Thieves steal ‘priceless’ jewel sets from Dresden museum

https://apnews.com/47729e66a3de48059a6350bafe19a3ee

Thieves broke into Dresden’s Green Vault, one of the world’s oldest museums, early Monday morning, making off with three “priceless” sets of 18th century jewelry that German officials said would be impossible to sell on the open market.

The treasury of Augustus the Strong of Saxony was established in 1723 and today contains around 4,000 objects of gold, precious stones and other materials on display in Dresden’s Royal Palace.

Authorities said it appeared the thieves had broken open only one glass case containing three sets of Baroque jewelry made up of dozens of gems each.

“This is a bitter day for the cultural heritage of Saxony,” the state’s interior minister, Roland Woeller, told reporters.

He said the thieves “stole cultural treasures of immeasurable worth — that is not only the material worth but also the intangible worth to the state of Saxony, which is impossible to estimate.”

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But s/he couldn't show it off which is why you'd want to have it.

As a collector having it is what's important. Showing the stuff off is nice but for example I want the Pyra and Mythra PVCs. I don't care if I couldn't show people it. I just want to see my waifu on my desk or something.