I have an itch to play a JRPG, even though I don't even kinda have time to play a JRPG...

Okay. While I'm still working on my backlog project, I've really been getting the urge to play through a JRPG. The vast majority of RPG type games I've been playing in the past year have been Western RPG's in one form or another, whether it's Diablo or some other ARPG or something like Starfield or Gothic. I haven't had that scripted, linear narrative cliche RPG experience for a while. Some of them I've started at one point or another, but it's been so long I'd probably just start a fresh playthrough.

So, in my backlog I have....

The ENTIRE Ys series.... (so like, 9 games)

Xuan Yuan Sword 7

Sword Art Online Alicisssomething Lactatorisisationalism

Trials of Mana

Tales of Zestiria

Final Fantasy XII

Dragon Quest XI

I'm leaning toward the Ys series because all of them together would probably equal the playtime of a Tales game or that Sword Art Online. But I dunno... any suggestions?

Of those I've only played Dragon Quest XI, which is fantastic game.  Very traditional, but has a really smart skill tree that makes it feel more modern in a sense.  Play with battles with the old school turn based style, it's better that way.

It's either a 60 or 90 hour RPG depending on if you want the story to continue... which it's a bit of a conundrum if you're out to finish it.

2 minutes ago, Derek said:

I loved DQ 11, but it took me forever to finish (100%). 150-200 hours, if memory serves. 

I did almost everything in roughly half that time.  Didn't play the S version though.

HOWLONGTOBEAT.COM

How long is Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition? HowLongToBeat has the answer. Create a backlog, submit your game times and compete with your friends!

I've only played Ys I&II, but it's definitely a good place to start since they're short.

Trials of Mana is relatively short if you just do a single playthrough. If you want to try all the characters you need to do at least 2 play throughs but the first 2 party members get extra story scenes so if you want to see it all you need to play 3 times so that each character can be in either the first or second slot at least once.

FFXII is long but with the remaster you can speed it up. DQXI is long if you do everything.

Yeah I've played a pretty big chunk of DQ11, but that was back when it first originally released back in 2017 or so... it's been a while since I've even booted it up so I'd be basically starting over. I've been tempted to go with the S version instead.

It's kind of a shitty trade-off since the S version has extra stuff and plays in 60 fps, but it's also a port of the Switch version which is graphically inferior to the original.

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Yeah I've played a pretty big chunk of DQ11, but that was back when it first originally released back in 2017 or so... it's been a while since I've even booted it up so I'd be basically starting over. I've been tempted to go with the S version instead.

It's kind of a shitty trade-off since the S version has extra stuff and plays in 60 fps, but it's also a port of the Switch version which is graphically inferior to the original.

Ys Ys Ys Ys Ys

I just finished (impressions in the games of 24 thread) Ys9 and it’s fucking amazing. So is Ys8. I would start with Ys8, though Ys9 is a little shorter. You can do the main quest of Ys9 in 30 hours if you gun it or about 40-45 hours if you want to do all the side missions. Ys8 is more like 40-60 hours for that.

10 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Okay. While I'm still working on my backlog project, I've really been getting the urge to play through a JRPG. The vast majority of RPG type games I've been playing in the past year have been Western RPG's in one form or another, whether it's Diablo or some other ARPG or something like Starfield or Gothic. I haven't had that scripted, linear narrative cliche RPG experience for a while. Some of them I've started at one point or another, but it's been so long I'd probably just start a fresh playthrough.

So, in my backlog I have....

The ENTIRE Ys series.... (so like, 9 games)

Xuan Yuan Sword 7

Sword Art Online Alicisssomething Lactatorisisationalism

Trials of Mana

Tales of Zestiria

Final Fantasy XII

Dragon Quest XI

I'm leaning toward the Ys series because all of them together would probably equal the playtime of a Tales game or that Sword Art Online. But I dunno... any suggestions?

Tales of Arise? Universally praised and surprisingly good and this is from someone burned out on JRPGs

12 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Tales of Arise? Universally praised and surprisingly good and this is from someone burned out on JRPGs

shit... forgot about that one. I need to finish that one too lol....

Interestingly enough though, it was one of my least favorite of the Tales games. I kinda feel like they fucked up the combat. The whole appeal of Tales for me was that the fights could last literally seconds. In Arise, you just kinda chip away at the mobs until you can pull off a combo move or something and it really drags out the standard fights. Makes grinding for levels or mats really tedious.

17 hours ago, Biggie said:

This.

So is Ys but if you don't have time like you said how in the fuck can you play 9 games in the series @XxEvil AshxX

I could probably play the first few in the series in the same amount of time it would take to play through one of the other games. They don't look to be very long until you get to Ys VIII and IX.

Also should be noted that Ys don’t have to be tackled in order - they don’t take place in chronological order, so it doesn’t really matter. Despite featuring the same main character and existing in the same timeline, they are all quite stand alone