Samsung is now going to buy and use LG (W)OLED panels

Spork3245

I'm disappointed in this. It's a concession that Samsung wasn't able to make a profit selling OLEDs. As someone who has been part of the OLED cult for the last few years, I'm always rooting for more competition to drive prices down and increase innovation. OLEDs have gotten cheaper and better over the years, but I was really hoping having Samsung commit to the tech would drive that faster. If no one other than LG can make TV sized OLED panels for profit, it kinda resigns it to be the high end for the foreseeable future.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

Ours is a Sammy household. We have five Sammy TV's and one of them is the first 720p TV we bought back in 2006 and its still cranking along downstairs. Another is the 50" I bought for my wife right after we got married in 2010 (one of those 3D TV's) and it's the one she uses nightly to this day. 

I bought an LG once and it was kinda shit lol. I ended up returning it and getting the Sammy 4K I game on right now.

So I'm not sure how I feel about this news.

7 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I bought an LG once and it was kinda shit lol.

I’ll go out on a limb and assume you bought a low-end cheap LG and not an OLED :p 

Anyway, LG Electronics is not the same as the LG (LG Display) who produces and sells OLED panels. 

13 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Article doesn't mention Samsung dropping their QD OLED so I take it because they have only 6% of the market they are just trying to get more TVs out there in their name. And this deal is actually improving competition by helping LG stay out of the red. Unless there's a piece of other news I'm missing?

No one said they weren’t going to make QD-OLEDs anymore :confused:

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I’ll go out on a limb and assume you bought a low-end cheap LG and not an OLED :p 

Anyway, LG Electronics is not the same as the LG (LG Display) who produces and sells OLED panels.

I bought a low-end LG that was shit, then exchanged it for a low-end Samsung that has been excellent. 

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m 100% certain that both are likely shit.

I guess it depends on how stuck-up you are. Compared to the 13-inch black and white tv I was raised on, it's pretty damn nice.

The LG had image retention on the first day, which is why it went back.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I guess it depends on how stuck-up you are. Compared to the 13-inch black and white tv I was raised on, it's pretty damn nice.

gorilla GIF by FirstAndMonday

Low end is low end, and neither Samsung nor LG are who to look at in the low end tiers. TCL and Hisense smack both Samsung and LG low-ends around, hard. Brand loyalty is the silliest thing with electronics; get the most for your money.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The LG had image retention on the first day, which is why it went back.

An LED had image retention?

38 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

You should have hung out with me. You could have played playstation with me on my 19 inch zenith color TV! :o