Inside Amazon Studios: Big Swings Hampered by Confusion and Frustration (The Hollywood Reporter)

2023_03-Amazon-04-final.jpg?w=2000
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Despite ambitious bets like 'Daisy Jones & The Six' and the upcoming 'Citadel,' insiders complain that there’s still "no vision for what an Amazon Prime show is." But chief Jen Salke says they are missing the point: "You don’t reverse-engineer true creative vision."

Many current and former Amazon executives, as well as showrunners who have series at the streamer and agents who make deals there, believe that this is no accident. They describe Amazon Studios as a confusing and frustrating place to do business. When it comes to movies, where Amazon’s footprint is expanding following the $8.5 billion acquisition of MGM a year ago, a veteran producer says that, in recent years, “there has been no sense of what the philosophy is.”

On the series side, numerous sources say they cannot discern what kind of material Salke and head of television Vernon Sanders want to make. A showrunner with ample experience at the studio says, “There’s no vision for what an Amazon Prime show is. You can’t say, ‘They stand for this kind of storytelling.’ It’s completely random what they make and how they make it.” Another showrunner with multiple series at Amazon finds it baffling that the streamer hasn’t had more success: Amazon has “more money than God,” this person says. “If they wanted to produce unbelievable television, they certainly have the resources to do it.” 

The question that makes many in Hollywood nervous is whether the Amazon Studios overlords in Seattle believe they are getting enough bang for their megabucks. The last thing the industry wants at a time of belt-tightening is a cutback in spending from a deep-pocketed buyer. According to Salke, that concern is misguided. “The proof exists that the giant tentpole shows are driving people to subscribe to Prime,” she says. “Do we pressure ourselves to be more disciplined, more strategic? Of course. We consistently examine if we’re producing the right amount of content at the right value to drive the most engagement across our service.”

What generates some of the frustration that sources cite in dealings with Amazon is that Salke, who was previously president of NBC Entertainment, seems to be pursuing conflicting goals. Despite her assertion that Amazon is “a home for talent,” insiders say the mandate is increasingly not on finding the kind of curated hit that defines HBO, but more middle-of-the-road, meat-and-potatoes shows like Jack Reacher. “We’re so desperate right now for safe hits,” an Amazon exec says. (Netflix has also been pursuing broader material.)

But at the same time, current and former Amazon executives say Salke has a pattern of “chasing what she perceives as hot,” as one insider puts it. That person cites as examples paying a premium for Daisy Jones because of the Witherspoon connection, or making a Dead Ringers series, based on the 1988 David Cronenberg film, that came with Rachel Weisz attached. Salke makes deals with auteur talent to “deliver Jack Reacher results,” says an Amazon veteran. “But they don’t.”

It's a pretty extensive, interesting article!

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Brian said:
courtesy_of_prime_000.jpg?w=1600&h=900&c
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Executive-produced by the Russo brothers, this globe-trotting spy thriller stars Richard Madden and Priyanka Chopra Jonas. Too bad it’s so bland.

$50m an episode

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

I'd love to know where that money went because it sure as hell looks about on par as one of those "CBS Crime" shows visually.

I mean, Citadel is something else, from the Russo Brothers, who also see AI as an inevitability.

Courtesy_of_Prime___CIDL_S1_FG_AGBO_VFX_
WWW.POLYGON.COM

There are too many spies on TV to bother with these two, unfortunately

d8ffc1fe90de4d010807a947585b11eb.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Joe Russo has a lot of predictions about the future of artificial intelligence in cinema

• Haha 1

That’s a pretty interesting article. I dunno if I agree that all the other streamers have a clear vision. Other than apple+ who seem to enjoy living in the “this show is fantastic and also fucking weird” space. Netflix and Hulu I feel make shit that’s all over the place. 

Honestly I don’t think any of them have successfully pulled off an HBO level show. When HBO gets one right they still feel like truly the elite level of TV. Amazon doesn’t feel a ton different to me other than they don’t seem to ever hit quite as big as the others. I dunno if I call a studio that produces The Boys as “looking for safe hits” either. I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Why is it bad to not have a style and instead be willing to greenlight all kinds of shows?

Because it mostly seems like they are throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, instead of actually green lighting stuff fans want.

Honestly, aside from Rings of Power, Critical Roles cartoon, and a documentary called The Giant Killer, I can’t think of anything else I have started and actually finished there in years. They do have Air coming up, and im definitely looking forward to that, but 160m for it seems ridiculous. Affleck and Damon basically broke even before the movie released, it reportedly cost 90m to shoot.

The notion that any of these streaming services have any kind of "brand identity" beyond Disney+ and maaaaybe HBO in the Game of Thrones era is bananas, but I'm sure they all spend heaps of cash on market research that suggests the opposite.