Brexit set for the end of January

Jason

51 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So the solution to Ireland is to put a border between Ireland and the rest of the UK? If Brexit goes badly (and it could easily go pretty badly), I wonder how long Northern Ireland still feels like part of the UK.

I'd say once Scotland leaves (for the EU), N. Ireland will start the process of reunification.

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'd say once Scotland leaves (for the EU), N. Ireland will start the process of reunification.

Scotland won't necessarily be the first mover. I know an English guy whose wife is from Northern Ireland who's convinced that if a hard border gets reinstated in Ireland that the Troubles will flare back up.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Scotland won't necessarily be the first mover. I know an English guy whose wife is from Northern Ireland who's convinced that if a hard border gets reinstated in Ireland that the Troubles will flare back up.

It seems from this deal that there won't be a hard border IN Ireland. They're effectively making a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Still, it makes me think they could be a first mover here. They're immediately going to feel as though they already have left the UK, but they're still in a position to be dragged down by a Brexiting UK.

In most of these break up movements that Russia wants(and sometimes tangibly mettles in) it is tempting, but ultimately self-defeating, to respond in kind. 

For example, we have to hear about how lucky we all are that Texas doesn't just suceed because everthing's bigger in Texas, and we need them, and blah blah blah. So it's tempting to talk about California doing the same. But that is not the answer, and no surprise Russia was caught ginning up that shit after Trump was elected.

That all said, in this case I think it's the exception. Because rooting for Scotland to leave the U.K. and Irish reunification and subsequently both (re)joining the E.U. may be the least favorable outcome for Russia if the U.K. is dead set on leaving the E.U.

So when the dust settles, and Scotland has a second vote to leave, it'll be ok to point and laugh at all the Alabama British people squealing about Scotland voting to break up their Union with zero self-awareness of the hypocrisy.

• 3 weeks later...