at 10:06 AM, Nokra said:

Great idea for a thread! :twothumbsup: 

@mach250 For whatever reason the image you posted isn't embedding in the page properly, or at least not for me.

I'm just a beginner, so I just have a Nikon D90 and the kit lens, plus a 50 mm and a 70-300 mm lens (the cheaper one, not the $500+ one), but I enjoy tooling around a bit with photography and Photoshop. I'll post a picture or two later once I've found a couple good examples.

His picture used to work, not sure what has happened since since it isn't working for me now either. It did look good though!

I just got back from vacation, I'll probably post a few pics in this thread once I do a little post processing. It's almost cheating, but some of my favorite photos were from my safari in Africa a few years back. I bought a 150-600mm for Africa and I've been starting to get into birding to put it to more use.

I primarily shoot Nikon. I have a D7100 and a D7000 and a small collection of lenses. I also have a Fuji XT-10 and a Sony RX100 MK1. I'm really interested in the upcoming Nikon FF mirrorless. I've been wanting to upgrade my body for a long time but the D850 is a bit pricey and the D750 is a bit long in the tooth. I was looking very hard at the Sony lineup, but replacing the lenses would be really expensive. If the new Nikon can hit the right marks, I'll probably sell off the Fuji. If it doesn't, I'll either wait for a D750 repalcement this year or just start saving up for a D850. I've been wanting to go FF for a long time, but it can be hard to justify the cost when my existing cameras take pretty nice shots. 

I do really love the little Sony. I got it years ago refurbished and on sale, and it's a beast of a pocket camera. The 20MP 1" sensor is really excellent, and when I don't want to carry something big it's a wonderful little camera to keep in your pocket. I also found an underwater housing for it and it's been my primary dive camera for a while now. I don't have a full strobe setup or anything, but it's rather impressive what you can get out of it. Shoot at f 1.8 in RAW and you can really recover some amazing color without a strobe (in shallow water and decent light at least.) When the housing for a DSLR goes for as much as the body did when it was new (and they basically never go on sale), the sub $500 price for the Sony and the housing is a steal.

Last time I took any photo's using my Canon 70D(w) with a generic Canon 18-135mm lens was during  my undergraduate studies at UCB. I was doing generic graffiti photographs near the train tracks, and then did a lot of post production in Photoshop with the RAW file.

They came out pretty close to what I wanted, but if I were to ever do a similar assignment again I think I would do less color adjustments

1465859_10201287926065759_657552115_o.jp

My instagram account is @riley.lewis.photo, I am a wedding photographer (among other things) as a side job. I don't have an image of my current gear, but my primary stuff is:

Canon 5D mk III

24-70 f2.8L  II

70-200 f4L IS

35 f1.4L

50 f1.4

85 f1.4

135 f2L

Along with a godox lighting system (2 off-camera flash + controller, usually).

I also have a backup 7D and a few lenses, but usually only use it as a second body during the ceremony part of weddings. 

What made me choose it was that I got it for 1/2 price from a friend whose step-dad passed away! He actually gave me the choice between a 2.8 w/o IS or a 4 w/ IS. I chose the IS since it's quite a bit lighter and more compact. If I bought one of them today, I'd probably go with the 2.8L IS II. Well, except that it's super expensive. But my choice was between faster aperture without IS, or slower (and lighter) with IS. At the time (6 or  years ago) I didn't know that I would eventually rather have the extra low-light capability, but oh well! Honestly, I very rarely use the lens anyway, opting instead for my 135 f2L (my favourite lens). 

If I had the chance and money, I would buy a second 5D mk iii (or mk iv) and a 70-200 f2.8L IS II. Then I'd be really good for ceremonies, with one camera 24-70 and the other 70-200. But I would also have a destroyed back from having both on me, lol.

I haven't really dug into photography as much as I wanted to, but I usually take my gear whenever I go on a trip or get in the mood to go take some shots

This is from my latest outing. Its heavily edited and I think I messed up the focus just a tad, but pretty happy for my second attempt. I was reading a thread about compiling images together to help remove grain, I might give that a go next time.

DhbBZdo.jpg

Gear:

Sony A6000

Sigma 30mm F2.8

Rokinon 12mm F2.0

Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, TwinIon said:

I just got back from vacation, I'll probably post a few pics in this thread once I do a little post processing. It's almost cheating, but some of my favorite photos were from my safari in Africa a few years back. I bought a 150-600mm for Africa and I've been starting to get into birding to put it to more use.

I primarily shoot Nikon. I have a D7100 and a D7000 and a small collection of lenses. I also have a Fuji XT-10 and a Sony RX100 MK1. I'm really interested in the upcoming Nikon FF mirrorless. I've been wanting to upgrade my body for a long time but the D850 is a bit pricey and the D750 is a bit long in the tooth. I was looking very hard at the Sony lineup, but replacing the lenses would be really expensive. If the new Nikon can hit the right marks, I'll probably sell off the Fuji. If it doesn't, I'll either wait for a D750 repalcement this year or just start saving up for a D850. I've been wanting to go FF for a long time, but it can be hard to justify the cost when my existing cameras take pretty nice shots. 

I do really love the little Sony. I got it years ago refurbished and on sale, and it's a beast of a pocket camera. The 20MP 1" sensor is really excellent, and when I don't want to carry something big it's a wonderful little camera to keep in your pocket. I also found an underwater housing for it and it's been my primary dive camera for a while now. I don't have a full strobe setup or anything, but it's rather impressive what you can get out of it. Shoot at f 1.8 in RAW and you can really recover some amazing color without a strobe (in shallow water and decent light at least.) When the housing for a DSLR goes for as much as the body did when it was new (and they basically never go on sale), the sub $500 price for the Sony and the housing is a steal.

I've been keeping my eye on the mirrorless news, I'm waiting on buying a D850 until the middle of next week when they release the full specs for it.

Not sure why my images stopped working.

Some photos from my Mediterranean/Indian ocean travels, didn't have my Nikon kit with me sadly...

Seychelles

25616732078_0d65532254_h.jpg%5D

25616735418_a8ac302547_h.jpg

39486471871_87e4b3eff0_h.jpg

25616730728_b8a1205a1b_h.jpg

24619851217_5891a5d54c_h.jpg

Haifa Isreal

38778236504_d214057284_h.jpg

39486476751_99d8aa0b14_h.jpg

25616737228_6b5a778851_h.jpg

Mauritius

25616733018_52e8ee8326_h.jpg

25616733728_7e659bb393_h.jpg

38778235644_31386efdcf_h.jpg

44022465041_41bbfe19c1_h.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Nikon finally announced their new full frame mirrorless cameras and I'm considering if this is where I finally go full frame. Of the Nikon FX lineup, the D850 is the only "modern" camera there, and I can't justify the price. The Z6 would be $2700 with the adapter and lens, and I feel like it's more future proof than buying a (significantly cheaper) four year old D750 or 6 year old D600. I could still use most of my old lenses (I do have some DX glass), including my more expensive pieces.

It's a good deal more than I've spent on a camera before, but I've been wanting to make the jump to a nicer camera for a while, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm overspending out of gear lust or I'd be better off spending less for a less exciting gizmo.

The new Canon mirrorless EOS R is an odd bit of kit, assuming the leaks are all correct. The lack of IBIS is particularly odd, and I'm curious why Canon decided to go that route. The listed AF points are 5,655, which probably means that they're doing something rather unique with their AF system. That's by far the most exciting thing so far. A new mount makes sense for them, but it is a shame for anyone who is in their APS-C mirrorless system that was hoping to upgrade. The lenses they're putting out sure sound good.A 50mm 1.2, 24-105 f/4, and that 28-70 f/2 in particular seem like a solid place 

Regardless, I'm slowly coming off the mirrorless hype train, for now. It probably doesn't make any sense for me to buy into any of these first gen products. If I was interested in the Sony system, I could probably justify that, but I'm not.

I'm going to go full frame with Nikon, I just have to figure out if I will shell out for a do-it-all D850, or if I would rather get a D750 or D810 and another lens. I like to do wildlife and I'm getting more into birds, and I don't think the D750 or D810 would be any better than my D7100. So the 850 is the only one that would be an all-around upgrade, but obviously I don't need something quite so substantial, but it's so easy to want it.