Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I don’t even feel good enough to play anything* - but it’s having to deal with customer service that is the worst!

*besides Castle Crumble 

Yea it's brutal. Terrible timing so hopefully I at least get mine today. My first game will be TLOU part 1 remake. 

• Hype 1

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

While SD CAN play AAA games (I've played GTAV, Spider-Man and Hogwart's on it), I think it is at its best playing indie titles (Vampire's Survivors, Brotato, Dave the Diver, etc.).  I just wish that indie devs would put in a version with UI/text that made the game more playable on the smaller screen.  Dave the Diver on SD is fun, but squinting to read the text is not.

Yeah I've played Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA IV on it and it works well, but yeah the smaller screen and battery make it really shine more with indies.

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I've played Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA IV on it and it works well, but yeah the smaller screen and battery make it really shine more with indies.

Well the battery situation is definitely different now!

Edit: (for people usps delivers correctly to)

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Fuckin hell. Did you contact steam yet?

Yeah I did but only a couple hours ago - was too annoyed last night.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

"Not my name but sure I'll take it!"

The fact it started out for delivery in the correct area then somehow ended up in another city makes me get a little wondering if they wanted a deck.

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm at the store. Hopefully it's done downloading when I get home. 

Hopefully you didn't hit the power button to turn off the screen while downloading.... That's the biggest annoyance I have with the Steam Deck, is that there's no "download in standby" mode. Putting it to sleep puts it fully to sleep. 

7 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Hopefully you didn't hit the power button to turn off the screen while downloading.... That's the biggest annoyance I have with the Steam Deck, is that there's no "download in standby" mode. Putting it to sleep puts it fully to sleep. 

Yeah but now it’s fine because it’s an oled so you can just leave the display on and ohhhhhhhh

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Are there any PCs that can download in sleep mode?

Yeah I don't think it's entirely accurate or descriptive to call it  a "sleep" issue so much as a "display" or "battery issue". It needlessly uses the battery to keep the display on while idle and downloading and, as stepee points out, with the OLED version it also potentially risks burn-in (depending on whatever mitigation techniques they've included, though I'm not familiar with this on the SD). 

I wonder if the release of the OLED version might actually usher in some changes to how the SD handles downloads, given these concerns. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

@stepee did you buy me all these games!?

If I buy TLOU from cdkeys what do I do to play on the deck?

You just need to add the key. You can do it from the app or from the deck itself. Cdkeys will email you a key. And you can even add it from the mobile app.

• Hype 1

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I don't think it's entirely accurate or descriptive to call it  a "sleep" issue so much as a "display" or "battery issue". It needlessly uses the battery to keep the display on while idle and downloading and, as stepee points out, with the OLED version it also potentially risks burn-in (depending on whatever mitigation techniques they've included, though I'm not familiar with this on the SD). 

I wonder if the release of the OLED version might actually usher in some changes to how the SD handles downloads, given these concerns. 

Yeah it’s more of a display issue - MS snd Valve should build a way though

Still no shipping date for me, but I went ahead and bought a bunch of games on sale that I've been interested in but never got around to that also feel like they'd be a good match for the deck.

Picked up Dave the Diver, Hades, Talos Principle 1 & 2, Disco Elysium, and Oxenfree. Started Dave the Diver already and it's great. Fun little bite sized game that seems like it would be really at home on the deck.