New Pokemon games

Anyone watch the Nintendo direct for Pokemon Sword/Shield? I'm excited to pick this up and play through. Haven't really played anything since Diamond, although I started Pokemon Y (earned only 1 badge) but never picked it up again ever since someone stole my 3DS back then.

6 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

Anyone watch the Nintendo direct for Pokemon Sword/Shield? I'm excited to pick this up and play through. Haven't really played anything since Diamond, although I started Pokemon Y (earned only 1 badge) but never picked it up again ever since someone stole my 3DS back then.

I would like to get a Switch if i ever have enough spare cash to buy one.

4 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

I still don't understand how fans are not outraged that Nintendo is still milking the audience with multiple versions of the same game and then tell you to catch them all.

Name another game that releases this way?

They do add a new story and new Pokemon per game. You just gotta get em all man!

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

They do add a new story and new Pokemon per game. You just gotta get em all man!

Really the story is that much different? I know they each have a couple of different pokemon they say they want you to trade with your friends. But the story can't be that different it is not like those two GameBoy Zelda games. Those where two separate games.

30 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

That would be amazingly AWESOME of you!

No problem. The fan is a bit noisy for some reason but it works perfectly fine. Let’s hope the Pro is announced this e3 so I can get it to you soon. 

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

I still don't understand how fans are not outraged that Nintendo is still milking the audience with multiple versions of the same game and then tell you to catch them all.

Name another game that releases this way?

Yokai Watch for one. I feel like there's something else that does this, but I'm drawing a blank.

I usually end up getting both games, but only actually play one. I let my husband mess with the other, though he never gets round to beating them.

43 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Call of Duty? Every sports game ever? Most fighting games?

What? Those games have multiple "versions" like digital deluxe or whatever, but you're not buying two versions of Call of Duty that have 90% of the content, with the last 10% split between them. Fighting games kind of do this, but usually years after release, they don't launch two "real" (i.e. starter packs are different) versions where you can never have the true game.

25 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

What? Those games have multiple "versions" like digital deluxe or whatever, but you're not buying two versions of Call of Duty that have 90% of the content, with the last 10% split between them. Fighting games kind of do this, but usually years after release, they don't launch two "real" (i.e. starter packs are different) versions where you can never have the true game.

These games are meant for trading. Even if you did, for whatever reason, felt like buying both games, you still wouldn't get your hands on every Pokemon because some only evolve during trades.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

These games are meant for trading. Even if you did, for whatever reason, felt like buying both games, you still wouldn't get your hands on every Pokemon because some only evolve during trades.

You say that, but I feel they've never gone far enough. It's always like 10 exclusive Pokemon to one version, out of 12.3 billion. Just enough to make your eyelids twitch.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You say that, but I feel they've never gone far enough. It's always like 10 exclusive Pokemon to one version, out of 12.3 billion. Just enough to make your eyelids twitch.

That's your gamer OCD talking now. 10/12,300,000,000 isn't enough to justify getting both editions. Doubly so when having both games will still leave you short 2/12,300,000,000. That is, unless you also own two consoles to trade Pokemon with yourself. At that point, it's almost as expensive as an EA game.

I don't have gamer OCD, and I've never bought both copies or completed a single Pokedex! What I meant was that they design it to be just enough so that OCD people can't finish their Pokedex without trading, but don't make enough content exclusive to either version to really justify having two versions or trading to begin with. Especially not with the Pokemon Bank and being able to bring in your easy-as-shit Pokemon captures from Pokemon Go. At this point it seems more like a relic than an actual feature with tangible benefits.

51 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I misunderstood and thought he meant like X & Y vs Sword & Shield, but now realize he means like Sword vs Shield. :p 

The argument is still odd because now, with online support, getting all the pokemon isn’t an issue.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I misunderstood and thought he meant like X & Y vs Sword & Shield, but now realize he means like Sword vs Shield. :p 

The argument is still odd because now, with online support, getting all the pokemon isn’t an issue.

That makes two versions even dumber!

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

But you can trade even if there's only one version! Rare Pokemon, unique Pokemon, make-a-choice Pokemon, legendary Pokemon, shinies, IVs, EVs, TVs, CVs, RVs, etc!

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Nah, it encourages an active online trading community. Also, wonder trading is the greatest thing :sun: 

*by having two versions and needing to trade to get everything.

13 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

No problem. The fan is a bit noisy for some reason but it works perfectly fine. Let’s hope the Pro is announced this e3 so I can get it to you soon. 

It might not even be a better version. It sounds like it could be a Switch light that is only portable so no dock and has a lower price. It might have a better battery life and improved screen though.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/nintendo/276738/nintendo-release-new-version-switch-2019

48 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

It might not even be a better version. It sounds like it could be a Switch light that is only portable so no dock and has a lower price. It might have a better battery life and improved screen though.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/nintendo/276738/nintendo-release-new-version-switch-2019

If it’s like this, I’ll buy it. 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/random_we_really_hope_the_new_nintendo_switch_looks_like_this

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If they released something like that at a lower price point i would buy one also. I would mostly be playing it at work anyways so a better battery would be nice. :pray:

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Call of Duty? Every sports game ever? Most fighting games?

Wait not so. There are not two call of duty games released at the same time. Nor two madden games releases same time each with slightly different roster.

21 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

But you can trade even if there's only one version! Rare Pokemon, unique Pokemon, make-a-choice Pokemon, legendary Pokemon, shinies, IVs, EVs, TVs, CVs, RVs, etc!

I'd be cool with Game Freak switching to a single game that randomly selects a few Pokemon that you'll never be able to get with your copy of the game. That said, the mechanism was never meant to get people to buy multiple copies of the game. It was always about getting kids to treat Pokemon like trading cards.