Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

On 12/2/2023 at 9:20 PM, stepee said:

Yessss my 2tb shipped early from Best Buy and is now saying Monday 

I have a Samsung 2 Tb 980 pro in the cart on Amazon and Best Buy for my ally. I'm just trying so hard to not spend more on myself until after the Christmas. I will NEVER EVER put another micro SD card in it. What a fail this is for ASUS, it's bad enough that it bricks them. like never to be used  again, can't reformat them can't use them in something else, BRICKS THEM! This is a great system other wise but this is lawsuit stuff! ! Will be nice to get a good amount of storage on this thing, 512gigs isn't close to enough. My SD has the 512g internal and 1TB micro and that's pretty good comparatively. I'd love a 4TB drive but $280-300 is a bit steep at least right now!

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I have a Samsung 2 Tb 980 pro in the cart on Amazon and Best Buy for my ally. I'm just trying so hard to not spend more on myself until after the Christmas. I will NEVER EVER put another micro SD card in it. What a fail this is for ASUS, it's bad enough that it bricks them. like never to be used  again, can't reformat them can't use them in something else, BRICKS THEM! This is a great system other wise but this is lawsuit stuff! ! Will be nice to get a good amount of storage on this thing, 512gigs isn't close to enough. My SD has the 512g internal and 1TB micro and that's pretty good comparatively. I'd love a 4TB drive but $280-300 is a bit steep at least right now!

A 980 Pro will not fit in a ROG Ally afaik. You need a 2230 sized PCIE m.2

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

A 980 Pro will not fit in a ROG Ally afaik. You need a 2230 sized PCIE m.2

This is correct. It’s the same as the steam deck - maybe there is some mod but those are always a bad idea.

This is the best thing to get imo and what I have in my ally and hopefully will have in my deck today:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-black-sn770m-2tb-internal-ssd-pcie-gen-4-x4-m-2-2230-for-rog-ally-and-steam-deck/6551144.p?skuId=6551144

Besides being the right spec and size and all I believe it’s the fastest you can get in it. 

@HardAct

If you think the Deck OLED battery is bad, the ROG Ally and Lenovo Go lose half their juice just booting into Windows!

But yeah, on less demanding stuff I easily get 10+ hours. Which is wild. That's like GBA SP battery life, and I haven't seen battery life like the GBA SP since the GBA SP!

I mean technically my phone can do its thing for a couple days without charging, but definitely not while actively gaming.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s only had like two business days since I shipped it really and it’s USPS on the holidays - I wouldn’t even worry unless it’s not there by like Friday 

Oh...my days are fucked up. I guess it will be fine then. Thanks 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Wouldn't you still have a good idea though? That's like the first step of delivering the mail. :p

No. We had absolutely nothing to do with deliveries. I mean sure, over the years I learned when our mail would get delivered but it had nothing to do with us. 

• Halal 1

19 hours ago, best3444 said:

See, I didn't even take that into consideration. I'm really new to this but boy oh boy is it a visual treat to play. Like I said the battery life is a none issue I was just curious. 

Yea really it's a better so called "Indie games" I think. I played a few AAA games on it but just wasn't satisfied by the performance. I play both the SD and Ally unplugged but have a 65 watt cord running along the arm of my couch for times where I'm playing extended periods of time. I'm not liking not having the Oled version as I already passed on the Switch Oled and that was hard enough lol!

4 hours ago, stepee said:

This is correct. It’s the same as the steam deck - maybe there is some mod but those are always a bad idea.

This is the best thing to get imo and what I have in my ally and hopefully will have in my deck today:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-black-sn770m-2tb-internal-ssd-pcie-gen-4-x4-m-2-2230-for-rog-ally-and-steam-deck/6551144.p?skuId=6551144

Besides being the right spec and size and all I believe it’s the fastest you can get in it. 

@HardAct

I knew it needed an adapter to run the full sized M.2 SSd's. I've been watching many Youtube videos doing this. USING THIS ADAPTER it's $15 bucks and I haven't seen anyone have an issue. It's great as you can slap one of THESE HERE copper heatsinks too. I added the SSD you linked to the cart but most 2-4Tb upgrades I've been watching are all using an adapter like I linked. I haven't even like searched full sized SSD upgrade for the Ally, It's just what people seem to be doing. I've watched at least 5 now all using them and the adapter!! Just searching HD Upgrade for ALLY. Yours is the easiest but the 980/990 pros from Samsung are faster {going to check now} pretty sure and cheaper at least for the 2Tb and that's what I'll be getting as jumping to a 4Tb is spendy. Especially right now around the holidays as ANOTHER "ME" gift. I just bought $500+ worth of Cordless tools getting ever closer to what I had pre CAMP FIRE! 

I’ve been aware of those hacks for ally and deck and I’m sure there are lots of youtube videos showing it because it makes a good video but I’d be curious if they do follow ups how it’s running a year later. I’m just personally not a big fan of just jamming shit in there - especially on a unit that can’t even restrain from melting micro sd cards.

Im sure it will work at least at first but I’d have concerns over damaging the unit long term.

43 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Yea really it's a better so called "Indie games" I think. I played a few AAA games on it but just wasn't satisfied by the performance. I play both the SD and Ally unplugged but have a 65 watt cord running along the arm of my couch for times where I'm playing extended periods of time. I'm not liking not having the Oled version as I already passed on the Switch Oled and that was hard enough lol!

I have 7 AAA games and they all run extremely well! OLED deck I am speaking about. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

any leads on finding something?

I get job notifications everyday but none are what I'm looking for. I want to pick a really good job because I don't want to bounce back and forth from jobs like I did in my early 20s. I'll eventually get something and thankfully I have a home etc so I have nothing to worry about. 

• Halal 2

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee no package today. Question. How do i get TLOU back after I deleted it?

When I get your card I want that back into my library. 

When you put the card in it will ask you to format it then when you click on install games moving forward it will give you the option to install there. You’ll just go to your library and select the game and then select the green install button.

Edit: I wanted to get the card out quickly specifically because even though I shipped Wednesday, I didn’t expect it to arrive until Wed-Fri so I’m not worried 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

When you put the card in it will ask you to format it then when you click on install games moving forward it will give you the option to install there. You’ll just go to your library and select the game and then select the green install button.

Edit: I wanted to get the card out quickly specifically because even though I shipped Wednesday, I didn’t expect it to arrive until Wed-Fri so I’m not worried 

Wait. As of now, I don't see TLOU anywhere on my deck. So you're saying once I put the card in it will come back lol...

Just now, best3444 said:

I did that today and TLOU is not there.

Im not sure what is happening because it definitely should be. We can figure it out when you get the card but you might need to try posting a picture of your library to give us an idea of what is happening 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im not sure what is happening because it definitely should be. We can figure it out when you get the card but you might need to try posting a picture of your library to give us an idea of what is happening 

Ok. Wtf... thanks 

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

When you look at TLOU in the store does it tell you that the game is already in your game library?

I just attempted to buy it and it doesn't say it's in my library. This sucks. Looking at my library now and will attempt a pic.