Opinions on PS VR

erehwon

On 11/30/2019 at 3:47 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Why would you pay top dollar for an experience you find barely acceptable? Especially when the tech is just going to continue to improve? That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was leaning towards the PSVR or the Quest for primarily for the price point. Dropping a couple of hundred dollars for tech that is still basically a gimmick is fine at this point. What won me over to Sony's system ultimately was the games it has that you can't play anywhere else. Honestly the Quest may have suited me better, with it being untethered but I decided to go with Sony. I know Valve's system is the most advanced , but the price point along with not having the room to set up that system properly made it prohibitive for me at the moment.  I've played around with it and it IS cool. But Sony's machine is decent enough at this point for the price and the fact that it will be compatible with the PS5.

For me it was a couple of things... #1) The actual headset I view as temporary. There is a difference between barely acceptable (which Index far exceeds) and barely good enough. Probably a bad choice of words on my part. Several things make Index stand out to me (and I've played on Wireless Vive Pro, Oculus, etc...). The increased vertical FOV and higher refresh rate are extremely noticeable. When I go back and play my friends Vive Pro I feel like I have blinders on and am moving my head vs looking with my eyes. So I fully intend to upgrade/replace my headset at some point. That said, the headset iteration hasn't moved all that quickly, so my logic on the headset is that I'll probably have it at least a couple of years before something that is head & shoulders better becomes available.

#2 is that the Base Stations and the controllers I think are a major step forward. It's not a big deal for older games that simply remap inputs, but the games that natively support them they're a game changer.

Finally, regarding the price point... you really do get what you pay for and it's a decent value compared to what you're giving up by going with a less expensive headset. That said, the price point isn't that expensive for me. My debate was between the Index and the Pimax 8k or 5k+. 

Okay I'm completely sold on VR... I've bought a bunch of games and the aim controller and will probably get the Oculus Quest before the year ends because I want to explore VR cinema. I was introduced to it at Sundance a couple of years ago and I'm very interested in it as well so... I think between the PSVR and the Quest, I'll be good for a couple of years.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Okay I'm completely sold on VR... I've bought a bunch of games and the aim controller and will probably get the Oculus Quest before the year ends because I want to explore VR cinema. I was introduced to it at Sundance a couple of years ago and I'm very interested in it as well so... I think between the PSVR and the Quest, I'll be good for a couple of years.

62-F2-E6-A9-4-DE3-4061-979-B-C42-B5-E6-F

• Haha 2

This thread convinced me to play Astro Bot again, and I forgot how incredible that game is.  I was still in awe even after beating it last year.  People keep saying Half Life: Alyx will be VR's killer app, but I feel like Astro Bot already is, and it showcases the strengths of VR without any motion controls or bulky peripherals. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Farpoint is awesome as is Blood and Truth. I need to figure out how to keep my controller from drifting though. I believe it may be a camera issue. Any tips?

Yeah, some people complained that Sony supported PSVR so heavily because they wanted more traditional PS4 support, but it's like damned if you do, damned if you don't since people complained when they stopped making games for the Vita. I love the support they've put in and I can't wait until Iron Man VR.

For drifting, it MAY be the lighting (other sources of light affecting the Camera sensors). 

On 12/7/2019 at 12:10 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

This thread convinced me to play Astro Bot again, and I forgot how incredible that game is.  I was still in awe even after beating it last year.  People keep saying Half Life: Alyx will be VR's killer app, but I feel like Astro Bot already is, and it showcases the strengths of VR without any motion controls or bulky peripherals. 

Astro Bot, Battlezone, Rez, Tetris Infinite, Polybius and other games that use a normal controller are exactly what I wanted out of VR. I will admit some of the stuff with the AIM controller is cool but I like sitting down when I game lol.

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Any light sources directly above or behind you screw with the camera tracking.

Hmmm. I don't have any lightsources behind me or above me when I play.

36 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Astro Bot, Battlezone, Rez, Tetris Infinite, Polybius and other games that use a normal controller are exactly what I wanted out of VR. I will admit some of the stuff with the AIM controller is cool but I like sitting down when I game lol.

Wait, am I supposed to be STANDING when using the aim controller? Lol! I've been playing sitting down.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I fixed my drift issue I think Pretty sure the glare and reflections from my coffee table were throwing my controllers off. Why didn't someone tell me that Until Dawn Rush of Blood was so freaking scary:lol:

When you're sitting there and people start running at you, it's freaky, man.

Cool game, though!

I love my PSVR. I first had it with a Base and later got a pro. no real big difference. I am still behind on picking up PSVR games. I really like Polybius and Superhot. I'm a huge REZ fan and REZ in VR is great. I wish more on rails shooters got a VR release. Like the new Panzer Dragoon game.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I fixed my drift issue I think Pretty sure the glare and reflections from my coffee table were throwing my controllers off. Why didn't someone tell me that Until Dawn Rush of Blood was so freaking scary:lol:

Not scary, but make sure you get the OG (EA) Battlefront (get it used for dirt cheap) as there’s an exclusive PSVR X-Wing mission that’s a TON of fun and ties into Rogue One.