Ubisoft+ (All games and DLC day one) comes to Xbox for an extra $18 a month

crispy4000

Finally! Needs to add ps5 too but this was the console that matters to me more since it’s my bedroom console. Since ubi is cross save now this will keep me subscribed more often for sure. Can’t wait for Mirage. I want to play the new Valhalla ending quest and more Far Cry 6 on the new build so I might sub now.

This is basically the premium cable-like model I believed we’d see Games Pass leading to in the long ru.

The big console manufactures provide their own games, court indies, and the occasional AAA from willing publishers.  Then the big boys try upsell you on their own all inclusive packages.  Or don’t at all, in the case of companies like 2K relying on a few mega franchises.

Good news is that there’s still Microsoft’s EA Play basic deal and Ubisoft Classics deal with Sony.  So it’s not totally black and white.

There’s also Call of Duty selling Battle Passes on top of existing Battle Passes now (BlackCell).  Who knows if that continues under Microsoft’s ownership.  But that could be yet another direction forward under a game subscription future.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is the least exciting thing for me. There are few ubisoft games I'd want to play and I certainly wouldn't be shelling out $18 a month to play them. This actually makes game pass look like a way better deal.

If anything it will save me money. Try out the new hit game for $18 and then cancel.

5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

If anything it will save me money. Try out the new hit game for $18 and then cancel.

I sub on and off though probably more on than I need to if I was trying to save the most money but I think this can be a good deal. Like even if you take two months to play a new AC game day1 that’s $36 and you’ll get all deluxe edition dlc and now can play on xbox and pc which for me is awesome.

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is the least exciting thing for me. There are few ubisoft games I'd want to play and I certainly wouldn't be shelling out $18 a month to play them. This actually makes game pass look like a way better deal.

It should expected to be a way better deal, even after the eventual price hike.  Microsoft makes extra money on royalties, accessories and Gold-only subscriptions.  Those revenue streams are closed to other publishers.

11 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't see how Ubi feels this is sustainable when they release like, one major game a year (if that).

What's their retention strategy?

Do they plan on publishing smaller indie games like they used to?

So many questions.

In a way it’s nice, there is no fomo if you want to just sub, beat, cancel whenever they do release a big game. It’s the one service Im really good about that with because it’s so obvious there will be months of no new content worth being subscribed for.

It is quite strange, for the price, you’d think they would have SOME strategy for retention but this is just zero. And this has been around for like 4 or so years now I think.

15 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't see how Ubi feels this is sustainable when they release like, one major game a year (if that).

What's their retention strategy?

Do they plan on publishing smaller indie games like they used to?

So many questions.

I think since the only games they offer are their own games that there is very little risk for them compared to a Microsoft that has to cut deals. This is more of like a "it's there" type of thing while game pass is something that takes a bit more effort.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I sub on and off though probably more on than I need to if I was trying to save the most money but I think this can be a good deal. Like even if you take two months to play a new AC game day1 that’s $36 and you’ll get all deluxe edition dlc and now can play on xbox and pc which for me is awesome.

Bro, Ubisoft games are cheaper than $36 after two months. 

15 minutes ago, Brian said:

Bro, Ubisoft games are cheaper than $36 after two months. 

Exactly so you can still play day1 for $18 beat the game in a month, then buy it for $20 in two months so you spend $38, get to play the game day1 with all dlc, and then still own the game long term. Profit!

$18 for only Ubisoft games feels steep. Sure it’s day one, but right now the games seemingly do come to GamePass that has more games, includes Live, is cross platform with PC for $15/mo. I just don’t see the value. 

if it was getting included with GamePass to take GamePass from $15 to $18, then sure, it’s a good deal. But another $18/mo for only Ubisoft games even if Ubisoft games are removed from GamePass and never go to GamePass doesn’t feel like a good deal either. They don’t have the output right now. They’d need a new big game or big expansion every month or two.