Michael Caine Officially Announces Retirement From Acting: ‘You Don’t Have Leading Men at 90’

SaysWho?

VARIETY.COM

Michael Caine has confirmed his official retirement from acting at age 90.

“I keep saying I’m going to retire. Well, I am now,” Caine said. He had previously suggested his retirement was imminent in an interview with The Telegraph last month, saying he was “sort of” retired.

His final turn on screen is in Oliver Parker’s “The Great Escaper,” a biographical film about World War II veteran Bernard Jordan breaking out of a care home to attend the 70th anniversary commemoration of D-Day in 2014. The film was released on Oct. 6.

“I’ve figured, I’ve had a picture where I’ve played the lead and it’s got incredible reviews,” Caine said. “The only parts I’m likely to get now are old men, 90-year-old men, maybe 85. And I thought, ‘Well, I might as well leave with all this — I’ve got wonderful reviews. What have I got to do to beat this?'” 

He added, “You don’t have leading men at 90, you’re going to have young handsome boys and girls.”

He'll be writing instead:

The actor also said he'll be leaning into a different creative outlet in the future: writing. His first book of fiction, a thriller titled "Deadly Game," releases this November.

When asked if he'll return to acting, Caine said "no."

"There'll be writing. I'll write another book sometime because I so enjoy writing," he said. "With writing, you don't have to get out of bed. All you need's pencil and a bit of paper and you can start."