How do you feel about people working while high or drunk?

Fizzzzle

I’ve never gone to work drunk of high. I actually don’t drink at all and have had 1/2 can of beer since turning legal. Weed I sometimes take a shitload of during the day, but not for work (although I wish) I’ve had a grade 10 teacher who was clearly an alcoholic, and a few years later had an outburst on a student and let go. Kept a locked bottle of “water” in his closet in the class but had a sip and a banana, but always winced with the swig. Co-worker who got me into weed, sure as hell smoked it between stores. The guys tolerance was pretty huge and worked like a beast. He could clear a full skid of pop in 10minutes when he goes beast mode. Then I worked at the pot shop and got a mixed bag of some who were functional (manager) key-holder all over the place (was bi-polar and bi) and new district assistant managers who hot boxed the car and then proceeded to come in and talk business. They would listen to anything, and they got too chatty with customers who were just trying to leave the store. Literally kept a couple in the store for 10min chatting about their favourite weed, running into stock room to show product (in Canada they can’t see or smell from container, unless they tore open for a store display) 

now I have tokes up for my endoscopy/colonoscopy and dental appointments. Just help keep the nerves at bay, especially for the dental. I was up front and told them I toked and she just said “whatever helps you”

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I’ve never gone to work drunk of high. I actually don’t drink at all and have had 1/2 can of beer since turning legal. Weed I sometimes take a shitload of during the day, but not for work (although I wish) I’ve had a grade 10 teacher who was clearly an alcoholic, and a few years later had an outburst on a student and let go. Kept a locked bottle of “water” in his closet in the class but had a sip and a banana, but always winced with the swig. Co-worker who got me into weed, sure as hell smoked it between stores. The guys tolerance was pretty huge and worked like a beast. He could clear a full skid of pop in 10minutes when he goes beast mode. Then I worked at the pot shop and got a mixed bag of some who were functional (manager) key-holder all over the place (was bi-polar and bi) and new district assistant managers who hot boxed the car and then proceeded to come in and talk business. They would listen to anything, and they got too chatty with customers who were just trying to leave the store. Literally kept a couple in the store for 10min chatting about their favourite weed, running into stock room to show product (in Canada they can’t see or smell from container, unless they tore open for a store display) 

now I have tokes up for my endoscopy/colonoscopy and dental appointments. Just help keep the nerves at bay, especially for the dental. I was up front and told them I toked and she just said “whatever helps you”

Do you smoke weed every day? If so, have you ever took a break from it and got withdrawal from it? I ask because that happened to me and it really blows. Because weed overall is a beautiful thing but the withdrawal i had really sucked. It's litteraly the only bad thing I got from weed. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Do you smoke weed every day? If so, have you ever took a break from it and got withdrawal from it? I ask because that happened to me and it really blows. Because weed overall is a beautiful thing but the withdrawal i had really sucked. It's litteraly the only bad thing I got from weed. 

I do smoke everyday before supper and bed. I have gone a couple days a few times and I wouldn’t say I have withdrawal effect but it does make mundane things interesting/fun. I need it for eating as my long hauler shit from Covid has really hit back this past week or 2. A couple of days ago, even the weed wasn’t working too well. Sleep is still hit/miss after a few bowls but I blame most of the issues now with my allergies. Just call me the boy in the bubble when I’m home from work, cause my car has a layer of green film on it.

8 hours ago, silentbob said:

I do smoke everyday before supper and bed. I have gone a couple days a few times and I wouldn’t say I have withdrawal effect but it does make mundane things interesting/fun. I need it for eating as my long hauler shit from Covid has really hit back this past week or 2. A couple of days ago, even the weed wasn’t working too well. Sleep is still hit/miss after a few bowls but I blame most of the issues now with my allergies. Just call me the boy in the bubble when I’m home from work, cause my car has a layer of green film on it.

What happens to me is if I smoke for let's say a week or two straight then suddenly stop, I get withdrawal. Symptoms are high anxiety, sweating, panic attacks, loss of appetite, and issues sleeping. Even when I do edibles in the same way I always suffer from withdrawal. Oh well. If I could afford it I'd use marijuana every day. It's a miracle drug provided to us from Earth. 

I stay clean now because I can't afford shit lol. 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:07 PM, best3444 said:

I read and understand everything you're saying. It's still inexcusable but it's the norm in that industry and most likely always will be. Doesn't make it right, though.

What’s inexcusable about a server smoking a joint? 

if your job is dangerous, absolutely. The idea of a server smoking a joint to get by is inexcusable is some real puritan shit. Also, intoxication from alcohol and marijauna are nothing alike. Yes you’re still inebriated, but I certainly don’t know anyone who smokes a joint and makes a scene in public, goes home and beats their wife, or any of the other awful things alcohol causes. When people get high they get hungry or go to sleep. 

Now, obviously if your boss is against it, they have all the right to fire you. But “inexcusable”. Nah… Nothing that isn’t harming you is inexcusable. 

On 5/19/2023 at 8:13 AM, best3444 said:

What happens to me is if I smoke for let's say a week or two straight then suddenly stop, I get withdrawal. Symptoms are high anxiety, sweating, panic attacks, loss of appetite, and issues sleeping. Even when I do edibles in the same way I always suffer from withdrawal. Oh well. If I could afford it I'd use marijuana every day. It's a miracle drug provided to us from Earth. 

I stay clean now because I can't afford shit lol. 

Miracle drug is a bit strong. It’s relaxing, but it’s no miracle.

Same as pain, it doesn’t really take it away, but it helps you ignore it a bit. Certainly nothing is good for you in too large of amounts. Everything in moderation. 

If they don't act any differently while drunk or high I wouldn't care, but that seems to rarely be the case in my experience. On occasion, in my personal life outside of work I've  sometimes found it irritating to be around people who are drunk or high when I'm not, so I imagine in a work setting where e.g. safety, efficiency, correctness, etc. are key it would be especially annoying having to deal with someone not in their right mind, as they're making my job harder too. 

On 5/17/2023 at 5:43 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I think it's important to remember that being a cook, bartender, or server is an incredibly stressful job. If you do it long enough, you *will* get PTSD. If you haven't done it that long, it may sound like I'm being hyperbolic, but I'm not. It's very common to have nightmares and panic attacks. Ask anyone who's ever been a server or a cook for longer than a year if they have nightmares.

That's why I don't blame people for self medicating. Until medicare covers mental health, I don't blame them at all.

I was a server and a bartender for like 5 years never smoked or drank at work. Sometimes it was great other times it was absolutely miserable. Definitely never had PTSD though. I had a few experiences I still remember many years later but I never really thought about work after clocking out.

The job is thankless, incredibly stressful at times, the money is usually not great but it wasn't the most stressful job I had, not by a longshot. I would say most of my stress at that point in time came from worrying about making ends meet and keeping a roof over my head during the slow times.

A lot of my coworkers were high or drunk and I really didnt care at all, I was more amazed at their ability to keep it together while being high as hell.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Miracle drug is a bit strong. It’s relaxing, but it’s no miracle.

Same as pain, it doesn’t really take it away, but it helps you ignore it a bit. Certainly nothing is good for you in too large of amounts. Everything in moderation. 

You're absolutely correct about everything in moderation. I have a difficult time with everything in my life because I'm an addict/abuser. :/