A Quarter of Humanity Face Looming Water Crisis (actually worthwhile NYT article)

Seventeen nations representing 25% of the human population are currently under extremely high water stress, meaning they are using almost all the water they have. Among these nations are nuclear-armed India and Pakistan.

In those countries are several big, thirsty cities that have faced acute shortages recently, including São Paulo, Brazil; Chennai, India; and Cape Town, which in 2018 narrowly beat what it called Day Zero — the day when all its dams would be dry.

52 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Actually there are both oil wars and water wars that bring the collapse of society in Mad Max. :fedora:

Separately, I've been worrying about water availability for a few years now. I see it begins . . . 

Thankfully North America is flush with fresh water. But it's going to be a massive problem in the middle east, india, much of china and the far east. Russia has lots of fresh water, as well. 

Just now, TheGreatGamble said:

Thankfully North America is flush with fresh water. But it's going to be a massive problem in the middle east, india, much of china and the far east. Russia has lots of fresh water, as well. 

Look at the map.

There are huge sections of North America that are very much at-risk.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Look at the map.

But other parts of the US will be underwater by then so won't it even out from just farming them for water?

21 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Look at the map.

While that's true (mostly in the US), those places at least belong to a political entity that can potentially transport water to those regions. Actually...as a Canadian I worry a bit about future American demands for access to Canadian water.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

While that's true (mostly in the US), those places at least belong to a political entity that can potentially transport water to those regions. Actually...as a Canadian I worry a bit about future American demands for access to Canadian water.

You mean American water, 

latest?cb=20151010184913

• Haha 1