In the market for a new tablet. Suggestions?

So it seems that my Gen 4 iPad I bought in November of 2012 has given out on me. It's been dropping charges rapidly, despite not being used a ton. I've waffled on upgrading for a while, because I don't use it just a ton these days, but the time is finally here.

I need some recommendations. I mostly use my iPad when traveling or watching videos during cooking and at the dinner table. Its biggest use is for streaming video. When I upgrade, I'll probably use it a bit more heavily at first, since it'll be something new. 

Question is, do I go for another iPad or make a switch to something else? I've been in the Apple ecosystem for so long I don't know what Android tablets are out there or how they compare. 

Help me out, good people.

Well, Google themselves have just stopped making Android tablets, so that should tell you the state of that side of things.  

You just can't go wrong with the 9.7" current iPad for $329 IMO. Especially since you're already in the eco system. Or if you want to spend a little more, the iPad Air. 

Another cheaper option is an Amazon Fire HD10 which is a great option for streaming if that's mostly what it's used for at only $149.  It has a weak app selection though. 

6 hours ago, Rbk_3 said:

Well, Google themselves have just stopped making Android tablets, so that should tell you the state of that side of things.  

You just can't go wrong with the 9.7" current iPad for $329 IMO. Especially since you're already in the eco system. Or if you want to spend a little more, the iPad Air. 

Another cheaper option is an Amazon Fire HD10 which is a great option for streaming if that's mostly what it's used for at only $149.  It has a weak app selection though. 

This is probably the best answer. Though you could always check how much it would cost to replace the battery in your current iPad. 

Yeah, I'm thinking iPad, just wanted to see if there were any viable Android options for cheaper. Fire Tablet is out, you can't even get the Youtube app on it.

Amazon has been having the newest iPad on sale for $249, so that's a pretty sweet deal. Since I'm primarily using it for streaming and occasionally few other things, it just seems practical to go with that model and not spend double for the new Air or whatever. 

16 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So it seems that my Gen 4 iPad I bought in November of 2012 has given out on me. It's been dropping charges rapidly, despite not being used a ton. I've waffled on upgrading for a while, because I don't use it just a ton these days, but the time is finally here.

This could be the cause of the bad battery life, especially if you're frequently letting it drain to empty because of infrequent use.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

This could be the cause of the bad battery life, especially if you're frequently letting it drain to empty because of infrequent use.

I don't let it drain to empty. It just started doing this over the last couple weeks. I charged it last week, because it dropped for 14% rather fast while sitting on the table, watched a couple videos during dinner, went to use it last night and it was completely dead. It's never done that before. I've had the thing for 7 years, I know how to use it.

I've purchased a few android tablets in the past and they've always been turned into dead weight into a year or so of use with most just completely dead due to some hardware failure, yet my old 1st gen iPad still runs (although slow now) for past 7yrs.  I also had a 2nd gen iPad Air, but it seems quality took a dump on this one as it quit holding a charge after about 2 and a half yrs.  I currently have the latest iPad that we paid $250 for and it's been pretty solid so far.  I'm not sure how current android tablets are, but my early experience with them have turned me off from them.

The basic iPad is basically impossible to beat unless you get a more expensive iPad. I suppose the fire tablets are worth a look if you only want to stream stuff, but if you want a tablet and not just a portable video player, iPad is basically the only game in town.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The basic iPad is basically impossible to beat unless you get a more expensive iPad. I suppose the fire tablets are worth a look if you only want to stream stuff, but if you want a tablet and not just a portable video player, iPad is basically the only game in town.

I ordered the newest iPad last night. :) Like I said, the Fire Tablet was pretty much a nonstarter for me without Youtube. Plus, I'd owned the original Fire tablet years ago and quickly got rid of it for my iPad because I just wasn't a fan.

I would have liked a bigger screen, but the crazy jump in price just wasn't worth it, considering what my main goal is for it.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I ordered the newest iPad last night. :) Like I said, the Fire Tablet was pretty much a nonstarter for me without Youtube. Plus, I'd owned the original Fire tablet years ago and quickly got rid of it for my iPad because I just wasn't a fan.

I would have liked a bigger screen, but the crazy jump in price just wasn't worth it, considering what my main goal is for it.

You're probably better off with the iPad either way but it's not terribly hard to sideload the Google apps onto devices that don't normally have Google Play services (no root required).