~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Keyser_Soze

General Gaming WarGroove - (Advance Wars-like from Chucklefish) Coming to a Platform Near You Starting Feb 1 - Featuring Cross-play

Chucklefish, the fine developer's who brought you Starbound are bringing out a game that looks a lot like Advance Wars. This is coming to all platforms, PS4 at a later date, on February 1st.

Looks like in addition to single player it has co-op, multiplayer and a campaign editor. Developer also said it will have cross-play with all the platforms as well.

Gameplay trailer:

I just finished that PCGamesN review and thought it was kind of odd. He says it’s like Advance Wars, maybe better, but since battles are long and you can lose he gives it a fairly mediocre score. 😕

I loved Advance Wars way back when; if a couple people here get it and have favorable impressions I'd be pretty easy to convince to buy it. :p 

1 hour ago, JosephManderley said:

I will probably get this over the weekend, anyone else in?

Me!

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I just finished that PCGamesN review and thought it was kind of odd. He says it’s like Advance Wars, maybe better, but since battles are long and you can lose he gives it a fairly mediocre score. 😕

I dunno, this seemed pretty clear to me:

The scrum speaks to a larger problem with Wargroove, which is that RTS mechanics transposed to turn-based strategy – however simply – inevitably take far longer to play out. Matches can easily top an hour, which is fine if you’re winning, but can also lead to eventual defeats by a thousand cute cuts. Worse, the death of your general means instant defeat. For the most part this is a neat, chess-like design touch – but coupled with levels that introduce fog of war, it can lead to late-game ambushes that snatch victory away.

Losing an hour-long match that you lose thanks to some random shit coming out of the fog of war sounds like enough to make me hesitate on buying this if true. That's a long ass match to lose to some bullshit.

I'm happy to see that if Nintedo doesn't want to make the games someone else will.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Losing an hour-long match that you lose thanks to some random shit coming out of the fog of war sounds like enough to make me hesitate on buying this if true. That's a long ass match to lose to some bullshit.

It seems pretty clear that he was frustrated with the game but gave a salty score. I think the RPS review is similar but in the end they said it is enjoyable.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/30/wargroove-review/

I mean to say this game is as good as all advance wars games but I suck so I give it a low score is somewhat rotten.

I played the first 3 battles, which are kinda tutorials. The 3rd one was pretty challenging but I ended up winning. There are difficulty sliders so if the default difficulty is not to your liking you can turn them down.

The game looks really good, I think some great pixel art. The voice acting kinda reminds me of something from Disgaea, not a bad thing, just kind of  how it's throwing out quips here and there. :p

I'll probably play it more.

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I played the first 3 battles, which are kinda tutorials. The 3rd one was pretty challenging but I ended up winning. There are difficulty sliders so if the default difficulty is not to your liking you can turn them down.

The game looks really good, I think some great pixel art. The voice acting kinda reminds me of something from Disgaea, not a bad thing, just kind of  how it's throwing out quips here and there. :p

I'll probably play it more.

I am having a similar experience, 4 stages in and enjoying it.  The game is slowly introducing units and mechanics, which is fine, but I am looking forward to getting into the 'meat' of the game.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:28 PM, Xbob42 said:

I kind of like that element of tactical danger... not too different from getting your base captured in advance wars due to poor defending... (or your CO dying in Days of Ruin).. to each his own i suppose

6 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

I kind of like that element of tactical danger... not too different from getting your base captured in advance wars due to poor defending... (or your CO dying in Days of Ruin).. to each his own i suppose

Sure, but my bigger worry in games like this is that if I lose an hour of progress, redoing that fight won't feel much different, unlike, say, playing against a human opponent. There can be a real risk of things getting tedious.

I watched a few more videos of this and it looked like fun. I picked it up. :blush:

I dislike that the AI can move out of the fog of war and attack on the same turn especially since I am not allowed to do so. Besides that, I am enjoying the game so far. 

Been so busy with work that I have hardly touched this all week.  I will make up for it this evening with an hour or two I think!

Has anyone played online yet?  How is it?