The WHO have declared Gaming Disorder is a disease

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gaming-disorder-is-a-disease-world-health-organiza/1100-6467163/?ftag=NLS-04-10aaa1d

The World Health Organization, the public health division of the United Nations, has officially added "gaming disorder" to its registry of officially recognized diseases. This happened over the weekend when the WHO officially adopted the 11th revision of its International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-11). All 194 members of the WHO voted unanimously to adopt the revision.

According to the WHO, "gaming disorder" is characterized by a "pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behaviour" online or offline. The official description goes on to say that gaming disorders can include the following: "1) impaired control over gaming (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context); 2) increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and 3) continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences."

People who are deemed to have the "gaming disorder" run the risk of "significant impairment" to their personal, family, social, education, and occupational lives, according to the WHO. The description goes on to say that "gaming disorder" can be a continuous condition or it can be episodic in nature. For it to be suggested that a person has "gaming disorder," they would display these behaviour patterns for a year or longer.

The "gaming disorder" disease will become officially recognized by the WHO on January 1, 2022. According to GI.biz, the WHO came to its conclusion based on consultations with experts from a variety of backgrounds.

I guess my response is mostly :shrug:

Some people kill themselves over outcomes in games, so clearly some people take it to extremes. I suppose my only concern is if they start aggressively labeling people who play a lot of games as having a disorder. Some people play sports so often that they make it their career. Clearly sports dominate their life. Do they have a disorder, or is it "okay" purely because we reward it as a society for our own amusement?