Monkey Man - Dev Patel Directed/Starring Actioner Produced by Peele - April 5th

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had to delay my viewing on account of illness, but finally made it into the theater this weekend. I thought it was decent. A good enough showing for a first time director, but there is some shabbiness in the script and the directing that prevent it from being a home run. There are some flashes of excellence, especially towards the end. Certainly worth a stream when it's available.

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Had to delay my viewing on account of illness, but finally made it into the theater this weekend. I thought it was decent. A good enough showing for a first time director, but there is some shabbiness in the script and the directing that prevent it from being a home run. There are some flashes of excellence, especially towards the end. Certainly worth a stream when it's available.

It is already available for digital purchase if people are interested. I just saw the film as well and I agree with your take. It was a strong directorial debut, the fight scenes had a good amount of ooomph, the film is not too long, and the unique setting on location (India) helps. But the film's plot is pretty derivative and you feel like the movie could be even more than it actually ends up being. The film feels like it holds back a bit too much and doesn't lean hard enough into being a harder film. Worth watching 7/10, but could have been better at the same time.

• Like 1