Biden responds to Iran by deciding to respond

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The deaths at a base in Jordan on Sunday are the first in months of attacks by Iran-backed militants since the Israel-Hamas war began.

Part of me wishes for someone like Reagan in office when something like this happens to us. I may not have liked a lot of his policies, but enemies knew that when you came up against the US, you didn't want Reagan making decisions.

16 minutes ago, brucoe said:
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The deaths at a base in Jordan on Sunday are the first in months of attacks by Iran-backed militants since the Israel-Hamas war began.

Part of me wishes for someone like Reagan in office when something like this happens to us. I may not have liked a lot of his policies, but enemies knew that when you came up against the US, you didn't want Reagan making decisions.

Counterpoint: Reagan really didn't respond at all when the Marine barracks in Beirut was destroyed in an Iranian-backed suicide attack in October 1983 which killed 241 American military personnel and 58 French military personnel:

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Beqaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team and planned to target the Sheik Abdullah barracks in Baalbek, Lebanon, which housed Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) believed to be training Hezbollah militants.[80] A joint American–French air assault on the camp where the bombing was planned was also approved by Reagan and Mitterrand. U.S. Defense Secretary Weinberger lobbied successfully against the mission, because at the time it was not certain that Iran was behind the attack.[81]

Eventually, it became evident that the U.S. would launch no serious and immediate retaliatory attack for the Beirut Marine barracks bombing beyond naval barrages and air strikes used to interdict continuous harassing fire from Druze and Syrian missile and artillery sites.[89] A true retaliatory strike failed to materialize because there was a rift in White House counsel, largely between George P. Shultz of the Department of State and Weinberger of the Department of Defense, and because the extant evidence pointing at Iranian involvement was circumstantial at that time: the Islamic Jihad, which took credit for the attack, was a front for Hezbollah which was acting as a proxy for Iran, affording Iran plausible deniability.[6]

Secretary of State Shultz was an advocate for retaliation, but Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger was against retaliation. Secretary of Defense Weinberger, in a September 2001 Frontline interview, reaffirmed that rift in White House counsel when he claimed that the U.S. still lacks "'actual knowledge of who did the bombing' of the Marine barracks."[81]

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Counterpoint: Reagan really didn't respond at all when the Marine barracks in Beirut was destroyed in an Iranian-backed attack which killed 241 Americans:

Perhaps because he was already in bed with Iran as part of Iran-Contra.

• True 1

15 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I find it amazing  how people forget how we demolished the Iranian Navy and several oil platforms over the period of 8 hours when Reagan was president because they attacked one of our destroyers.

@TUFKAK reminded us about that recently :p

But it doesn't change my original point that Reagan didn't immediately respond to a massive attack on American military personnel with a significant retaliatory strike.  In a sense, both his and Biden's actions in the proximate aftermath of their respective situations are remarkably similar.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@TUFKAK reminded us about that recently :p

But it doesn't change my original point that Reagan didn't immediately respond to a massive attack on American military personnel with a significant retaliatory strike.  In a sense, both his and Biden's actions in the proximate aftermath of their respective situations are remarkably similar.

I don't disagree with you. As someone involved in the invasion of Grenada, it was hard to not see Reagan as the guy who would do all harm. Plus, my original post was thinking completely about the response to the Iranian Navy as I was stationed out there and hoo haw'd like the rest of them.

From ABC News:

The U.S. response to a drone attack that killed three American service members in Jordan last weekend will be carried out "over the course of several days" and striking "multiple targets," a U.S. official told ABC News Tuesday.

"These are going to be very deliberate targets -- deliberate strikes on facilities that enabled these attacks" on U.S. forces, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss sensitive details.

Officials would not say whether any of the targets would be inside or outside Iran.

• Thanks 1

As I suspected, we'd hit the groups in Syria/Iraq that perpetrated the attacks. Yesterday we released a statement saying that we would do just that, which if you read between the lines gave Iran time to evac their important dudes to avoid being hit. 

The US and Iran both know how the game is played. Iran gets to save its more important pieces while we get to hit their pawns. Then we get it out of our systems and we go back to business as usual. 

• Shocked 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, brucoe said:

I find it amazing  how people forget how we demolished the Iranian Navy and several oil platforms over the period of 8 hours when Reagan was president because they attacked one of our destroyers.

2 hours ago, brucoe said:

As Wade said, I have never forgot 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

U.S. has retaliated.

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Strikes began in Iraq, Syria after American service members were killed Sunday.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said U.S. military forces, at Biden's direction, conducted strikes on seven facilities inside Iraq and Syria that "Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and affiliated militias use to attack U.S. forces."

"This is the start of our response," Austin said in a statement. "The President has directed additional actions to hold the IRGC and affiliated militias accountable for their attacks on U.S. and Coalition Forces. These will unfold at times and places of our choosing."

Like Biden, Austin stressed the U.S. doesn't seek conflict in the Middle East but attacks on U.S. troops won't go unanswered.

"We will take all necessary actions to defend the United States, our forces, and our interests," he concluded.

This should be the aspiration always.