Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble | Switch Exclusive | June 25, 2024

Keyser_Soze

I'm not sure why anyone is excited for this? My brothers and I loved the original Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 when they came out for the GameCube (they're still great) but every Super Monkey Ball game since then has sucked. My brothers and I tried the most recent Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania but it was just Super Monkey Ball 1+2 with infinite lives essentially (which is worse). The competitive nature of doing the levels with a group was just completely missing, and it was otherwise a carbon copy of all the levels in the first two games. I don't expect this next one to break the trend of finally being good. I checked Metacritic just to see if I was misremembering, and nope, both critics and audiences have essentially unanimously eviscerated every Super Monkey Ball since Super Monkey Ball 2 except for the recent Banana Mania, which got "good enough" reviews (critics were kinder to it than the users were).The Fall Guys-style online multiplayer mode in this has potential at least.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

I’m excited because it’s a new Super Monkey Ball and it’s a chance to try again. Also I can see already it’s beyond Blitz as I notice no guard rails. And that was actually the last all new one on a console, the others were mobile and handheld. It also looks good to me from that so idk.

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure why anyone is excited for this? My brothers and I loved the original Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 when they came out for the GameCube (they're still great) but every Super Monkey Ball game since then has sucked. My brothers and I tried the most recent Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania but it was just Super Monkey Ball 1+2 with infinite lives essentially (which is worse). The competitive nature of doing the levels with a group was just completely missing, and it was otherwise a carbon copy of all the levels in the first two games. I don't expect this next one to break the trend of finally being good. I checked Metacritic just to see if I was misremembering, and nope, both critics and audiences have essentially unanimously eviscerated every Super Monkey Ball since Super Monkey Ball 2 except for the recent Banana Mania, which got "good enough" reviews (critics were kinder to it than the users were).The Fall Guys-style online multiplayer mode has potential at least.

Because I don’t give a shit about Metacritic?

• True 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure why anyone is excited for this? My brothers and I loved the original Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 when they came out for the GameCube (they're still great) but every Super Monkey Ball game since then has sucked. My brothers and I tried the most recent Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania but it was just Super Monkey Ball 1+2 with infinite lives essentially (which is worse). The competitive nature of doing the levels with a group was just completely missing, and it was otherwise a carbon copy of all the levels in the first two games. I don't expect this next one to break the trend of finally being good. I checked Metacritic just to see if I was misremembering, and nope, both critics and audiences have essentially unanimously eviscerated every Super Monkey Ball since Super Monkey Ball 2 except for the recent Banana Mania, which got "good enough" reviews (critics were kinder to it than the users were).The Fall Guys-style online multiplayer mode has potential at least.

Maybe Super Monkey Ball isn't the problem and perhaps your brother is the problem.

Play with me and we will have an unforgettable time :angry-fap-small:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m excited because it’s a new Super Monkey Ball and it’s a chance to try again. Also I can see already it’s beyond Blitz as I notice no guard rails. And that was actually the last all new one on a console, the others were mobile and handheld. It also looks good to me from that so idk.

Banana Mania was just 3 years ago, a new game with the same studio whose been making bad ones is unlikely to be much of an improvement. I mean, it's been like 8 bad games in a row.

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Because I don’t give a shit about Metacritic?

It's at least some proof the recent games are bad, but play your bad Super Monkey Ball games, no one's stopping you.

• Hype 1

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Banana Mania was just 3 years ago, a new game with the same studio whose been making bad ones is unlikely to be much of an improvement. I mean, it's been like 8 bad games in a row.

It's at least some proof the recent games are bad, but play your bad Super Monkey Ball games, no one's stopping you.

angry arnold schwarzenegger GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s the first new one in over a decade. You can’t pre judge games in the way you do looking at what previous films a director made. It’ll be good or not but the history doesn’t matter. 

Umm, yes, you can prejudge a director's upcoming film based on their previous filmography. There are outliers and exceptions but it's pretty consistent: bad directors frequently make bad movies and good directors usually make good movies. Of course there's a chance this is good but I wouldn't be excited for it, best I'd do is wait and see. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than typically disappointed.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Umm, yes, you can prejudge a director's upcoming film based on their previous filmography. There are outliers and exceptions but it's pretty consistent: bad directors frequently make bad movies and good directors usually make good movies. Of course there's a chance this is good but I wouldn't be excited for it, best I'd do is wait and see. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than typically disappointed.

I didn’t say you couldn’t, I said you can’t judge games as easily in that same manner. Game development is more collaborative on the creative side and no single person typically holds as much influence on the outcome of a game. Whoever is making this may not have had any hand in the previous entries, we don’t know the staff on it.

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Mean Girls Shut Up GIF

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I didn’t say you couldn’t, I said you can’t judge games as easily in that same manner. Game development is more collaborative on the creative side and no single person typically holds as much influence on the outcome of a game. Whoever is making this may not have had any hand in the previous entries, we don’t know the staff on it.

But it's the same company that made Banana Mania three years ago (which you keep ignoring, as well as the HD version of Banana Blitz which came out in 2019), and while staff have changed since the Super Monkey Ball game before Banana Mania from 2012 (Banana Splitz) it's still the same studio having made all the bad Super Monkey Ball games since after Super Monkey Ball 2, and despite 20 years of staff changes at the same company in all that time, the Super Monkey Ball games have remained universally panned. You're playing against the very likely odds, which is a strange take. No one is saying the game can't be good, I'm saying based on past evidence it's unlikely to be good, so why would I get excited and presume the far less likely option that it will be good? Again, I'd rather end up wrong and pleasantly surprised than thinking this time will be different. It could be, but it's unlikely to be. 

59 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Mean Girls Shut Up GIF

Logic's a bitch.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But it's the same company that made Banana Mania three years ago, and while staff have probably changed since the Super Monkey ball game before that from 2012 (Banana Splitz) it's still the same studio having made all the bad Monkey Ball games since Super Monkey Ball 2, and despite 20 years of staff changes at the same company in all that time, the Super Monkey Ball games have remain universally panned. You're playing against the very likely odds, which is a strange take. No one is saying the game can't be good, I'm saying based on past evidence it's unlikely to be good, so why would I get excited and presume the far less likely option that it will be good? Again, I'd rather end up wrong and pleasantly surprised than thinking this time will be different. It could be, but it's unlikely to be. 

Logic's a bitch.

Logic doesn’t apply to Biggie

• True 1

35 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But it's the same company that made Banana Mania three years ago (which you keep ignoring, as well as the HD version of Banana Blitz which came out in 2019), and while staff have changed since the Super Monkey Ball game before Banana Mania from 2012 (Banana Splitz) it's still the same studio having made all the bad Super Monkey Ball games since after Super Monkey Ball 2, and despite 20 years of staff changes at the same company in all that time, the Super Monkey Ball games have remained universally panned. You're playing against the very likely odds, which is a strange take. No one is saying the game can't be good, I'm saying based on past evidence it's unlikely to be good, so why would I get excited and presume the far less likely option that it will be good? Again, I'd rather end up wrong and pleasantly surprised than thinking this time will be different. It could be, but it's unlikely to be. 

Logic's a bitch.

Im not ignoring Banana Mania, it’s just not a new game, and it was fine? I played some on deck and seems like a decent remaster. It got pretty good reviews. 

It’s not the same Studio making all of these. The last all new MB games have been by other developers since the one that was designed for the balance board. The dev’s last game just got a 90 on OC. It’s not like some dev with a bad reputation here. 

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im not ignoring Banana Mania, it’s just not a new game, and it was fine? I played some on deck and seems like a decent remaster. It got pretty good reviews. 

It’s not the same Studio making all of these. The last all new MB games have been by other developers since the one that was designed for the balance board. The dev’s last game just got a 90 on OC. It’s not like some dev with a bad reputation here. 

Banana Mania wasn't that good, it was a poor carbon copy of Super Monkey Ball 1+2. The only reason it got good reviews is because the level designs are simply remakes from those games, it's not really a new game. And it is the same studio making these, it's always been Amusement Vision/New Entertainment/CS1 R&D/Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios. As you can see on their page, they are credited with all the games. Not sure where you got it hasn't always been the same studio but that's not what I'm seeing. So yes, the dev has a bad reputation for poor Super Monkey Ball games since Super Monkey Ball 2. They obviously make great Yakuza/Like A Dragon games. You are reaching really hard to find a way to think this will be good when there is no basis to think it will be. It may end up being good, but there's little reason to think it will be good ahead of time. Why you think it will be is a mystery to me as I'm not sure on what basis of evidence your placing your faith on.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Logic doesn’t apply to Biggie

No, logic is simply not used by Biggie, but unfortunately it will frequently be foisted on Biggie whether Biggie likes it or not because logic is right and Biggie is wrong. If Biggie used logic, he'd get to be right.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

No, it's simply not used by Biggie, but unfortunately it will frequently be foisted on you whether you like it or not because logic is right and Biggie is wrong. If Biggie used logic, he'd get to be right.

ice cube what GIF

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Banana Mania wasn't that good, it was a poor carbon copy of Super Monkey Ball 1+2. The only reason it got good reviews is because the level designs are simply remakes from those games, it's not really a new game. And it is the same studio making these, it's always been Amusement Vision/New Entertainment/CS1 R&D/Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios. As you can see on their page, they are credited with all the games. Not sure where you got it hasn't always been the same studio but that's not what I'm seeing. So yes, the dev has a bad reputation for poor Super Monkey Ball games since Super Monkey Ball 2. They obviously make great Yakuza/Like A Dragon games. You are reaching really hard to find a way to think this will be good when there is no basis to think it will be. It may end up being good, but there's little reason to think it will be good ahead of time. Why you think it will be is a mystery to me as I'm not sure on what basis of evidence your placing your faith on.

They didn’t make the vita one, which was the last original one. They also didn’t make JR or Adventure. Banana Mania is a remake, I know it’s not an all new game, that’s what I’m saying. They haven’t done an original one in almost 15 years and that one was tied to the balance board gimmick. This developer has not made an original monkey ball in a long ass time and they are a completely different beast now. 

Anyway, I’m not going to argue anymore if I’m allowed to be hyped for this or not :P

I have no idea if it’ll be good or not, but I’m optimistic. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I have no idea if it’ll be good or not, but I’m optimistic. 

This is exactly my point. We have some idea if it will be good or not, and all they've given us is reason not to be optimistic. That's been my entire point from the start. It doesn't matter how long it's been (they weren't responsible for two games out of 8+, that means little) if the only evidence we have is bad. Again, it could end up being surprisingly good, but there's no evidence currently to believe so except the hope that time has magically made things better since Banana Blitz HD and Banana Mania. But go on being hopeful.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Why the fuck are the Yakuza devs making Monkey Ball games? Wait, they were ALWAYS the Monkey Ball dev? What the hell is the history here? Why do they suck so bad at making Monkey Ball now?! Why would you make a Monkey Ball game Switch exclusive, that makes no sense??

These are all the right questions.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I can't believe I upvoted that chump as much as I did in this thread. I feel ashamed.  😞 

Interesting how you supposedly were supposed to block @Greatoneshere and @CitizenVectron because they "attacked" you so much yet here you are in a couple of different threads reading what they have to say. :thinking:

here we go batman GIF

(Actually please not in the Monkey Ball thread :pray: )

• Hugs 2

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Interesting how you supposedly were supposed to block @Greatoneshere and @CitizenVectron because they "attacked" you so much yet here you are in a couple of different threads reading what they have to say. :thinking:

here we go batman GIF

(Actually please not in the Monkey Ball thread :pray: )

Why did you have to even mention at them? Are you trying to cause more issues?

It doesn't allow you to block on mobile. I had no issues with either of them until they acted like complete assholes. I honestly don't give two shits but I love how you always get into things that's none of your fuckin business. I'll read and do whatever the fuck I want.

When you do this shit (you've done this to me in the past) you come off like such a loser. It's pathetic. Like were you bullied as a kid or something?