NOLVUS V5- Sweet Baby Jeebus!

Mr.Vic20

I recently watched a preview video of V6, a mod collection for Skyrim, produced by the NOLVUS team. They have been making Skyrim mod collections (managed by their dedicated front end app) for years now. The thing is, I never took the time to really delve in and see what these various NOLVUS releases had. HOLY SHIT! I am now running NOLVUS V5 (V6 is coming at some point this year) and its damn impressive! I'll get the most disappointing part out of the way first. I'm hovering around 60FPS while running this beast, so anyone without a 4090 can just keep on ignoring this project. OK, now I knew this was a Mod list, but I didn't realize how many they crammed into this build. I'm currently running 2044 mods on top of the Anniversary edition of Skyrim! It takes about 2 full minutes to load! :lol: 

The results are kind of insane! Every menu, system, item, and character are impacted. This isn't just "Skyrim+4K textures", although holy shit the visual overhaul is impressive. There are a ridiculous amounts of new systems, assets, weapons, locations and dungeons. Combat is massively overhauled. When your character hits, the impact is much more pronounced now, as are enemy attacks. Stunning your enemy and breaking their guard actually works in a meaningful way now.  Magic is far more dramatic and effective. I burned a guys head until it was just a skull and left him looking like Ghost Rider! I lopped of a hands and feet with glee! I hit a guy with a finisher that sent some of his innards flying out his back as I impaled him. Wild stuff! 

Perhaps the most impressive thing, to me, was stepping out of White Run into the surrounding land and realizing that the world is so rebuilt that I actually needed to explore. I've played Skyrim far too many times since its launch and can easily make it from White Run to Markarth without looking at my map. That's not going to happen this time. New monsters, undulating terrain, stuffed with trees, tall grasses,  and buckets of new assets. Its almost a new game. 

IF this at all interests you, check out this overview video of V5:

• Shocked 2

Does it need the anniversary edition to run? And can you use cross save between this and vanilla (say if I wanted to play this some day but also play it on deck at the same time for that play through and switch between tbe

)?

Damn looks like they've just up and rebuilt the game and made something entirely new.

At what point does it become a different game? It reminds me of that big Stardew Valley modder that just threw his hands up and made his own game, seemingly, since that's pretty much what his mods already were.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Does it need the anniversary edition to run? And can you use cross save between this and vanilla (say if I wanted to play this some day but also play it on deck at the same time for that play through and switch between tbe

)?

Yeah, you'll need the anniversary edition ($20.00) upgrade to special edition. As for saves, I'm guessing you'll need a new one, but believe me, you won't care! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Damn looks like they've just up and rebuilt the game and made something entirely new.

At what point does it become a different game? It reminds me of that big Stardew Valley modder that just threw his hands up and made his own game, seemingly, since that's pretty much what his mods already were.

The main points of the story and map are the same but pretty much everything else is different. I see this as almost a remake. 

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@Mr.Vic20 - can it be played from the first-person perspective?

Absolutely! The devs tend to show it 3rd person because of all the character model/gear work they've done, but you can toggle between 1st and 3rd person just like in the vanilla version. 

Well, after poking around in the NOLVOS launcher (you don't launch skyrim from steam) it seems I could incorporate this mod! Now I just need to find it. I also discovered that the base game plus all the current mods installed weighs in at a  slim 293Gb! :lol:

• Shocked 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Well, after poking around in the NOLVOS launcher (you don't launch skyrim from steam) it seems I could incorporate this mod! Now I just need to find it. I also discovered that the base game plus all the current mods installed weighs in at a  slim 293Gb! :lol:

When are you playing this? You're off tomorrow!

I..might have to actually give the game a go with this. I’ll wait for V6 to come out just because I’m just finishing Starfield today so I want some distance before doing more beth but just booting up Skyrim on deck and playing a little made me think I should give it an honest shot still and now this..could be a good late summer game or something. 

• Sicko 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I..might have to actually give the game a go with this. I’ll wait for V6 to come out just because I’m just finishing Starfield today so I want some distance before doing more beth but just booting up Skyrim on deck and playing a little made me think I should give it an honest shot still and now this..could be a good late summer game or something. 

Hell yea you should play this! At least try it out and give impressions. 

Just now, best3444 said:

You being serious? I think it won't launch until the next consoles so it has to look better than that?

I think it’ll be designed for current gen and be a cross gen game - so it’ll look more like a souped up Starfield but run at 4k/60 or whatever on next gen, maybe with some RT added.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I think it’ll be designed for current gen and be a cross gen game - so it’ll look more like a souped up Starfield but run at 4k/60 or whatever on next gen, maybe with some RT added.

That would blow. 

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I was ready to say "eh, what the hell" but seeing I'd need to pay $20 for the anniversary edition upgrade halted that thought in its tracks. 

According to my brief visit to Steam, you DO have the anniversary edition! :sun:

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

We are in the darkest time line my man, of course it will be cross gen! 

True. Maybe ES6 will be a big jump like Skyrim was to Oblivion. As in Starfield is the Oblivion and ES6 is Skyrim. It will be awesome regardless. 

• True 1

46 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

According to my brief visit to Steam, you DO have the anniversary edition! :sun:

Do I? It didn't mention I owned it on the Steam page. Does it show up in your library as anniversary edition? Because I only see Skyrim and Special Edition.

EDIT: Yeah, no DLC options when I right click the game to check properties, and when I install the game and open it, it just has a big ad for buying the anniversary upgrade. Classic Bethesda!