Chernobylite (first person, survival horror set in Chernobyl Exclusion Zone), update: "Next-Gen and Enhanced Edition Trailer"

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

First reviews:

NxTUMHqegGwYzReJnXMib3-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Chernobylite is a rare game that makes you feel the weight of your decisions.

Maybe Chernobylite latches onto these recognisable tropes because its greatest strengths aren't easily conveyed through trailers or genre tags. Its cast of characters and its choice system are genuinely gripping, while its depiction of the zone is at times breathtaking (if a little postcardy and non-interactive). Like its motley crew of eccentric companions, Chernobylite is a flawed misfit that I can't help but like. With its sometimes scatty systems, ambition and silly sci-fi story, it could even join the pantheon of Eurojank classics—unless there's a rule against Eurojank games looking this good.

chernobylite-header.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Chernobylite's hardly horror, but it's a solid RPG with base-building, management, and survival elements that balance nicely to form a fun roguelite loop.

Where Chernobylite really shines, though, is in its heist, which I guarantee does not feel like a descent into an irradiated supermarket. Those decisions I mentioned earlier? Well, this is where all of them, small or not, suddenly catch up with you. Information you've gathered, people you've helped or hindered, all of these things come into play in that final leg. And what a strapping leg it is, rippling with muscle and mystery. Oh, and there are even more decisions to make that'll drastically alter how the finale plays out.

I won't spoil any of those climatic moments, but Chernobylite's a genuinely good time, folks. The ease of the crafting and the management side of things might lack depth for some, but it does give you a constant sense of satisfaction as you bring goodies back to base and watch it grow. Similarly, the simplicity of its party management ensures balancing their needs doesn't detract from the fun roguelite loop it's got going on. The Chernobyl wilderness might be distinctly "bad vibes" here, but Chernobylite the game gets a big, irradiated thumbs up.

Chernobylite-review-pc-.jpg
WWW.PCINVASION.COM

Here's our Chernobylite review to let you know if this sci-fi survival horror game is worthwhile. It leaves Steam Early Access tomorrow.

Chernobylite tries too many things at once. The blending of various concepts from other genres works until the narrative arc and gameplay get bogged down. Still, The Farm 51 did a great job at depicting Pripyat and the surrounding areas. The overall effort remains commendable, even if it’s a little rough around the edges.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Chernobylite: a first person, survival horror set in Chernobyl Exclusion Zone - first reviews posted
On 2/7/2019 at 8:32 AM, Pikachu said:

Could be a good alternative to Metro for Steam only users. 

I bought Metro Exodus recently after hearing it was pretty good, and...it was not. I refunded after playing the first hour, which was effectively a movie on rails. I know the game apparently gets better, but I can't stand those types of games where you effectively just follow the plot word for word and have no real exploration control, it's just a glorified cutscene.

• Guillotine 1

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I bought Metro Exodus recently after hearing it was pretty good, and...it was not. I refunded after playing the first hour, which was effectively a movie on rails. I know the game apparently gets better, but I can't stand those types of games where you effectively just follow the plot word for word and have no real exploration control, it's just a glorified cutscene.

I know someone who got a refund on it because he got motion sickness playing it and there is no FOV slider.

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I know someone who got a refund on it because he got motion sickness playing it and there is no FOV slider.

Yeah I had to edit an .ini file to increase the POV...but even then, it was claustrophobic, and the gun model looked stupid. At this point I am pretty much writing off almost any game developed first for console, especially shooters. If you can't even include FOV sliders, then I am not supporting you.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah I had to edit an .ini file to increase the POV...but even then, it was claustrophobic, and the gun model looked stupid. At this point I am pretty much writing off almost any game developed first for console, especially shooters. If you can't even include FOV sliders, then I am not supporting you.

Well when it was on Epic no one complained!

Game Information

Game Title: Chernobylite

Platforms:

• PC (Jul 28, 2021)

Developer: The Farm 51

Publisher: The Farm 51

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 77 average - 61% recommended

Critic Reviews

PPE.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

Chernobylite is a pass for The Farm 51, allowing the home team to enter the major leagues. The post-apocalyptic title taking us to the exclusion zone is unique and given the low price, it is the responsibility of every game fan to read Igor's story.

TheGamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

Chernobylite is special. If you enjoy RPGs that feature things like crafting, base building, team management, and heists, the ambitious Chernobylite is one that you won’t want to miss.

AusGamers - 8.5 / 10

It gets a lot weirder from there.

WellPlayed - 8.5 / 10

Chernobylite weaves together a strong narrative, compelling characters and highly detailed environments to deliver a glowing (pun intended) entry into the sci-fi survival horror RPG genre.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8 / 10

Chernobylite is a title in some ways surprising: born from a small - but very talented - Independent Polish studio (those The Farm 51 already authors of Get Even) the work mixes in an inseparable whole different videogame genres. A horror / sci-fi narrative, not original but intriguing, role-playing elements, survival mechanics, a deep and layered crafting, a typical action of a first-person shooter and a micro management mechanic that perhaps invalidates a little too much the ambitious bet of the development team.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

In case someone was disappointed by the lack of freedom in The Medium, let it be known that Chernobylite brings much more leeway in terms of gameplay, while offering equally pretty graphics and dark atmosphere. Until the second S.T.A.L.K.E.R. arrives, there is no better game for visiting Chernobyl.

GameWatcher - 8 / 10

If you love the atmosphere of Eastern European survival games but hate the jank, Chernobylite is for you. Its cycle of scavenging and questing is addicting, and its characters are fun to meet. But that also means it becomes too easy once you get a feel for the controls and mechanics. Add that with a story that isn't scary, and you have a flawed game with an engaging core. It held my attention during its full runtime, and I can't say that for a lot of games.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Chernobylite offers a deep survival game experience that offers elements of sci-fi, horror and RPG. It's hard to call this a survival horror title, but all the management aspects and the branching storylines will provide fans of the survival genre plenty to enjoy.

Niche Gamer - 8 / 10

While I found a lot of the main mission uninspired and level design unpolished; Chernobylite’s dialog, choices, and the act of exploring when not just following a quest marker to be quite fun. While I wouldn’t call it the Stalker spiritual successor some might have been hoping for, it manages to be it’s own thing and for that I can respect it.

Noisy Pixel - 8 / 10

Chernobylite is a unique approach to the world and aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster. The narrative is so compelling that it keeps your eyes glued to the screen, and the level of detail is absolutely mesmerizing. Though it does get bogged down with mundanity and repetition, the moments of interest outweigh the moments of boredom. If you want an immersive experience with an intricate plot, Chernobylite makes a good case for itself.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

Interesting radioactive survival game with less atractive missions, but good base and team management.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5 stars

Chernobylite's mixed collection of gameplay styles comes together beautifully. The narrative is engaging, the world is atmospheric, combat is solid , and the base building is decent. It may not be a STALKER game, and it's eclectic collection of elements are integrated with varying degrees of success, but Chernobylite offers a worthy replacement, full of its own charms and quirks that will allow it to stand on its own two feet.

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

Chernobylite's great survival horror gameplay, top-notch atmosphere, and excellent audiovisual presentation make it a must-play title for any fan of games like STALKER.

New Game Network - 79 / 100

Chernobylite combines a multifaceted narrative with stunning, atmospheric levels that repopulate with fantastic points of interest. Players can sneak or shoot their way around the faithfully recreated Zone and see the modest ripple effects of story choices they can alter following each death.

PC Gamer - 78 / 100

An ambitious and atmospheric adventure undercut by some simplistic mechanics.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Chernobylite is an interesting game, full of interesting ideas and with a good amount of content to offer; unless you go straight for the ending, it will entertain you for a good twenty hours. It's not perfect: the AI isn't brilliant, the horror atmosphere isn't quite there, and there's some repetetiveness. But if you're looking for something to satiate your hunger for trips in the Exclusion Zone, Chernobylite is a solid choice.

God is a Geek - 7.5 / 10

Fans of hardcore survival games might find Chernobylite a little too easy-going, while horror aficionados may not be horrified enough. But if you're looking for a more balanced experience with a compelling world and a lot of varied mechanics, Chernobylite is well worth investigating.

PC Invasion - 7.5 / 10

With a combination of multiple features and mechanics from different genres, as well as a setting that's steeped in mystery, Chernobylite attempts to be the jack-of-all-trades. Unfortunately, a mediocre combat system, repetitive mission structure, and dull gameplay loop lead to questionable results.

Softpedia - 7.5 / 10

There are rough edges but I expect all of them will be solved via patches. The Farm 51 has created an atmospheric and challenging game that mixes plenty of inspirations in a cool new way. More variety in terms of locations and more options for combat would have made Chernobylite an instant classic.

WayTooManyGames - 7.5 / 10

Chernobylite is a wonderfully unique game with multiple gameplay elements that make it stand out rather than being dumped as just another post-apocalyptic survival game.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.4 / 10

Chernobylite mixes up different genres and tells a compelling spy-story tied to the infamous Chernobyl disaster. However, It needs a post-launch balancement and less repetitive missions.

But Why Tho? - 7 / 10

Chernobylite is a solid package for any player looking for an original survival FPS with a lot of heart in it. The story is sufficient, but the game will really satisfy players who are looking for a difficult experience without holding their hand too much. For players looking for much more than just the gameplay, however, they may be left wanting.

COGconnected - 70 / 100

Chernobylite certainly has ambitions beyond being a rote shooter and although not everything meshes and the gears of its systems sometimes grind, the setting feels authentically haunted and foreboding. There’s a lot going on in Chernobylite, and sometimes the melancholic love story at the center gets buried under unnecessary game play complications, tepid combat or shifts of tone. In other words, it’s all still a bit messy but interesting and worth playing for shooter, RPG or horror fans, especially those fascinated by this particular moment in modern history.

GameMAG - Russian - 7 / 10

Chernobylite is not gonna make up for the lack of the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game in your life, but even so it's a good enough title to dive into before the release of the next GSC Game World project.

Gamer Escape - 7 / 10

This is a slower, more painful, and in many ways more failure-prone sort of game. But for players who enjoy the option of a slower ludonarrative and want to experience a build through this difficult situation, stalking the wreckage of the exclusion zone is going to be a lot of fun. If you’re willing to be patient and survival-minded, you’ll find a lot to enjoy here in Chernobylite.

Jump Dash Roll - 7 / 10

If you're expecting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you'll be disappointed, but if you're jonesing for some forbidden zone action then Chernobylite is worth your time.

TechRaptor - 7 / 10

Chernobylite is nearly impossible to put in a specific genre and it feels generally unpolished, but the sheer amount of fun and excitement that it provides makes the game more than worth playing.

Bazimag - Persian - 6.6 / 10

Chernobylite has many problems in its various parts, one of the most important of them is how monotonous the narative gets. This had good potential on paper but many big and small glaring shortcomings has made it not enough of an enjoyable experience. It is possible that avid fans of Eastern European titles will be able to fully connect with the game but it has pretty strong competitors in this particular style.

Checkpoint Gaming - 6 / 10

Have you ever played a game that has so many intriguing ideas that are begging to work but never quite reach that level? Chernobylite is that game for me. Never boring but never keeping me on the edge of my seat. Most of my investment here lies in the potential it shares. Donning your gear and risking your life for precious rarities may very well be worth it if you’re part of the hardcore survival fanbase and waiting on something new. If not, bunkering down and steering clear could undoubtedly do you good.

GameSkinny - 6 / 10 stars

Chernobylite is one of the most inconsistent games I can recall ever playing, with fantastic highs and frustrating lows, leading to someplace in between.

IGN Italy - Italian - 6 / 10

A game with some interesting ideas and concepts, that sometimes manage to provide meaningful content to the players but are too often obscure by the deeply repetitive nature of gameplay and quest design.

RPGamer - 3 / 5

As an RPG it’s a fairly light endeavor, but the workmanlike quality and some cool decisions will do enough to keep plenty interested throughout its whole runtime.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Slight repetition can't diminish the incredible atmoshpere of Farm 51's post-apocalyptic survival game.

GameSpew - Unscored

Our only concern with Chernobylite so far is the game’s structure – going on small missions each game day in the same locations may eventually become a little repetitive. Oh, and the English voice acting isn’t very good – you’re better off sticking with the default Russian with English subtitles. Other than that though, we’ve been fairly engrossed by its mix of horror, action, survival, base building and team management. Its 3D scanned recreation of Chernobyl’s exclusion zone looks absolutely gorgeous, too, being picturesque yet also haunting. Check back later for our final verdict on the game once we’ve seen our journey through to its end.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Chernobylite: a first person, survival horror set in Chernobyl Exclusion Zone - reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 8 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Chernobylite (first person, survival horror set in Chernobyl Exclusion Zone), update: "Next-Gen and Enhanced Edition Trailer"
Just now, stepee said:

I missed this one on my radar, looks kind of interesting. Anyone play it?

I have sir! It patch work of very professional efforts and armature ones.  The graphics are undeniably good as is the atmosphere of the game but the character animations and acting are...acceptable. Fortunately the game play is solid and it has a story to tell, warts and all. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I have sir! It patch work of very professional efforts and armature ones.  The graphics are undeniably good as is the atmosphere of the game but the character animations and acting are...acceptable. Fortunately the game play is solid and it has a story to tell, warts and all. 

Overall does the story hook you? About how long?

SeNYNuJZTxcESUiprcCnbh-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

The devs behind Chernobylite on how they are pushing new-gen boundaries in the virtual exclusion zone

Despite its sci-fi RPG trappings, Chernobylite feels real. Every barren landscape, vast grey sky, and mortar-shelled building somehow feels familiar. And while this is partly owed to real-world Chornobyl's myriad guises in TV and film over the last 36 years – and, sadly, in reality amid Russia's ongoing invasion of Ukraine – it's also a direct result of state-of-the-art 3D scanning on-location in the Exclusion Zone. Developer The Farm 51 has spent years capturing Chornobyl in real life, you see, and whereas video games often strive for realism through an artistic lens, Chernobylite aims to recreate a gamified 1:1 scale setting, where the setting itself is as much the star of the show as its cast of fictional characters. 

Released on PC in July last year, and then on PS4 and Xbox One consoles in September, The Farm 51 is now on the cusp of launching Chernobylite on PS5 and Xbox Series X. In doing so, the developer is pushing the capabilities of the latest tech to great effect. "We already believe Chernobylite looks fantastic on last-gen consoles, but it's been a great experience making it look even better on PS5 and Xbox Series X," says All In! Games producer Kuba Karolczak, the publisher who has helped bring Chernobylite to current-gen hardware. "We definitely had some fun with my favourite star of this generation, which is the PS5's DualSense controller."

• Ukraine 1