Moana 2 announced for November 27, 2024 release

THEWALTDISNEYCOMPANY.COM

Moana 2, Disney Animation’s all-new feature-length sequel to 2016’s Oscar-nominated film, will be released in theaters in 2024.

The Walt Disney Company Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger announced today that Moana 2, Disney Animation’s all-new feature-length sequel to 2016’s Oscar-nominated film, will be released in theaters in 2024.

“Moana remains an incredibly popular franchise,” said Iger. “And we can’t wait to give you more of Moana and Maui when Moana 2 comes to theaters this November.”

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ epic animated musical Moana 2 takes audiences on an expansive new voyage with Moana, Maui and a brand-new crew of unlikely seafarers.

After receiving an unexpected call from her wayfinding ancestors, Moana must journey to the far seas of Oceania and into dangerous, long-lost waters for an adventure unlike anything she’s ever faced.

Directed by Dave Derrick Jr. with music by Grammy® winners Abigail Barlow and Emily Bear, Grammy nominee Opetaia Foa’i, and three-time Grammy winner Mark Mancina, Moana 2 opens in theaters on Nov. 27, 2024.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Moana 2 announced for November 27, 2024 release
2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hei Hei better return!

Can still remember seeing an early screening of the original on the beach at the Polynesian hotel. 

who are you, sblfilms? :p

Still I can’t believe it’s been 8 years already since the last film. Music should be interesting to hear maybe go another direction since LMM isn’t returning. All I know is I have 2 excited nieces who will want to see it badly. One a lot more than the other and with her stuffed Pooah’s and HeiHei surrounded her bed. 

44 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

well this isn't exactly promising news, this film is going to be a repurposing of a show they were working on for D+

Yep, heard the same as well. Not great news but who knows.

WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Originally announced back in 2020, the Moana show has been re-developed as a film—not to be confused with the live-action remake set for 2025

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yep, heard the same as well. Not great news but who knows.

WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Originally announced back in 2020, the Moana show has been re-developed as a film—not to be confused with the live-action remake set for 2025

the only thing that gives me hope is that it turns out like Toy Story 2, which if  recall was originally going to be either a tv special or a direct to video thing that got retooled

• True 1

16 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

the only thing that gives me hope is that it turns out like Toy Story 2, which if  recall was originally going to be either a tv special or a direct to video thing that got retooled

Yeah and just like Pixar was in their early days, Disney's animation studio is young, hungry, and eager to prove themselves. :beatup:

13 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

this isn't being done by the same people, it's actually being done by a newer studio they set up in Canada

So are they going to change the chicken's name to 'Eh Eh'?

Yeah, I'll see myself out. 

• Hugs 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:52 PM, EternallDarkness said:

Disney was developing a direct to video sequel to Toy Story that Pixar wasn't involved in. Pixar wasn't pleased with how the movie was turning out so they asked Disney to throw it out completely if they would let make the sequel themselves. Only thing is the movie still had to come out on the original planned release date so they had only 9 months to make the whole movie. It's truly a miracle that Toy Story 2 is as good as it is.

It's pretty clear this isn't a creative decision but one of desperation because Wish and Strange World flopped. They need a win and Moana 2 will guarantee one for them.