Official Destiny 2 Thread - Blad's Best Friend Club, update: significant layoffs hit Bungie, including composer Michael Salvatori

NeoJoe

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The recent Game Pass addition has me tempted to get into Destiny 2. But man, this game just sounds like a lot of work lol.

There is a lot you can do in Destiny, but one thing I like about it is that there isn't much actual content locked behind a terrible grind. Certain weapons and titles and stuff require a ton of work, but just getting to see all the strikes and dungeons and even the raidsĀ isn't very grindy at all.

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The recent Game Pass addition has me tempted to get into Destiny 2. But man, this game just sounds like a lot of work lol.

Iā€™d say the gameā€™s biggest issue in this isnā€™t the work needed to put in. Itā€™s that for newer and returning players who may have stopped after year one, the game doesnā€™t explain enough of its mechanics and systems.Ā 
Ā 

As a new player you unlock locations by gaining experience and increasing in lvl, not doing any story. Campaigns are optional. Then once you hit the level cap you still gain experience, but that just goes towards your season rank. Your Power Level (gear score) is now what matters. Many activities have a low enough power level requirement that even starting out you can do those activities.Ā 
Ā 

what can frustrate players is there are public events/activities that are meant for higher power players, so while you can participate at power 750(the starting power level) the enemies are 960-1040. SoĀ they will easily 1-shot a lower power player.Ā 
Ā 

You get gear from random drops and engrams. How high the power level of the gear/engram is depends on difficulty of the activity.Ā 
Ā 

engrams come in several flavors.Ā 
Powerful - will be at least 1 power level higher than your overall power, until soft cap is reached.Ā 
Pinnacle - will be 3 power level higher than your overall power until you reach the soft cap, then they are 1 power higher until you reach the hard cap.Ā 
Prime - will be 3 power level higher until you reach soft cap.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

then there are all the different currencies/materialsĀ and ways of infusing to increase the power level of items.Ā 
Ā 

the game is designed around repeating activities. There are bounties and weekly challenges that help to incentivize it. But the way the game seems to break people in it is almost like they need a veteran player to help show them around.Ā 

On 8/26/2020 at 12:37 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Iā€™m looking forward to Destiny coming to Gamepass in September and Beyond Light in November. It means my friends are coming back to the game, and the player base will see a boom.Ā 
Ā 

also, here is something interesting about the DCV (Destiny Content Vault). I hope itā€™s true.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'll be trying to get into this when it comes to GP, though I'll be starting from the bottom but if there is a group here maybe I can get in on it.Ā 

Iā€™ve got two friends getting back into D2 due to it coming to Gamepass with all content. They were my fireteam m through D1 and year 1 of D2. But they stopped playing. So this will be a reintroduction for them. Many new systems from how it used to be.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m far from the bestest PVE player, but I can help guide any new or returning Guardians. For those on Xbox you can hit me up. If Iā€™m not in a full fire team with my buds I can try helping you out.Ā 

I also get that weird objective marker there. No clue what the deal is.

Ā 

It also reminds me how much I hate that there's not flashlight button in this game. Would it really be that taxing to be able to turn on a flashlight when you want to? Especially given Bungie's penchant for hiding things in this game it really should be a thing.

38 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I wasn't even sure how to get in that room.

There is a quest tied to it. I think that location is bugged in that you can see the marker, but not interact with it if you are not on that step of the quest. at least that what happened for me.Ā 
Ā 

there is a hard to see are of a vent you can jump over to and climb under to get to it.Ā 
Ā 

I donā€™t remember what the quest was.Ā 
Ā 

edit: @RemarkableriotsĀ @TwinIon

I remembered, and looked it up to confirm. It is a in the Mars portion of the quest steps to unlock the exotic side arm, Travelerā€™s Chosen.Ā 

11 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

The Whisper dungeon was a pain in the ass trying to get those Savathun's eyes but i got it done! I never knew what to do in that dungeon.

Yeah, I hate ā€œjumping puzzlesā€ in Destiny and suck at them. When there is a time limit Iā€™m not any better. I got the eyes, but still do not have Whisper.Ā 

10 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Trying to do the Prophecy Dungeon for those eyes. 45/50 eyes so far finished.

The biggest pain in the ass one to get is the last one in the Dungeon. It is in the boss room, but you can only see it in one of the configurations, which are random each time you go back. The group I was with had to Draw it out to four phases just to get the correct orientation of the room.Ā 

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Ā Ran into a very weird glitch. I was in a Gambit Prime match that tied and in the second round the Prime Evil didn't even spawn!

I donā€™t think I ever ran into that. Maybe once a long time ago. I mostly just play Gambit Prime when I play Gambit. I like the 1-round formula more.Ā 

Something like half my quests all required a bunch of Crucible kills, so I finally spent some time in there. It remains my least favorite mode, and is by far the most annoying to grind out. I actually did alright in a few rounds and was rarely the worst on my team, but it still took far too long to finish most of my quests. I picked up Lumina, The Last Word, Ace of Spades, and the catalyst for Witherhoard, but IĀ still only made it to 200/500 for Thorn.

Ā 

I wish significantĀ Crucible requirements wouldn't get thrown into long quest chains. When weapons are locked behind a huge crucible grind, like Mountaintop, that's fine with me. I quickly come to terms with the fact that I won't get that weapon and I move on. When I spend a bunch of time working through a big long questline for an exotic and then run into a Crucible grind, it's frustrating. Especially since it's always something specific like precision final blows with a hand cannon or counting specific medals.Ā 

Ā 

18 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

There is a quest tied to it. I think that location is bugged in that you can see the marker, but not interact with it if you are not on that step of the quest. at least that what happened for me.Ā 
Ā 

there is a hard to see are of a vent you can jump over to and climb under to get to it.Ā 
Ā 

I donā€™t remember what the quest was.Ā 
Ā 

edit: @RemarkableriotsĀ @TwinIon

I remembered, and looked it up to confirm. It is a in the Mars portion of the quest steps to unlock the exotic side arm, Travelerā€™s Chosen.Ā 

Interesting. I haven't gone back since I got Traveler's Chosen. Hopefully it's gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

@TwinIon The Draw quest is probably one i will never be good enough to finish.

Which part are you on?

Ā 

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Something like half my quests all required a bunch of Crucible kills, so I finally spent some time in there. It remains my least favorite mode, and is by far the most annoying to grind out. I actually did alright in a few rounds and was rarely the worst on my team, but it still took far too long to finish most of my quests. I picked up Lumina, The Last Word, Ace of Spades, and the catalyst for Witherhoard, but IĀ still only made it to 200/500 for Thorn.

Ā 

I wish significantĀ Crucible requirements wouldn't get thrown into long quest chains. When weapons are locked behind a huge crucible grind, like Mountaintop, that's fine with me. I quickly come to terms with the fact that I won't get that weapon and I move on. When I spend a bunch of time working through a big long questline for an exotic and then run into a Crucible grind, it's frustrating. Especially since it's always something specific like precision final blows with a hand cannon or counting specific medals.Ā 

Ā 

Interesting. I haven't gone back since I got Traveler's Chosen. Hopefully it's gone.

one of the good things about the pinnacle/ritual weapon next season and it sounds like moving forward is instead of it being locked behind a single activity you may not want to do, you can choose the activity at the beginning of the quest.Ā 
Ā 

Next season will have a sniper rifle, and Bungie has said instead of just requiring crucible kills, you can choose the activity you play to unlock it. Gambit, Strikes, Crucible. Once you pick you are locked in, but you donā€™t have to do an activity you donā€™t want. Which is good for everyone, as there are some who barely play PVE and would rather unlock everything in PVP, and then normal people like us that want PVE. lol

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Which part are you on?

Independent Study.Ā 

"Defeat Guardians in the Crucible using Void energy or Hand Cannons. Precision streaks using Void Hand Cannons grant the most efficient progress. Note that progress is multiplied in the Iron Banner or in Survival Crucible matches. "

Ā 

I haven't found that Survival is actually faster, but that could just be a question of opportunities and not how much credit I get. My void Hand Cannons are so much worse than the kinetic ones that they're not really worth using, and I'm never on a precision streak, so that doesn't matter. I thought that any void weapon would work, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

Ā 

If I enjoyed crucible or was any good at it, the grind wouldn't really be that bad. As it is, I'm playing a mode that I'm already bad at, with weapons I don't normally use, to make inconsistent progress. I'll probably go back to it when I have some more quests requiring crucible kills.Ā 

49 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I have to get light from Crucible kills but i lose it with deaths. So i get a little ways but eventually i wind up getting my ass kicked by snipers removing all my progress.

The good news is assists also count. Find a weapon or loadout that works, even if it is a bit cheese. I love me some Jotunn. lolĀ 

Ā 

@TwinIonĀ non void hand cannons do work. The problem is it takes like 5Ā kills to register 1%, if it is just a void weapon or just a hand cannon, and not during Iron Banner. The way it works is you need 500 points. Void is worth 1 point. Handcannon is worth 1 point. Headshot is worth 1 point. So a headshot void handcannon is worth 3 points. In Iron Banner or Competitive you get a bonus. It will take a while.Ā 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, Dodger said:

Ā 

Ā 

I'll be trying to get into this when it comes to GP, though I'll be starting from the bottom but if there is a group here maybe I can get in on it.Ā 

I'm gonna wait for the Xbox Series X update that will make it run at 60fps. After playing games like Doom 2, MCC and Apex i have a hard time playing shooters locked at 30 fps. Hopefully the update is the day XSX launches or shortly after.

46 minutes ago, The def star said:

I'm gonna wait for the Xbox Series X update that will make it run at 60fps. After playing games like Doom 2, MCC and Apex i have a hard time playing shooters locked at 30 fps. Hopefully the update is the day XSX launches or shortly after.

Hopefully they eliminate that annoying loading that happens randomly in areas while you're playing with the new SSD! Just a heads up that content is going away around that time.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:38 PM, Remarkableriots said:
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

Destiny 2 needs to start showing us the actual benefits of sunsetting so it's more clear we're not just earning the same stuff all over again.

What do you think of this?

There may be some earning of the weapon and perks. Destiny has had it before. Luckily they have seen the wisdom in giving us easy ways to farm for ā€œgod rollsā€.Ā 
Ā 

Metas change, and new weapons arenā€™t introduced with stats and perks that can aid in mixing things up even more. Right now Gnawing Hunger is a PvP juggernaut, but it could take a rebalance to other archetypes and suddenly 450rpm ARs, maybe pulse rifles make a come back, scout rifles could even become meta. Heck, even new exotic weapons change peopleā€™s loadouts, as they try to make good pairings.Ā 
Ā 

even without sunsetting the community, and myself, have already put away many weapons in both PVP and PVE. Iā€™m not using the game weapons in my loadouts as I was a year ago, or even 3 months ago.Ā 
Ā 

I tend the gravitate towards certain perks. Many players do, as they fit our style of play. Some want a reload perk + damage perk. Always. Iā€™m a bit fan of perks that improve stability and target stickiness. Bit depending on the weapon I mix it up.Ā Ā Ā 

On 9/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, Remarkableriots said:
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

Destiny 2 needs to start showing us the actual benefits of sunsetting so it's more clear we're not just earning the same stuff all over again.

What do you think of this?

Like yourself, I haven't been playing for that long, so I started playing Destiny under the assumption that gear would get sunset. I think the basic idea behind sunsetting is perfectly fine. I think it's kinda weird that gear in Destiny could last so long in the first place. I also don't agree with the author of that piece that Bungie owes us a whole lot of specific info about what the loot pool will look like. I would assume that of all things, that is something subject to change before release.

Ā 

Personally, I wish two things were true:

-First, that good rolls were easier to get. I've put in what I feel like is far too many hours into this game, and I feel like it's stupid that I need to find the same gun 100 times, or that end game armor can have rolls so low.

-Second, that it was much more clear what kind of gear you can expect from any given thing. I still don't know if there's supposed to be a stat difference between pinnacle gear and powerful gear and random legendary drops and umbrals and vendor rewards and everything else. If light level is the only difference, then I feel like I should have been able to get better rolls by now. It does seem like loot from newer raids hasĀ better average rolls than loot elsewhere, but it sure feels stupid to me that I found most of my highest stat armor in random places from light ~950-1030, while most of my playtime now has been spent over 1050.

Ā 

If I had a better understanding of what loot I could expect from any given activityĀ and slightly better odds at getting good rolls, I wouldn't care too much if they made gear obsolete regularly. I feel like this is how most games handle things.

Ā 

This isĀ why I (and I assume many others), are willing to spend time grinding out exotic quest lines. There's a light at the end of those tunnels.

With the engram recastor by the Drifter you can focus the engrams to improve your chances. No guarantee, but far easier than it used to be, when it was just pure RNG of a drop or chest. Each season has had such a method, and Bungie knows how popular it has been, and it doesnā€™t break the game.Ā I donā€™t see much changing.Ā 
Ā 

Raids and Dungeons have the smallest loot pools, but you also canā€™t repeat them to farm.Ā 
Ā 

Every other activity has a pretty large loot pool. So itā€™s not easy to farm for a specific item. Though there are some items that are exclusive to Strikes, Crucible, Gambit, and planetary destinations. But again,Ā the loot pool is too large to reliably farm.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

With the engram recastor by the Drifter you can focus the engrams to improve your chances. No guarantee, but far easier than it used to be, when it was just pure RNG of a drop or chest. Each season has had such a method, and Bungie knows how popular it has been, and it doesnā€™t break the game.Ā I donā€™t see much changing.Ā 
Ā 

Raids and Dungeons have the smallest loot pools, but you also canā€™t repeat them to farm.Ā 
Ā 

Every other activity has a pretty large loot pool. So itā€™s not easy to farm for a specific item. Though there are some items that are exclusive to Strikes, Crucible, Gambit, and planetary destinations. But again,Ā the loot pool is too large to reliably farm.Ā 

I don't think the current system is too bad for farming a specific item, but I think it's a poor system that rewards dozens or hundreds of identical items without it being any better than what you had. My light level has gone up, but the stat rolls on my armor haven't. I can't recall another game where my level went up, and I was doing high end content, but my gear didn't also improve. One of my armor pieces is a really excellent roll I wouldn't expect to surpass. The others are fine, mid 60s. When I came across them initially they were upgrades, but nothing I was excited about. I've probably opened hundreds of pieces for each slot since, from all sources, and haven't really found better.

Armor is a different beast from weapons. Itā€™s why I and many other may be ok with weapon sunsetting, but feel armor should not.Ā 
Ā 

There is no reliable way to farm armor with good rolls.Ā 
Ā 

Legendary and Powerful armor drops donā€™t get high star rolls. Usually sub 50, or barely over 50. Pinnacle gear can be midĀ 50s all the way up to the itemā€™s max in the 60s(max varies by item)Ā 
Ā 

Getting a max stat roll is pretty rare. Getting a 60+ roll with the distributed stats you want makes it even rarer. Harder to get a stat and roll you really like than getting a weapon god roll. So yeah. Armor sunsetting sucks. Itā€™s bad enough that any armor piece only allows seasonal mods from the current season, previous season, and next season. So for powerful season mods the armor only has a three month life span as is.Ā