Trump judge rules that COVID misinformation is "conservative free speech".

While I am wary of government influence on social media, I don't find the plaintiff's arguments here very compelling. I expressing a very negative opinion hardly counts as coercion or governmental action abridging freedom of speech.

Some of the statements that Doughty deemed to be coercion were made in public by Biden and other administration officials. "When asked about what his message was to social-media platforms when it came to COVID-19, President Biden stated: 'they're killing people. Look, the only pandemic we have is among the unvaccinated and that—they're killing people,'" Doughty wrote.

Imagine if this precedent held and government officials comments on the activity of media companies was deemed significant encouragement. How much of what Trump said about the media as President would fall under a similar umbrella?

14 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

While I am wary of government influence on social media, I don't find the plaintiff's arguments here very compelling. I expressing a very negative opinion hardly counts as coercion or governmental action abridging freedom of speech.

Imagine if this precedent held and government officials comments on the activity of media companies was deemed significant encouragement. How much of what Trump said about the media as President would fall under a similar umbrella?

There would be like 50 things a day that fell under this 

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I mean, sure, but you have to look at the things they got right, like the administration’s demands that Twitter take down a parody account which was specifically noted in the decision. It was banned 45 minutes later. The Laptop is another example where government had no reason to be demanding censorship beyond their worries of the effects on the election. 

Im all for taking powers from the federal government when it comes to censorship of speech and political opinions.

If SM wants to take it down on their own, that’s their right (as the judge pointed out), but it’s not ok to have the government request political speech be removed.  

9 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, sure, but you have to look at the things they got right, like the administration’s demands that Twitter take down a parody account which was specifically noted in the decision. It was banned 45 minutes later. The Laptop is another example where government had no reason to be demanding censorship beyond their worries of the effects on the election. 

Im all for taking powers from the federal government when it comes to censorship of speech and political opinions.

If SM wants to take it down on their own, that’s their right (as the judge pointed out), but it’s not ok to have the government request political speech be removed.  

lol all in on the new chud persona huh