The best board games in 2019 (PC Gamer)

Commissar SFLUFAN

7 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Oh I didn't realize Betryal at Hill House was such a relatively short game.  It's always sitting next to the Arkham Horror games so I assumed it was a 120+ min type thing.  Def gonna pick that up at Pax this year.

Yeah, depending on which scenario you end up getting, a play-through can be pretty short.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, dualhunter said:

One surprise is that Pandemic is one of the 2 games on the list with a Hard difficulty rating (the - suggests that it's the harder of the 2) but it has the lowest recommended age (8+, though according to Amazon, the manufacturer recommends 13-15).

I interpreted hard as in hard to win, not hard to understand. It seemed like they used 'complexity' to explain the later.

11 hours ago, mikechorney said:

My son and I are really enjoying Xwing -- but it takes a LOT longer than that to play.

If you’ve got your kit and you know all the ship rules, you can get it done in 45 min. Been a while, but I think that’s the time they use in tourneys.

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

If you’ve got your kit and you know all the ship rules, you can get it done in 45 min. Been a while, but I think that’s the time they use in tourneys.

Out of curiosity, I just googled the X-Wing tournament rules.  Standard is 75 minutes (although TO's are free to set the game at 60 or 90 minutes).

I have no doubt that you're right and it "could" be done in 30-45 minutes -- but you have to be going REALLY fast.  I think most novices will be in the range of 2 hours for their first few games.

9 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Out of curiosity, I just googled the X-Wing tournament rules.  Standard is 75 minutes (although TO's are free to set the game at 60 or 90 minutes).

I have no doubt that you're right and it "could" be done in 30-45 minutes -- but you have to be going REALLY fast.  I think most novices will be in the range of 2 hours for their first few games.

Ah maybe I was thinking of 1st edition rules? Or maybe I don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about. :p