IT and Flash Director Andy Muschietti To Direct Batman The Brave and The Bold

GettyImages-1252177866-e1686877800916.jp
DEADLINE.COM

Andy Muschietti Set to Direct 'Batman: Brave and the Bold', director also inks overall deal with Warner Bros Pictures & Television.

He also has an overall deal with Warner's and will be developing an IT prequel series for MAX. This movie will be seperate from Matt Reeves film and will focus on Batman's relationship with his son Damien.

This new movie will feature Batman and his son, Damien Wayne, as Robin “who is a little son of a bitch,” Gunn teased earlier this year. “Assassin, murderer who Batman takes on, who is Batman’s actual son that he doesn’t know exists for the first 8-10 years of his life….it’s a strange father-and-son story about the two of them and based on Grant Morrison’s run of the Batman.”

• Guillotine 1

The Russo Bros are kind of an odd case... I don't have an issue with someone doing a character's movies and then an ensemble. What did Gunn do in the MCU other than Guardians?

It's just a vibe anyway, if we get to the point where we have enough DCU movies that I have to worry about having too many good ones... I'll be thrilled :p

I'm assuming Batman: The Brave and the Bold will be part of the new official DCEU and not an Elseworlds tale like Joker, Joker 2, and The Batman. I'm also assuming/hoping audiences don't get confused with Elseworlds movies of the same characters also being in the official DCEU played by different actors all at the same time as also getting audiences to forget recent interpretations of these same characters in the now dead old DCEU. I can see audiences either getting confused or not caring.

23 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm assuming Batman: The Brave and the Bold will be part of the new official DCEU and not an Elseworlds tale like Joker, Joker 2, and The Batman. I'm also assuming/hoping audiences don't get confused with Elseworlds movies of the same characters also being in the official DCEU played by different actors all at the same time as also getting audiences to forget recent interpretations of these same characters in the now dead old DCEU. I can see audiences either getting confused or not caring.

Let's put it like this... COMIC readers got confused by all of the different interpretations of the same characters in the DCU which lead to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths comic back in the 80's. It's also why DC has rebooted its comic universe multiple times since then and Marvel has never rebooted their whole universe once. It was confusing for avid comic readers so I can imagine its gonna be confusing for casual movie fans as well eventually. As far as Batman goes, DC should do whatever they can to keep Ben Affleck in the role in the main DCU rather than introducing a whole new actor, especially if he gets to to play Bat-dad to a spoiled, arrogant Damian. That may appeal to him.

22 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

It's unfortunate that DC continues to make the same mistakes.

This.

15 hours ago, Brick said:

Guess James Gunn really did love The Flash if he had confidence to get him as director for a new Batman movie. 

Or the higher ups above him really did, or Muschietti has carte blanche with the studio now and they want to keep him happy. Remember thos Flash movie predates Gunn by a while.

• True 1

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Let's put it like this... COMIC readers got confused by all of the different interpretations of the same characters in the DCU which lead to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths comic back in the 80's. It's also why DC has rebooted its comic universe multiple times since then and Marvel has never rebooted their whole universe once. It was confusing for avid comic readers so I can imagine its gonna be confusing for casual movie fans as well eventually. As far as Batman goes, DC should do whatever they can to keep Ben Affleck in the role in the main DCU rather than introducing a whole new actor, especially if he gets to to play Bat-dad to a spoiled, arrogant Damian. That may appeal to him.

Yeah all makes sense, as a regular rather than hardcore comic book reader back in the day I know I was certainly confused at first. I hope Gunn and all can pull it off since this clearly isn't a clean break to restart. 

I think WB needs to worry more about getting people to give a shit about their movies other than ones with Batman in the title before they sweat the continuity stuff too much. I don't think people are that confused by Batfleck and Battinson. The only real fuckup I could see them making would be releasing them within a few months of each other or something.

I dunno, I feel like they're a couple layers removed from having people care enough about the continuity for that to be a problem, the movie brand just isn't putting asses in seats. Not that is isn't AN issue, I think addressing that is a less dramatic version of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Multiverse of Madness made close to a billion dollars and to get the whole vibe you'd need to have seen 3 Avengers movies, 1 Captain America movie, watched a Disney + show, and have a passing familiarity with the Captain Marvel movie, the Inhumans show that few people watched and fewer likes, and be aware of the Fantastic Four?

Maybe I'm wrong?

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Multiverse of Madness made close to a billion dollars and to get the whole vibe you'd need to have seen 3 Avengers movies, 1 Captain America movie, watched a Disney + show, and have a passing familiarity with the Captain Marvel movie, the Inhumans show that few people watched and fewer likes, and be aware of the Fantastic Four?

You forgot having seen at least ONE Xmen movie AND being familiar with the 90's Xmen Cartoon so that theme made sense.

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Maybe I'm wrong?

I think you are for a couple of reasons, one it took Marvel the better part of 15 years to get to the point where they could confidently play around with this multiverse stuff and not only have people not be confused, but actively enjoy it AND get all of the little Easter eggs and stuff they snuck in. They mostly stuck to ONE timeline and then referenced previous movies and iterations of characters from that. DC has been all over the place with how they've handled this... I guess Black Adam and Shazam take place in th Snyderverse? What about the Suicide Squad movies? Is the second one a direct sequel to the first? What about Birds of Prey? All of this stuff is confusing. Contrast how they've handled the cinematic stuff with the CW Arrowverse which was MUCH more coherent and tighter than how the cinematic stuff had been so far, even when they tackled the multiverse stuff.

Two, as I've said before we've seen how confusing DC handles this stuff in the comics which had led to them rebooting their Universe what, Four times in the last 40 years?

I agree WBDC should just focus on making good movies, but they have so much stuff coming out with the TV shows and movies that I forsee it definitely getting confusing for folks who don't live on the internet.

• True 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think you are for a couple of reasons, one it took Marvel the better part of 15 years to get to the point where they could confidently play around with this multiverse stuff and not only have people not be confused, but actively enjoy it AND get all of the little Easter eggs and stuff they snuck in. They mostly stuck to ONE timeline and then referenced previous movies and iterations of characters from that. DC has been all over the place with how they've handled this... I guess Black Adam and Shazam take place in th Snyderverse? What about the Suicide Squad movies? Is the second one a direct sequel to the first? What about Birds of Prey? All of this stuff is confusing. Contrast how they've handled the cinematic stuff with the CW Arrowverse which was MUCH more coherent and tighter than how the cinematic stuff had been so far, even when they tackled the multiverse stuff.

Yeah I agree with this - average viewers, regular people that is, don't keep up with most of this stuff. Even I get confused, I have no idea what will "count" and not count for the upcoming DCEU and what's an Elseworlds tale and what's dead from the old DCEU. Hearing things like Henry Cavill is out as Superman, but we might be keeping Jason Momoa as Aquaman is weird. James Gunn's The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are direct sequels to Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey (multiple characters from Suicide Squad re-appear in The Suicide Squad, Gunn can distance it from the original film all he wants, it's a sequel when you watch it). So are Gunns' stuff gonna carry over to the new DCEU? If so, that's inherently carrying some of the old DCEU in terms of actors/characters. I mean, Momoa and Miller show up as The Flash and Aquaman at the end of Peacemaker and Gunn said he's making Peacemaker season 2 after he does his Superman film so is Peacemaker in the old DCEU or the new DCEU? Gonna be strange.

But then we're gonna get multiple iterations of the Joker (Joaquin Phoenix in Joker, Barry Keoghan in The Batman, and whoever they use for the "proper" DCEU timeline) all at the same time when we just got Jared Leto and Heath Ledger before that. Same will happen with Batman. I don't think regular viewers care about continuity too much, but it is confusing and I imagine drives viewers away, at least in part. In the end I only care about getting good movies, but this doesn't help.

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.DARKHORIZONS.COM

DC Studios co-chief James Gunn has confirmed that “The Batman” director Matt Reeves is developing a series set within Gunn and Peter Safran’s new DC Universe. Reeves is slated to direct...

So this series by Reeves is in the DCEU but The Batman by the same director isn't? Again... confusing.

• True 1

58 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So I really haven’t followed the DCEU stuff. Are we not getting another Pattinson Batman movie? Because that one was actually really good and I was looking forward to more. 

There is going to be a sequel. It is planned to come out October 3, 2025. Reeves wants to make a trilogy and the Batman movies are separate from the DCEU.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So I really haven’t followed the DCEU stuff. Are we not getting another Pattinson Batman movie? Because that one was actually really good and I was looking forward to more. 

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is going to be a sequel. It is planned to come out October 3, 2025. Reeves wants to make a trilogy and the Batman movies are separate from the DCEU.

You forgot they're also making the Penguin series that's connected to Reeves Batman trilogy.