Parasite - Oct. 11

Truly superb. Bong is without peer in terms of making severe tonal shifts seem fluid and completely natural. Despite the dips into dark material, this is probably his funniest.

And if we're talking most accessible entry points for him, it's easily Snowpiercer and The Host. He's not particularly "artsy", but those are unquestionably his most approachable on a relative scale.

28 minutes ago, Zeluge said:

Truly superb. Bong is without peer in terms of making severe tonal shifts seem fluid and completely natural. Despite the dips into dark material, this is probably his funniest.

And if we're talking most accessible entry points for him, it's easily Snowpiercer and The Host. He's not particularly "artsy", but those are unquestionably his most approachable on a relative scale.

I agree - they are his most accessible, which is why in my earlier post I made a list of what I thought are his best works. Snowpiercer, The Host, and Okja are Joon-ho Bong making studio films/blockbuster films/films for audiences.

Mother and Memories of Murder are serious business, so they are by their nature less accessible I agree. But they are easily deeper, more emotional films (for me at least).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that was the best movie I've seen in years. To employ my friend's three point review system, in which one point is bad, two points is alright, and three points is an unprecedented masterpiece, this is a three point movie. The only "negative" thing I have to say about the movie is that it made me feel bad in a way that I don't have an easy remedy for.

9 hours ago, Moa said:

Well that was the best movie I've seen in years. To employ my friend's three point review system, in which one point is bad, two points is alright, and three points is an unprecedented masterpiece, this is a three point movie. The only "negative" thing I have to say about the movie is that it made me feel bad in a way that I don't have an easy remedy for.

Yes! I felt so uneasy for days after watching it.

I still think about

Spoiler

Mr. Park describing Ki-Taek's poor-person's smell 

every other day or so.

The signs of a true masterpiece. 

Saw it last night, best movie I have seen all year. i really think Bong is the best director out there right now. If anyone is thinking about going to see it DO NOT spoil anything for yourself and go in as blind as possible, the twists and turns are absolutely sublime. 

• 1 month later...

Really late to the game on this one but was out and about yesterday afternoon with the wife and we decided to watch something and this seem like one of the few I could convince her to watch. We both loved it a lot and spent the rest of the night talking about it. Interesting enough, there was still a solid amount of people in the cinema watching it (at least 60% capacity). 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this because I just rewatched Memories of Murder, on the aforementioned Criterion Collection release (it's also available on Hulu). Personally, I have a hard time deciding which is better, it or Parasite. I think I prefer Parasite, mostly it's so much fun, but from an "objective" craft perspective or whatever, I think they're pretty equal.