Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

55 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well fuck I might have to just order another 2tb WD because the fucking screw holding it down on my rog will NOT budge. I don’t get it. I obviously did this before to get it in there and now I have the extra screw drivers from Xbob’s set which worked great getting it open and I’m all ready to get it out but that ONE fucking screw. 

The ROG Ally isn’t the only one feeling betrayed 

• Haha 1

lol yep absolutely beaten by a single screw - I had my Dad come over and he brought a bunch of different screwdrivers and the thing just won’t budge at this point it’s (the screw itself) destroyed and in there permanently. lol did NOT expect that. At least I don’t need to deal with cloning the deck’s ssd today and just play now but yeeeeesh. We will try this again with a new one on Wednesday.

Plus side, this is probably going to my step dad at some point next year - and now he will have a 2tb!

Edit: I seriously think this is what @Brian said and being upset at me for betrayal. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol yep absolutely beaten by a single screw - I had my Dad come over and he brought a bunch of different screwdrivers and the thing just won’t budge at this point it’s (the screw itself) destroyed and in there permanently. lol did NOT expect that. At least I don’t need to deal with cloning the deck’s ssd today and just play now but yeeeeesh. We will try this again with a new one on Wednesday.

Plus side, this is probably going to my step dad at some point next year - and now he will have a 2tb!

Edit: I seriously think this is what @Brian said and being upset at me for betrayal. 

Send it to me, I’ll see if I can get the screw out

:whistlin:

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

I imagine the Toy Story setting where the Ally is talking to the other abandoned electronics and is like “wtf is happening? We were just best buds and now he is trying to rip my guts out!”  The others are sitting there showing a nodded head on their screens. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Man Doom Eternal with hdr on this thing is fucking incredible looking 

(Force compatibility with Proton 8.0-4 for ez hdr hax)

Edit: @best3444 if you want to see some great looking shit for $8.50 this is the one (but you need 80gb free) 

Oddly enough, hdr wasn't turned on in Horizon. So I said let's get that on. Well wouldn't you believe it not only does the game look better but all the performance issues I had disappeared. Does that even make sense?

I have 7 games now so I'm not buying anything else for awhile.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Oddly enough, hdr wasn't turned on in Horizon. So I said let's get that on. Well wouldn't you believe it not only does the game look better but all the performance issues I had disappeared. Does that even make sense?

lol yeah you really shouldn’t but something to keep in mind later - it’s a cool game. And that’s funny yeah make sure to check! You can see when hdr is on because it will show hdr next to the brightness setting - so you know if you need to look for the setting or not.

And yeah it’s stunning with hdr but idk it definitely shouldn’t help performance - might just looks so good you don’t notice the stutters :O

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol yeah you really shouldn’t but something to keep in mind later - it’s a cool game. And that’s funny yeah make sure to check! You can see when hdr is on because it will show hdr next to the brightness setting - so you know if you need to look for the setting or not.

And yeah it’s stunning with hdr but idk it definitely shouldn’t help performance - might just looks so good you don’t notice the stutters :O

Nope, stutter went completely away! I was in heavy combat etc and nothing lol. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

7 GAMES?!.......7 games, as in, seven?? 7 games and your bowing out? and you call yourself a gamer! I have over 7 games downloading or installing at any given time boy :nerd:{usually wouldn't add this but these days everyone's feelings get hurt so easily. That said friend, I'm joking. I mean absolutely NO OFFENCE man? Pease and Happy fucking holidays!!} 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HardAct said:

7 GAMES?!.......7 games, as in, seven?? 7 games and your bowing out? and you call yourself a gamer! I have over 7 games downloading or installing at any given time boy :nerd:{usually wouldn't add this but these days everyone's feelings get hurt so easily. That said friend, I'm joking. I mean absolutely NO OFFENCE man? Pease and Happy fucking holidays!!} 

Haha. Thanks man.

I absolutely love my deck but one negative I can say is the battery life is a complete joke. I never play handhelds so maybe I'm not too informed in this area. 

My God am I still impressed with how these games look. RDR2 is fuckin crazy on this. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I absolutely love my deck but one negative I can say is the battery life is a complete joke. I never play handhelds so maybe I'm not too informed in this area. 

My God am I still impressed with how these games look. RDR2 is fuckin crazy on this. 

It’s by far the best battery life of any handheld pc ever :P

Its runs something like Cyberpunk about as long as the Switch runs TOTK - what’s great is if you want more battery you can always just dial back settings to get more, if you were out and about and actually needed it

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s by far the best battery life of any handheld pc ever :P

Its runs something like Cyberpunk about as long as the Switch runs TOTK - what’s great is if you want more battery you can always just dial back settings to get more, if you were out and about and actually needed it

Interesting. See, I knew I was ignorant on this. It's a none issue for me because of my bed setup. I can easily plug it in while playing.

Yeah, I’m assuming you play it like I do running it at full tilt and get like 2.5-3 hours on a lot of stuff. On the old deck that might be like 1.25-1.5 hours.

It’s why I kind of consider the oled deck to be more powerful than the original even though technically it barely is. I used to adjust settings down so that there was what could be considered an actual portable battery life of at least 2 hours.

Whereas now I just push the unit as hard as I can because you still get realistic handheld performance when cranking it up so everything looks and runs better in my actual use than when I had the original.

The ROG Ally I basicialy didn’t play unplugged ever because to really get the benefit of the extra power and run it at high wattage you’d be looking at less than an hour.

• Hype 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

You're playing AAA games.  The battery life is much better on less demanding games.

I normally play AAA game on my desktop, and player indies (and older games) on my Deck,

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're playing AAA games.  The battery life is much better on less demanding games.

I normally play AAA game on my desktop, and player indies (and older games) on my Deck,

See, I didn't even take that into consideration. I'm really new to this but boy oh boy is it a visual treat to play. Like I said the battery life is a none issue I was just curious. 

Just now, best3444 said:

See, I didn't even take that into consideration. I'm really new to this but boy oh boy is it a visual treat to play. Like I said the battery life is a none issue I was just curious. 

On an LCD Deck -- you can get 1.5 hours on a modern game like Horizon, 3 hours on GTAV and 4 hours on something like FTL.