Opinions on PS VR

erehwon

I'm looking at the PS VR since it is on sale this Black Friday.  I was wondering what experiences you guys have had with the PS VR?  I've been looking at getting one for a while.  I do have several VR games already that I had picked up for cheap.

The one thing I'm concerned about is half life alyx was just announced.  That will be on the pc and doesn't look like it will be compatible with the PS VR.  I'm not certain I want to spend the money on two VR headsets.

I fucking love it. Admittedly, there's not the quantity of software yet compared to traditional consoles, but there's quality. I've heard great things about Blood & Truth, and Iron Man VR is looking fab. Currently, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is the one of the main games that gets raves, and it's for good reason: it's charming, it's fun, it's colorful, and I find it so cool to look around the linear stage for hidden bots and secrets. Just a lovely game overall.

Sony's done a really good job supporting it, and the Insomniac acquisition makes me think they will also develop some games for it considering their experience with VR and making multiple games at a time.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I fucking love it. Admittedly, there's not the quantity of software yet compared to traditional consoles, but there's quality. I've heard great things about Blood & Truth, and Iron Man VR is looking fab. Currently, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is the one of the main games that gets raves, and it's for good reason: it's charming, it's fun, it's colorful, and I find it so cool to look around the linear stage for hidden bots and secrets. Just a lovely game overall.

Sony's done a really good job supporting it, and the Insomniac acquisition makes me think they will also develop some games for it considering their experience with VR and making multiple games at a time.

How does it run on the PSpoor? Is it even worth getting if you don't have a pro?

Yea, I don't have the pro and was wondering about that as well.  I heard might have to get some bumpers to keep my glasses from scratching the screens.

I've picked up for cheap:  Gungrave VR, Resident Evil 7, Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, and Zone of the enders the second runner Mars. I only need to pick up the $199 bundle since I picked up a set of the ps3 move controllers at a garage sale.  I think they are compatible.

PSVR is fantastic but I was playing on a Pro and I have heard the Pro makes a big difference in a lot of PSVR games. Also there are ways to use the PSVR on PC so you should be able to play Half-Life: Alyx with it! Also you can play Switch VR games on PSVR instead of LABO if you are interested.

27 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

PSVR is fantastic but I was playing on a Pro and I have heard the Pro makes a big difference in a lot of PSVR games. Also there are ways to use the PSVR on PC so you should be able to play Half-Life: Alyx with it! Also you can play Switch VR games on PSVR instead of LABO if you are interested.

That is good to hear about getting it to work on the PC.  I managed to pick up one of the $199 bundles last night at gamestop.  Tried Target but none of the Targets got the bundle in my area.  I was rather annoyed by that since I had a $25 GC at target.  Oh well.  Gamestop gave out a $25 coupon with the purchase.  Balances out I guess.

Astrobot is Mario in VR. A superb platformer. 

It's a good introduction to VR but there are big downfalls. Games that require the move controllers are hampered by the shitty tracking of the controllers. It feels neat at first but as you play more the constant recalibration is a nuisance. 

It works fine on the base PS4, but a couple of games I tried could have used the power of the Pro to up the frame rate. Wipeout was the only one to make me feel nauseous. 

I recommend if you have money to burn and just want to try out VR then it's a good buy. If you're strapped for cash then wait. 

The occulus quest looks like a killer alternative though because the inside out tracking is more convenient. You can use it as a standalone system completely wireless or hook a single cable to a PC. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm torn between getting the PSVR and the Occulus Quest to be honest. Right now the PSVR seems to have more must play games based on my very limited research. How can you get the PSVR ro work with a P.C.?

I have both and like the Quest significantly more. But PSVR is still pretty good and the current prices are hard to beat.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn, now you guys have me second guessing :p Should I cancel my order and get an Occulus Quest? I have until tomorrow...

PSVR is great introductory VR device due to its cost, library (with good sales), and future proof (will work with PS5). Having said that, it is an older headset with some tracking limitations due to the camera. Oculus Quest is an impressive headset but is more expensive and will eventually need a beefy PC as it ages. Playing VR with no cords attached is truly fantastic and worth the price. 

You can’t go wrong with either choice. Just depends what you are looking for. 

20 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

PSVR is great introductory VR device due to its cost, library (with good sales), and future proof (will work with PS5). Having said that, it is an older headset with some tracking limitations due to the camera. Oculus Quest is an impressive headset but is more expensive and will eventually need a beefy PC as it ages. Playing VR with no cords attached is truly fantastic and worth the price. 

You can’t go wrong with either choice. Just depends what you are looking for. 

The games is what sold me ultimately... PSVR just seemed to have more exclusives. But the appeal of being untethered with better technology is what has me second guessing.  I'll get a quest eventually but right now I'll stick with the PSVR. I won't be able to try it until I'm back home and pick it up tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The games is what sold me ultimately... PSVR just seemed to have more exclusives. But the appeal of being untethered with better technology is what has me second guessing.  I'll get a quest eventually but right now I'll stick with the PSVR. I won't be able to try it until I'm back home and pick it up tomorrow. 

That's what I am going to do.  I've already picked up several games. I don't really have to the funds for the quest, but the PSVR will be good enough for now.

I hope I don't come off as a VR snob here, but I've got a Valve Index. I waited for a while to get into VR and I'll tell you that even while the Index is very good, I consider it to be barely good enough.

That said if I were to recommend buying a VR, I would definitely go the PC route and going all in. It has the best library and the ability to mod. Beat Saber is a great example.. on PS4 you get like maybe 30 songs, plus about 30 more as paid DLC. On PC there are thousands.

2 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

It has the best library and the ability to mod. Beat Saber is a great example.. on PS4 you get like maybe 30 songs, plus about 30 more as paid DLC. On PC there are thousands.

Beat Saber on the Quest is the best BS experience, IMO. Being completely wireless for it is fantastic.

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Beat Saber on the Quest is the best BS experience, IMO. Being completely wireless for it is fantastic.

That seems like a game that would benefit from being untethered. 

2 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

I hope I don't come off as a VR snob here, but I've got a Valve Index. I waited for a while to get into VR and I'll tell you that even while the Index is very good, I consider it to be barely good enough.

That said if I were to recommend buying a VR, I would definitely go the PC route and going all in. It has the best library and the ability to mod. Beat Saber is a great example.. on PS4 you get like maybe 30 songs, plus about 30 more as paid DLC. On PC there are thousands.

Why would you pay top dollar for an experience you find barely acceptable? Especially when the tech is just going to continue to improve? That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was leaning towards the PSVR or the Quest for primarily for the price point. Dropping a couple of hundred dollars for tech that is still basically a gimmick is fine at this point. What won me over to Sony's system ultimately was the games it has that you can't play anywhere else. Honestly the Quest may have suited me better, with it being untethered but I decided to go with Sony. I know Valve's system is the most advanced , but the price point along with not having the room to set up that system properly made it prohibitive for me at the moment.  I've played around with it and it IS cool. But Sony's machine is decent enough at this point for the price and the fact that it will be compatible with the PS5.

The most appealing thing about PSVR is the quality of software on the PS4.  Even if all you played on it was Astro Bot, it would be worth the price of admission.   The fact that Tetris Effect, Wipeout, RE7, etc. are all also there makes it a no-brainer.  Of course VR will continue to improve, and the current headsets only represent a fraction of the technology's real potential, but it's certainly worth diving in if you are interested, particularly with the current deals.

Here's my dilemma: I bought a PSVR and hooked it up yesterday. Had a blast playing it and everything seemed fine. I woke up this morning and now screen mirroring is no longer working. If I turn on my PS4 and want to just play a regular game, I get no picture. When I disconnect the VR processing unit and plug the PS4 back directly into the TV, The picture comes back. After doing some research it seems that early PS4's may have issues working with the PSVR... OR my HDMI port on my PS4 maybe going. So I may have to replace my PS4 (which works FINE without the PSVR) or just return the VR unit (which I'm tempted to do) I may just take it back and get the Occulus. The PSVR is cool but I'm not really a fan of Sony's ecosystem and I don't want to invest more money in another PS4 or even getting the one I have repaired So close to new systems coming out just for VR. What say you guys?

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Here's my dilemma: I bought a PSVR and hooked it up yesterday. Had a blast playing it and everything seemed fine. I woke up this morning and now screen mirroring is no longer working. If I turn on my PS4 and want to just play a regular game, I get no picture. When I disconnect the VR processing unit and plug the PS4 back directly into the TV, The picture comes back. After doing some research it seems that early PS4's may have issues working with the PSVR... OR my HDMI port on my PS4 maybe going. So I may have to replace my PS4 (which works FINE without the PSVR) or just return the VR unit (which I'm tempted to do) I may just take it back and get the Occulus. The PSVR is cool but I'm not really a fan of Sony's ecosystem and I don't want to invest more money in another PS4 or even getting the one I have repaired So close to new systems coming out just for VR. What say you guys?

I had something similar happen to me when I initially hooked it up.  I don't remember if it was the screen mirroring, but I had some funky HDMI issues.  I think I switched my HDMI cables (the one from the VR unit to the PS4 and PS4 to TV) and it worked fine.  I don't think I'd give up yet or assume that something is truly wrong.  Do you have the HDMI cables hooked into the correct slot on the processing unit?  Have you tried other cables or a different HDMI slot?

I don't have experience with the Oculus or any other headset, so I can't speak to their quality, but I will echo my other post and say that there are some truly incredible games for the system like Moss, Rez (especially Rez), Wipeout, Astro Bot, RE7, and Thumper.  I can't speak to the PS Move compatible games since I only have the headset, but I've heard excellent things about many of those games as well.

I should note that I also have a base PS4.

Just now, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I had something similar happen to me when I initially hooked it up.  I don't remember if it was the screen mirroring, but I had some funky HDMI issues.  I think I switched my HDMI cables (the one from the VR unit to the PS4 and PS4 to TV) and it worked fine.  I don't think I'd give up yet or assume that something is truly wrong.  Do you have the HDMI cables hooked into the correct slot on the processing unit?  Have you tried other cables or a different HDMI slot?

I don't have experience with the Oculus or any other headset, so I can't speak to their quality, but I will echo my other post and say that there are some truly incredible games for the system like Moss, Rez (especially Rez), Wipeout, Astro Bot, RE7, and Thumper.  I can't speak to the PS Move compatible games since I only have the headset, but I've heard excellent things about many of those games as well.

I played that Blood and Truth game with the Move controllers and it's very fun. It doesn't work perfectly and I can only play in short spurts due to the motion sickness but I had a blast last night and was eager to try some other games. I'm fairly certain the issue is with my PS4 and not the HDMI input or the cables, but I'll try switching some things up and see if any of that works before I give up on it entirely.

12 hours ago, erehwon said:

I've only played my psvr once so far.  I've been sick all weekend.  I tried the vr mode for Zone of the Enders 2.  That was neat.  It does take a little getting used to since I wear glasses.

I wear glasses to and it works better than I thought. Gets a little sweaty though. I got my everything working again last night and everything seems to be fine. I rebooted the PS4 in safe mode and downloaded an update and things seem to be working after that. Hopefully it was just an HDMI handshake thing... I don't trust Sony's updates. I'm digging VR though. I tried a couple more games on the demo disc last night... I fell in LOVE with Astro Bot and Battlezone seems cool if a little simplistic. I'm very impressed by how well this thing works given the hardware it's running on. Shit I just MIGHT go ahead and get a quest as well.