Ys9 contest!

stepee

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never played a Ys game so is it ok to just hop into the newest one?

(I know the giveaway is over but just keeping the good vibes going :p )

It is! They all feature the same main character but do not take place in chronological order. So you might get nods to other games but it will just be in passing as fan service at the most. I recommend if diving in now to do 8 then 9.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I only played the epilouge or whatever it's called. Way to early to tell if I'll like it as much as ys8. You saying it only takes place in a city might be an issue but I saw the city and it was vibrant. I like how basic it is off the start. Fun combat. 

The combat feels so damn good as you get more special attacks. Yeah there is more to it (dungeons and such) that isn’t in the city but the city is most of it. But since it all takes place there and you have so many quests around town you kind of get to know the city in a way that’s super cozy.

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Infinite Wealth is installed. I’ll start it tomorrow after work. Thanks @stepee  

I watched some streams while I waited.  The game looks cool af. 

I actually might have to dive in when I get back. I was going to wait longer but the hype is real 

Honestly I’d get IW tonight if hotel wifi wasn’t so slow. I don’t get why it had to be so fucking slow. We have better technology but in every hotel room it’s so bad. At least some let you upgrade to release the shackles but they don’t have that here and actually brag about their 10mbps.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly I’d get IW tonight if hotel wifi wasn’t so slow. I don’t get why it had to be so fucking slow. We have better technology but in every hotel room it’s so bad. At least some let you upgrade to release the shackles but they don’t have that here and actually brag about their 10mbps.

Sneak down into their back office and use their wired connection.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never played a Ys game so is it ok to just hop into the newest one?

(I know the giveaway is over but just keeping the good vibes going :p )

Ys 8 is the best, but it's also the beefiest. Most of the games can be beaten in 20 hours max. Ys 8 takes like 50+ hours. I would recommend starting with Ys 7 or Memories of Celceta to see if you like it. Oath in Felghana is the only one that I think is actively shitty, the rest are fun. But I wouldn't start with Origin, I&II Chronicles, or Ys 6. Make sure you like the gameplay format before you dive into those. The games kind of play like a super fast-paced Secret of Mana. The bosses in the earlier games pretty much turn into bullet hell, and they can be super hard.

Also the games don't really have much connecting plot. Some characters show up in multiple games, but it's not a big deal. The general premise is "Adol gets into some shit," you don't need any backstory. There is a technical chronological order, but it really doesn't matter.

54 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I really should get into this series. I love Falcom.

It's honestly one of my favorite franchises. I haven't finished 9, but I've played every other game. Some of the earlier ones can be really, really hard, so be aware of that. If you want to jump into the series, I would recommend starting with Ys 7 or Memories of Celceta. They're relatively short (20 hours or so) and will give you a good idea of the gameplay. Ys 8 and 9 are much bigger.

Also the series has the absolute sickest music. Ys 8 might have my favorite JRPG soundtrack of all time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm not making much progress lol. Still roaming around the town as a prisoner. The visuals are very basic. 

I’ve only played one Ys game. It was the one where you are shipwrecked on an island and a mystery evolved. It started off so good but then went off the rails bat crazy and I couldn’t follow the story.  

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ve only played one Ys game. It was the one where you are shipwrecked on an island and a mystery evolved. It started off so good but then went off the rails bat crazy and I couldn’t follow the story.  

That's ys8 which I loved. This is set in a prison and city so I hope I like it. 

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Ys 8 is the best, but it's also the beefiest. Most of the games can be beaten in 20 hours max. Ys 8 takes like 50+ hours. I would recommend starting with Ys 7 or Memories of Celceta to see if you like it. Oath in Felghana is the only one that I think is actively shitty, the rest are fun. But I wouldn't start with Origin, I&II Chronicles, or Ys 6. Make sure you like the gameplay format before you dive into those. The games kind of play like a super fast-paced Secret of Mana. The bosses in the earlier games pretty much turn into bullet hell, and they can be super hard.

Also the games don't really have much connecting plot. Some characters show up in multiple games, but it's not a big deal. The general premise is "Adol gets into some shit," you don't need any backstory. There is a technical chronological order, but it really doesn't matter.

It's honestly one of my favorite franchises. I haven't finished 9, but I've played every other game. Some of the earlier ones can be really, really hard, so be aware of that. If you want to jump into the series, I would recommend starting with Ys 7 or Memories of Celceta. They're relatively short (20 hours or so) and will give you a good idea of the gameplay. Ys 8 and 9 are much bigger.

Also the series has the absolute sickest music. Ys 8 might have my favorite JRPG soundtrack of all time.

I just googled the length for Ys9. Takes 28 hours if you just focus on the main objective. 

16 hours ago, Biggie said:

Infinite Wealth is installed. I’ll start it tomorrow after work. Thanks @stepee  

I watched some streams while I waited.  The game looks cool af. 

I actually did get it downloaded over night so I’m trying it now :P

• Hype 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 9:35 PM, Fizzzzle said:

They were on sale so I bought Ys 8 and have been playing it all weekend. It freaking rocks. I love it so far.

• Hype 2

Ys X just got confirmed for the West this fall. Just an FYI.

Also... I was starting to play through the Ys series, starting from the first one. I had to stop. This is a series that I will need to play when I don't mind wandering aimlessly for hours. These first two games are awful.

I know they more modern ones are better, and I've played a fair bit of Ys VIII and it's pretty good. But these early ones are rough.

7 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Ys X just got confirmed for the West this fall. Just an FYI.

Also... I was starting to play through the Ys series, starting from the first one. I had to stop. This is a series that I will need to play when I don't mind wandering aimlessly for hours. These first two games are awful.

I know they more modern ones are better, and I've played a fair bit of Ys VIII and it's pretty good. But these early ones are rough.

Never start with the early ones. They're rough and only playable if you already know what you're doing