Epic Games suing Leaker

JPDunks4

There's a REASON they have you sign those non-disclosure agreements...  probably fucked.

EDIT: I just read what he did... he's probably a dumb kid who just couldn't resist sitting on what he knew. Still what a dumb way to break an NDA. They bare probably gonna sue him to make an example of him. I've done a fair amount of videogame work in the last couple of years and NDA'S are standard. I'm not a kid so I can resist blabbing about some of the shit I know ahead of time... also i like getting paid :p

Considering he didn't just talk about it, but also posted a picture of the new map, I would have no problem siding with Epic. My only lingering question is what is the price tag for breaking an NDA like that. Is there a standard amount for breaking the NDA or is it based on how big the leak was and how much "damage" was done.  How do you put a price tag on "ruining customers excitement" like Epic claims. 

17 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Considering he didn't just talk about it, but also posted a picture of the new map, I would have no problem siding with Epic. My only lingering question is what is the price tag for breaking an NDA like that. Is there a standard amount for breaking the NDA or is it based on how big the leak was and how much "damage" was done.  How do you put a price tag on "ruining customers excitement" like Epic claims. 

They could factor in the cost of the marketing campaign they had planned. There's always a budget for that stuff.I've signed plenty of these NDA'S... only a child or an idiot would break them. I know a trailer editor who's career was ruined years ago for leaking footage from the first Iron Man movie online. Just no reason to do shit like this if your livelihood depends on it.

Why would the dude announce he can leak info from his own Twitter account? And then how does Epic know that it was the same guy who leaked the info from a different Twitter account? I mean, it sounds like the guy is stupid. But then it also sounds like Epic is just going on a witch hunt to make an example of people without any solid evidence to back it up.

I'm scrolling through the lawsuit, and I'm not seeing where Epic is confirming how and where Sykes leaked the info. Item's 51 and 52 is where they start making their allegations against him, but even it admits this is all based on "information and belief"... I'm not meaning to defend the guy at all. But a powerful, wealthy company gets to throw out lawsuits based on beliefs that they can easily afford which this dude might not be able to? Kind of a sucky system of justice, especially if the guy is innocent.

2 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

But a powerful, wealthy company gets to throw out lawsuits based on beliefs that they can easily afford which this dude might not be able to? Kind of a sucky system of justice, especially if the guy is innocent.

Hi, welcome to America!

And if YOU dare to sue them you get called a greedy opportunist crybaby because lawsuits are only respected when it's the big man swinging at the little guy!

37 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Why would the dude announce he can leak info from his own Twitter account? And then how does Epic know that it was the same guy who leaked the info from a different Twitter account? I mean, it sounds like the guy is stupid. But then it also sounds like Epic is just going on a witch hunt to make an example of people without any solid evidence to back it up.

I'm scrolling through the lawsuit, and I'm not seeing where Epic is confirming how and where Sykes leaked the info. Item's 51 and 52 is where they start making their allegations against him, but even it admits this is all based on "information and belief"... I'm not meaning to defend the guy at all. But a powerful, wealthy company gets to throw out lawsuits based on beliefs that they can easily afford which this dude might not be able to? Kind of a sucky system of justice, especially if the guy is innocent.

Epic isnt going to disclose that  information  until they are required to. If all they have is a hunch the case will quickly get thrown out of court. I seriously doubt they are going to throw piles of cash and bad publicity on a hunch and the possibility of a counter suit.