Reddit to kill third-party apps July 1 with new draconian API pricing and rules

Their new rules for third party apps would:

• Demand payments for API access. Popular apps such as Apollo or Reddit Iss Fun would need to pay upwards of $20 million per year
  • Ban any ads on third party apps. Official app would still have ads
  • Ban all adult content on third party apps. Official app would still have adult content

This info is so far coming from the largest app makers, I don't have a link yet (but same details confirmed by Apollo and RIF devs below). 

vUbPJh1aGE65TVJs0jtlXLHuUqtfFRikKQh-Wjl7
OLD.REDDIT.COM

Hey all, I'll cut to the chase: 50 million requests costs $12,000, a figure far more than I ever could have imagined. Apollo made 7 billion...

So glad that a champion of the open internet like reddit is following in Twitter's footsteps! And, much like Twitter, the official reddit app is the worst to use.

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

I’m fine with all social media burning to the ground. 

It's so strange that reddit is considered social media nowadays (I don't disagree), when it started as a news aggregate site similar to Digg/Fark. Though it's not really a message board, it's one of the few surviving similar sites from that era that is still very popular.

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

Will this affect Reddit Enhancement Suite? That's all I really care about.

No, but given what a dumb decision killing third party apps is, I'm sure old reddit and RES will eventually get the chopping block too. 

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Never understood the appeal of old Reddit either. 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think reddit in general has always looked bad, but old reddit looks worse than the redesign, yes.

The redesign is just garbage mobile trash. I can't believe there are people who actually like it. I'm not defending old Reddit either. It's not great, but I don't want like 3 giant blocks taking up all the space.

Actually just tested it and I can see 17 threads at once on the old design. On the redesign, I see 4, and I very much dislike that all videos are auto-expanded, at least by default. I don't want to browse a feed of content. I want to see threads. I pretty much never use the activity feed on D1P.

12 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Never understood the appeal of old Reddit either. 

The only reason I started using Reddit is because I found Apollo in 2016 or 2017.

I can’t stand the old Reddit design. If Apollo stops working, I’ll probably just leave Reddit. The official app is awful the few times I’ve tried it out. 

I’m wondering if they saw some metrics on users/usage from before and after Twitter did this? It seems likely that blocking 3rd party interfaces is probably the right business decision. It killed my usage of Twitter though as the native app is just not a great experience.

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The redesign is just garbage mobile trash. I can't believe there are people who actually like it. I'm not defending old Reddit either. It's not great, but I don't want like 3 giant blocks taking up all the space.

Actually just tested it and I can see 17 threads at once on the old design. On the redesign, I see 4, and I very much dislike that all videos are auto-expanded, at least by default. I don't want to browse a feed of content. I want to see threads. I pretty much never use the activity feed on D1P.

Yeah I don’t know what any of that means. I use Apollo and RES where I can tell it to do what I want. 

26 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm so used to scrolling everything at this point that I just don't notice or care. And since I check a lot of mini painting subreddits, having image previews makes me see more content more quickly.

12 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah I don’t know what any of that means. I use Apollo and RES where I can tell it to do what I want. 

I'm talking about desktop lol. I am unaware of RES even existing on mobile. I unaware of anyone using "old reddit" mobile. I don't even have an iphone to use apollo.

Never owned an Apple product and never will :dab2:

this is what IOS users deserve

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

How do you not use BaconReader?

Never heard of it.

Also, what I hate about RIF is their "cards". It is just such a shit format and it makes the reddit app look good.

reddit app

PEQiIoR.png

RIF

iJS1UkG.png

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Never heard of it.

Also, what I hate about RIF is their "cards". It is just such a shit format and it makes the reddit app look good.

reddit app

PEQiIoR.png

RIF

iJS1UkG.png

Yeah a lot of apps suck, no shit. :p BaconReader doesn't.

image.png

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Nevermind. WTF are those ads just lingering at the bottom of my screen

Oh yeah I did pay the $3 to remove the ads a long time ago, obviously a dubious investment at this point though.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

I'm talking about desktop lol. I am unaware of RES even existing on mobile. I unaware of anyone using "old reddit" mobile. I don't even have an iphone to use apollo.

Never owned an Apple product and never will :dab2:

this is what IOS users deserve

Yeah I use RES on Desktop. So I don’t know what you’re talking about when you say you only see a few posts at a time or whatever. I see just slightly less than I see on old Reddit but it doesn’t look like ass.