Russian arrested in DC for failing to register as a foreign agent.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

From the article: 

In 2017, Butina attended a barbecue at the farm, known as Coosaw Plantation, along with her boyfriend, Paul Erickson, and 300 other guests...

"It's the girlfriend of a guy I've known for 30 years," he said. "She seemed nice enough."

Doesn't seem like there's all that much to see here. The implication of his statement (which of course could be deliberately formulated as to deceptively give this impression) seems to me to be that they haven't had much or any interaction since. Unless it comes out that they were plotting America's downfall in front of 300 guests :p , I'm not sure what this should mean other than that they became acquainted. If it comes out that they've had a lot of contact since, that's something. But I'm not sure what to make of this by itself. 

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

From the article: 

Doesn't seem like there's all that much to see here. The implication of his statement (which of course could be deliberately formulated as to deceptively give this impression) seems to me to be that they haven't had much or any interaction since. Unless it comes out that they were plotting America's downfall in front of 300 guests :p , I'm not sure what this should mean other than that they became acquainted. If it comes out that they've had a lot of contact since, that's something. But I'm not sure what to make of this by itself. 

I think the point is more just "look at how thoroughly Butina was burrowing herself in" and not "Sanford was boinking Butina on the Appalachian Trail."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

From the article: 

Even spies "work hard, play hard".  They need some time to rest and relax every now and then, I suppose.  

You know, the more I think about this story, the more upset I become. For years, I was a counterintelligence agent working for our country, and I eagerly awaited the beautiful Russian spy to seduce me. And she never did. Instead, all I got to deal with were old, Russian dudes and random, unattractive people. I seriously got cheated, and I want a redo.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 10:05 AM, brucoe said:

You know, the more I think about this story, the more upset I become. For years, I was a counterintelligence agent working for our country, and I eagerly awaited the beautiful Russian spy to seduce me. And she never did. Instead, all I got to deal with were old, Russian dudes and random, unattractive people. I seriously got cheated, and I want a redo.

YOU were the honeypot the whole time. 

Taking Notes From Papadopolous: Butina Bragged She Was A Spy When Drunk

According to people who knew her at American University where she attended graduate school, on at least two occasions Butina bragged about her Russian government connections after she had imbibed and even said the Russian government was connected to her Moscow gun rights group. According to CNN, classmates were unnerved by her comments and reported her to law enforcement twice.

Other classmates told CNN that in classes she was a constant defender of Vladimir Putin and claimed that she was a middleman between President Trump’s campaign and the Russian government.

Butina’s drunken admissions parallel those of George Papadopolous, a former Trump campaign official who spilled secrets to Australia’s top diplomat about Russia having dirt on Hillary Clinton while inebriated at a wine bar in Britain. That drunk conversation was what launched the FBI’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.