Is PSVR worth it for 3 must play games?

Bjomesphat

So I've used the Oculus Rift a few times, and while I enjoy it, it's not something I feel like I'm missing. However, after getting Tetris Effect I really want to play that in VR. Of course spending $200 on a feature for a game is crazy, so I'm trying to determine if it's truly worth it to invest in VR for a handful of games I do want to play.

So the must haves are Tetris Effect, Astro Bot, and REVII. Other games I don't feel the need to play, but would enjoy playing are Moss, Beat Saber, Superhot, and REZ. And that's pretty much it. Keep in mind I only have the OG PS4. And personally, I don't think this current iteration of PSVR is going to last much longer before it's either abandoned, or they come out with another one. It's now or never since there's really good sales now, but I'm leaning towards no. In the end, it would really be for those first 3 games, the others are just a bonus and for the novelty factor (not to mention I think I might need the Move controllers for some of those).

So convince me one way or another. Alternatively, if anyone is selling their's because the novelty has worn off, I'd consider that as well.

If the eventual >$300 investment is something you can not worry about losing, then I think it is worth it.  It's a great experience for yourself and if you ever have people over it's a great experience for first time VR users as well.  The move controllers will be necessary to get the full experience, and Superhot and Beat Saber require them.  I am playing the VR on a base PS4 and it's perfectly fine.  Once you let yourself just enjoy the experience you easily overlook the graphics.

But if you're really concerned about the value proposition, then I would have to say the value isn't quite there yet.  There's tons of room for improvement as far as the gameplay mechanics go,  the controller options and GPU horsepower are the limiting factors that won't be fixed until the PS5.  

What I appreciate most is the depth of field.  When playing 3D games on a 2D screen quite often I am bad at judging distance.  But the headset turning the world into viewable 3D makes this quite intuitive.  It feels natural and less frustrating, particularly if you're trying to aim projectile-based (non-hitscan) weapons.  And in a game like Astro Bot, where you navigate your character Mario-Galaxy-style, it just feels really satisfying to engage in the platform mechanics.  It's like you really nailed that jump as if you were there.

I enjoy PSVR. I still have more games I want to buy for it. They have been pretty good on support. Borderlands 2 VR just came out. I never think about how many games I will get for a console while it is still active. Only retro consoles do I think about ti when the library is pretty much done.  Also WipeOut is great in VR and I like playing the Star Wars Balltefront VR mission. I have been wanting to pickup the Rick and Morty VR game.

13 hours ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I'm still enjoying my PSVR and I played Tetris Effect today for the first time in VR. Wow. It's a little hard to pay attention to the goal of playing Tetris while the VR effects are so amazingly distracting, lol.

It's such an amazing game just to zone out and relax to. If it wasn't for Tetris, PSVR wouldn't even cross my mind. But I really want to at least try it out.

47 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

It's such an amazing game just to zone out and relax to. If it wasn't for Tetris, PSVR wouldn't even cross my mind. But I really want to at least try it out.

After I finish with RDR2 and jump into my new PSVR, I will play Astro Bot and answer this question. :p 

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

The setup is really easy all the cords are numbered. It is really just the camera the HDMI and USB to the box. I wouldn't let setup get in the way.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Compared to the Vive I own, setup is a breeze. Took me all of 10 minutes to do. 

Ok well that alleviates some worry

I just played one level of Astro Bot.

Fucking awesome. I heard so much hype and was prepared to not be floored, by I was floored. There's something about the reactions the robot gives you if it sees you looking at it, being able to look all around you and find secret coins, that was so new, fresh and different. And the music was catchy! I hear much of the soundtrack is.

I'm going to sleep soon because I have an early shift tomorrow but I can't wait to play more of this when I get off work.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 1:46 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Compared to the Vive I own, setup is a breeze. Took me all of 10 minutes to do. 

Having set it up, it took me a bit longer, but there's nothing complicated; it's just plugging things in. The hardest thing I think was finding the best place to put the camera.

I'd suggest to any new PSVR owners to make sure, for the HDMI cables, you put them exactly where the manual says to put them. There are two HDMI slots, but each one has a different purpose, so connect it where the manual tells you to and setup should be 10 minutes.

16 hours ago, TheLeon said:

@Bjomesphat I could sell you mine. I really want to like VR, but I don't think my brain can handle it. 10 minutes of any game and I'm feeling nauseous. I've got the Skyrim bundle and Astro Bot.  

I was actually about to write this off as I just couldn't justify the price for only a few games (a year ago sure, but after having twins, it's either lavish gaming habits or diapers.... lots of diapers).

So did you have a price in mind? It sounds like yours is barely used, I don't want to low-ball you if it's worth more than my budget. And I've played enough Skyrim that I don't think I would ever play it in VR.

18 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I was actually about to write this off as I just couldn't justify the price for only a few games (a year ago sure, but after having twins, it's either lavish gaming habits or diapers.... lots of diapers).

So did you have a price in mind? It sounds like yours is barely used, I don't want to low-ball you if it's worth more than my budget. And I've played enough Skyrim that I don't think I would ever play it in VR.

I got a great deal on the bundle originally, so I could part with it all for about $150 (plus maybe a little extra for shipping, no idea how much that would be). That's the headset, camera, move controllers, VR Worlds and Astro Bot (we'll call Skyrim a bonus novelty). 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I got a great deal on the bundle originally, so I could part with it all for about $150 (plus maybe a little extra for shipping, no idea how much that would be). That's the headset, camera, move controllers, VR Worlds and Astro Bot (we'll call Skyrim a bonus novelty). 

Dang, ok this is going to be a tough decision. Ok, I'll have to build my case and present to my wife. You think Astrobot is a wife/gf type of game?

34 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah she basically like platformers, Mario Kart, and adventure games.

Can you watch the other player on the TV screen while they're playing?

Yup! But you'll have to watch muted. I mean, you CAN have the TV volume on, but there will be a bit of an echo.

EDIT: Also, the earphones don't look like much, but they actually deliver a really good sound.

4 hours ago, Zarich said:

How bad is the motion sickness component.  My wife got me one for Christmas, but I am thinking of returning it because I don't know if I would use it enough and I tend to get motion sick on roller coasters.  

I've experienced none. Might just depend on the person; they do have a warning when you boot up a game, but I've been A-OK.

4 hours ago, Zarich said:

How bad is the motion sickness component.  My wife got me one for Christmas, but I am thinking of returning it because I don't know if I would use it enough and I tend to get motion sick on roller coasters.  

Everyone says you can build your tolerance up by playing short sessions. I think games like Moss and Astrobot will be fine. I would avoid FPS like Until Dawn VR