Gonna be HOT in Texas next week.

CastletonSnob

Just now, Biggie said:

The planet is over 4 billion years old. Records haven’t been kept all that long. 

Kind of irrelevant considering the temperatures in that short period are quickly and easily exceeding previous records going back to your parents' and grandparents' lifetime, never mind the fact that we're contributing to it but not necessarily building smarter to adapt to it.

15 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Kind of irrelevant considering the temperatures in that short period are quickly and easily exceeding previous records going back to your parents' and grandparents' lifetime, never mind the fact that we're contributing to it but not necessarily building smarter to adapt to it.

Maybe you and your buddies should order more stuff from Amazon Prime Days. All those trucks zooming around should really cool things off!

My honest question sorta related to the Google thing would be why do you believe the earth is billions of years old (which requires trust in the same types of scientific methodology that shows us that humans are heating the planet at an alarming rate)? 

But at least you believe that. Many overconfident dullards don’t. 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Resorts to personal attacks when facts run out and no longer supports the argument. 

You already screwed up by moving goal posts here:

47 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Maybe you and your buddies should order more stuff from Amazon Prime Days. All those trucks zooming around should really cool things off!

instead of trying to learn since you're hugely unqualified on this.

tbh, I view you as a chimpanzee of sorts, you know? I'm Jane Goodall, just living among you. I figured you'd get lost when I started talking about science stuff, but you changed to, "but you exist in society," even quicker than I expected!

12 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

My honest question sorta related to the Google thing would be why do you believe the earth is billions of years old (which requires trust in the same types of scientific methodology that shows us that humans are heating the planet at an alarming rate)? 

But at least you believe that. Many overconfident dullards don’t. 

I mean, he still is an example of Dunning-Kruger. Him being inconsistent to try to be correct is part for the course, like a conspiracy theorist who makes up a new theory on the spot once their worldview is shattered.

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If I use emoticons it makes it seem like I'm not mad

Also, I wasn't insulting you by calling you a chimp! I'm just saying you're one of those people I like to observe and study since you're primitive, you know? Like you don't even know what a "catch phrase" is, which I didn't think was a term that could be misused, yet you're trying to keep up with a climate discussion!

Literally the only thing said was “it’s hot in summer and cold in winter” like that’s some fucking gotcha instead of the fact of physical life due to the earths axis but ignoring the record heat this spring all over the earth and record rainfalls and record nighttime low temperatures and record high ocean temperatures and sea level rise and record snowfall (hint: it’s cold rain) and yet also record droughts all of which are very real and powerful indicators of a warming planet due to human carbon emissions

but yes “summer hot, winter cold, and I don’t know what I’m talking about”

We know that the earth has been warmer in the past, the last interglacial demonstrates this, but human society was created under very precise ecological conditions that may not be the standard, but we also know it’s warning at a rate we’ve not seen in the past and as someone who grew up in so cal when smog days were still a thing, human activity directly contributes to it.

imagine getting mad about leaving the world a better place. Fuck it hedonism for all.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Literally the only thing said was “it’s hot in summer and cold in winter” like that’s some fucking gotcha instead of the fact of physical life due to the earths axis but ignoring the record heat this spring all over the earth and record rainfalls and record nighttime low temperatures and record high ocean temperatures and sea level rise and record snowfall (hint: it’s cold rain) and yet also record droughts all of which are very real and powerful indicators of a warming planet due to human carbon emissions

but yes “summer hot, winter cold, and I don’t know what I’m talking about”

cold_2x.png

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think it’s a matter of time before most people who deny that climate change is a direct result of human behavior change their minds and think it is, but it’s the fault of the woke or whatever. 

Oh yeah, this is already happening. There are “green” republicans running now that claim to support combating climate change but just doing in the RIGHT way not the woke way.

Whats obviously going to happen is as it becomes further impossible to deny climate change as a real threat is the issue becomes downplaying the severity and trying to push for more conservative and less effective “green” policies.

So you’ll start to see Republicans push policies that seem good for the environment and technically are better then the current state, but going about it in whatever way hurts corporations the least not what’s best for the environment.

Essentially it’s going to change from denial to trying to just squeeze every penny out of the environment that they still can before the results become too catastrophic to further trick the public.  Whatever that point is and how soon it comes probably will be a big factor in the whole planet remaining habitable thing.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh yeah, this is already happening. There are “green” republicans running now that claim to support combating climate change but just doing in the RIGHT way not the woke way.

Whats obviously going to happen is as it becomes further impossible to deny climate change as a real threat is the issue becomes downplaying the severity and trying to push for more conservative and less effective “green” policies.

So you’ll start to see Republicans push policies that seem good for the environment and technically are better then the current state, but going about it in whatever way hurts corporations the least not what’s best for the environment.

Essentially it’s going to change from denial to trying to just squeeze every penny out of the environment that they still can before the results become too catastrophic to further trick the public.  Whatever that point is and how soon it comes probably will be a big factor in the whole planet remaining habitable thing.

They've kind of already been doing that. Trump was an outlier in that aspect by simply being an idiot about it.

But there is hope! I spoke at a climate conference this year, and I can tell you the climate scientists were excited as hell for the Inflation Reduction Act's climate provisions, of which there were tons. It's the first time they feel the train's actually gotten out of the station.

And you know the conversation we have about India/China being worse than we are so why should we do anything? Those conversations also happened in other countries in relation to the U.S. On Reset less than a year ago, a user talked about how Australian politicians would argue that the country shouldn't do anything when the U.S. is worse. And yet this year:

6000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Deal between Labor government and Greens requires total emissions from big industrial sites to come down, not just be offset

01000000-0a00-0242-6cb7-08db31b5afd1_cx0
WWW.VOANEWS.COM

Major polluters targeted, but analysts warn against Australia’s continued use of gas

So action's being taken! And more is happening and needs to happen. And even in these victories, there will likely be some things we don't like as much or things we think still need to be targeted. Unfortunately, a certain amount of warming is baked in no matter what we do, so the world is going to warm for a while, but if we keep the ceiling to that as low as possible, we can begin to reverse it sooner. Our world may be warmer for our lifetime, but if we keep this up, our children's and grandchildren's will be better, and we can say we helped via votes and advocacy.

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

I’d imagine some conservatives are just waiting for the marching orders to switch from denial to debate over policy because it has to be frustrating to essentially be forced to be ignorant about something very very obviously true. South Park owned up, now it’s their turn, but they’ll probably do it with less humility.

• Halal 1